Used 2004 Ford Explorer XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Turkey Here
By Turkey Here

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

At 45,500 miles the front wheel bearings needed to be replaced so I did $ 780. The dealer took the occasion then also to try to take my head off with an unneeded rear end replacement for a gargantuan sum. We didn't even get to talk about the repair needed to the back of the driver's front seat. I should have expected the problems, I guess, because there certainly is enough press about this car. But this was my 6th new Ford and the others were bulletproof. So I guess it was to be expected. No extended warranty and under water for a serious amount, so I guess I'll have this one for a bunch and have more tales to tell if the tranny goes likes others have. Read resignation here.

Car's OK. I kind of liked it and gave it a nickname. I like the nickname now better than I like the car so I have removed and reserved the name for my next automotive love.

There appears to be no end to the possibilities of improvement to the engine, drive train, running gear, exterior and interior from what I read. Looks like a real poor job by Ford. Bet the cops driving one now are griping too.

tyrannical tranny
By lisa

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had this vehicle less than 2 years and with only 62k miles it needs a new transmission. Of course the warranty is expired. All of the mechanics are aware of this problem with the 2004 tranny - and apparently so is Ford Motor Company!

Roomy interior.

Fix the TRANSMISSIONS!

2004 Ford Explorer XLT
By onthego

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is as good looking as any other out there. The quality is good, better than Mountaineer, but the ride is not as good as it could be (maybe because of the ATV tires that it came with). The gas usage is less than the window sticker using 89 octane. Overall it is not a bad vehicle and I am not sorry I purchased it. Ford has a problem with rear view outside mirrors shaking when driving down highway, hard to see behind vehicle, especially on windy day.

Sits up high and handles very nice. The outside design is very good.

Fix rear view mirrors so they don't shake when driving down highway on windy day. Also fix tilt on steering wheel, so it comes down like a American car (just steering wheel tilts, not whole steering column). Also get gas mileage to 30 miles per gallon.

We have had no problems
By L

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like the design and look of this truck. I only wish that we leased this vehicle instead of buying it, because I now want to upgrade to the 2006 Explorer. Before buying our Explorer we had a TrailBlazer, and I have to say that this truck handles much better on the highway.

Body style and design. Handling.

Gas mileage.

Need more thought into interior design
By Big Bubba

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The SUV itself is ok but needs more interior design like A/C ducts under dash and the gear shift handle is in the way to supply air to the driver. The SUV has running boards that serve no purpose.

Really none.

Work on the A/C system and more interior room seats are very uncomfortable for long trips.