Used 2004 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Explorer; poor choice; get a pilot or something
By tabbies

2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used in 09 w/ 80k+ miles. Now 105k. Poor fuel economy; I avg. 15 city, 16-17 highwy(67-77mph) UGLY interior. It's fine @ first but look at it for a while and you be sickened. Speaking of sickening; the tire noise @ high speeds is very. My kid had a stomach bug, and one or the other; tire noise or ugly interior finally made him give. I was about to follow suit. Heat failed, leaving us w/ 1 georgia winter and no heat. Drive/powertrain= reliable, luxurys(audio is funky too)=not. It WILL get u from place-to-place, but w/ @ a high price(not $). Don't recommend. (shifts are jerky but u get used to it, easy to maneuver, no cargo room w/ seats up, stick with 1.5-3k rpm for best perfor/effici

Favorite Features

Easy to maneuver, outside is easy to look @, never any drive/powertrain problems, always starts,

Suggested Improvements

Everything I ask, is now on the 2012 model. more fuel economy, more cargo room, more room, smaller engine, 6speed trans, no AWD, which after is pointless, all that jazz.

NOT Getting My Money's Worth Anymore
By wnyfordguy

2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Since my 1st review 1 yr and 8 mos ago, it has cost over $4500 to maintain this SUV. Don't get me wrong - it's still very functional & great to drive. It's never left me stranded. But only 15k miles more (67k) of soft driving turned it into a money pit. Best ($$$) Goodyear Fortera TripleTred tires only lasted 29k, lots of brake work, rear bearings (fronts went at 50k), and last & certainly not least, just got a rebuilt tranny. I've owned 12 Fords since 1984, not one a lemon, but this comes the closest. Don't buy one of the '02-'06 models unless you have $$$ to spend on repairs.

Favorite Features

Still the same: very smooth ride, roomy 3rd-row seat, awesome CD/cassette sound system, super-bright high-beams, comfortable/roomy interior, temp/compass display.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should be ashamed of themselves for building such a faulty transmission, and then not recalling it. I'm sure they didn't because it would cost them millions. I feel bad for those who bought one of these because of the high marks earlier Explorers got (like my '97), and now can't afford to fix it. Costly parts like brakes & bearings fail way too early in the product life cycle - they need to be more heavy duty for those owners in the NE USA.

Ford vehicle
By Kathy

2004 Ford Explorer Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle w/40,000 mil. on it. Had to return to dealer within 1 month with transmission problems. The transmission has had problems ever since. All the dash lights keep coming on from abs, airbag, 4wd to engine light. Rear end problems as well as bearings. I loved my first explorer which was a 95 and I never replaced a thing, drove it to 200,000 mil and it still ran. This vehicle is a lemon, I hate it. Can't wait to replace it. Side mirrors don't work, back up alarm doesn't work, tranny slips, noisy and has been to the garage 2 times for quitting and not re-starting. I know many people with the same problems as mine. I feel the ford quality has really slipped!

Favorite Features

I like the fact that it moves well in the snow. Never had a problem getting stuck. Tows small trailer well.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, rear end, bearing. Many other problems that really need addressing.

Great Vehicle to own
By R. Ferguson

2004 Ford Explorer Limited AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Fun to drive on road. handles like a sport car, and would not change a thing on it.

Favorite Features

The AWD is more than great.

Suggested Improvements

air intake sits right behind the head light. don`t get enough air like it should.

Takes a lickin' - BUT doesn't keep tickin'
By Artanis68

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car new and noticed around 80,000 miles things started to go wrong shortly thereafter. 2003 & 2004's are notorious for the ball joints going bad fast. We spent $700 on the front end and then around 109K the back differential going bad. Many Ford forums will tell you that after 80K miles your going to have a lot of expenses as things will begin to go bad in these cars FAST. I personally experienced this as ours started to go downhill very quickly. Traded it in for a Toyota 4Runner - a car that will go well past 100K miles and keep on tickin'.

Favorite Features

Interior features on this car are nice and we had a DVD player, leather seats and power everything. The leather sadly began to breakdown and look really worn and faded after about 50K miles. Plenty of power outlets for your electrical devices.

Suggested Improvements

Quality, Quality, Quality. I have heard in recent years Ford has made great strides in this area, but as for me I am still leery of any American Made car. I have owned Toyota's, Nissan's and never experienced the disappointment I have with American made vehicles.