2004 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
2004 Ford Explorer
By 2004 Ford Explorer on 12/14/09 13:28 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I can not believe that my explorer would be more reliable than my 2003 Toyota corolla. i bought this car from a friend and it had 360,000 miles. i got a tug for it only for 1 year because i thought it wouldn't last more than 1 year. The car still runs perfect and the handling in this car is amazing for an SUV. to keep this car perfect like this all you need is to do maintenance on time. i cant believe it didn't break down on me for the way i push this car. i just took it from Fairfax Virginia to Jacksonville North carolina 6 hours drive with 360k miles and its still FINE!! you see alot of Honda and Toyota in US but guess what do you see the most in Europe ? FORD!!!

2000 better than 2004
By Nighthawk779 on 11/15/09 21:33 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer Limited AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Explorer and my last. My 2000 has been the best of the 3 2000 03 &04, All 3 had the transmission rebuild, but only the 2000 has had nothing else repaired. Everything works as well as new over 205,000 miles on it now. The engines have never been a problem until now. We now have electical and rear end noise now. The 2000 pulled trailers boats and what you could get on the bumper with no effort. I wish they would bring back sun visor recorder. Also the 2nd sun visor. But I am looking at Highlanders now. 3600 for a new transmission had me looking for a different manufacturer. P.S. we did change trasmission fuild every fluid at 30,000 at the dealer no less.

2004 xlt two wheel drive 4.0 v-6
By BFR on 10/28/09 08:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

bought used with 12000 miles on it in 2005. I now have 92000 10/28/09. I had one front wheel bearing go out. changed the hub assembley myself was not to hard but cost was $200.00.New tires at 86000 miles, and never rotated the tires once, and they wore even. Gas milage 15/16 city 21/22 highway.I run mobil 1 oil and change every 6000 miles.My wife drives it 80% of the time , and loves it. I coach baseball and have plenty of room to haul everything.No complaints

What a waste!
By Jennifer on 10/21/09 17:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ok so I bought my explorer NEW Paid way to much and now 5 years later I am still paying for it both payments and over whelming repairs! I have gone thru 3 rear ends, 2 water pumps, 4 sets of tires because of there state of the art anti-slip crap eats tires right of the thing. Rear windsheild wiper caught on fire yes smoke and flames because it over heated called Ford they don't care! Needs another rear end, and now a cam! I have nothing nice to say about Ford anymore! My whole family owned Ford vehicals and the last one is out the door, whats even funnier is my father the Ford man just bought an 86 Dodge pickup runs better then any of the Fords he has ever owned! Explorer 108,000 miles on it

CRAP
By Mad on 10/19/09 12:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Week #1 I had to return vehicle to dealer because the tranny slipped. Over the course of 4 years (till the warranty expired) it was back 8 times due to tranny probs. It was not until I got the States Attorney's office involved did Ford repair it. Since then I've had to have a rear differential/axle seal replaced, the left rear wheel bearing is shot and now I cannot drive it because the harmonic balancer imploded! Ford say that they cannot sell a replacement because there is a National shortage....approx 5,000 suv's need the part and non are avail (manufacter went belly up). I found one in a junk yard! Oh yea, the cruise control was a recalled and replaced. Still doesn't operate.

Ford Explorer Trouble?
By JoeLyn on 09/18/09 12:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the second Ford Explorer that we have owned. I'm not sure that there will be a third. Our 2004 explorer has had the timing chains replaced, the paint is coming off in sheets from the top, the heater would not work until we had work completed on it, now we just replaced the valve lifters. What's next???? We are heart sick. Does Ford not back their vehicles any better than that. My husband and I planned to wait until later to buy a new vehicle. It probably will not be a Ford. Too bad, I have always like the style of the Explorer.

One year in, and still enjoying it.
By JR on 08/22/09 09:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1995 Explorer when I was in high school and it had been awhile since I'd had an SUV so when we had the great gas crisis of 2008 I thought I could get into another one cheaply. Since I was buying used, I didn't care what the resale value was and this Explorer was a deal I couldn't pass up. It's been trouble free and very handy.

Horrible, Horrible, Horrible...
By Lindsay on 08/06/09 18:54 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Save yourself money and do not buy this. I have spent $9K in trying to keep my truck running. This is my second explorer. The first I shelled out $4K on a new engine. This one, I spent $9K rewiring it, replacing the transmission, etc. I am devastated but will never, ever buy a ford again.

Lemon
By Beth on 08/02/09 11:38 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle as a work vehicle. It had minor problems until I hit 35,000 miles. It took Ford 3 tries to get a working rear end which lasted only another 30,000 miles. A number of idiot lights went bad, and now paint is peeling off the roof and the rear end is again making noise. This was my first and last Big 3 auto purchase.

Paint flys off in sheets off of roof
By haasis3 on 07/22/09 14:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our experience with Ford and this Ford Explorer has made us decide not to purchase any more Ford vehicles. This vehicle has had problems with warning lights showing up when there is no problem (started happening the very first month!), after 4 years the paint on the roof peeled off in sheets down to the bare metal and then rusted. Ford would have nothing to do with it (talked to Customer Service, the Ford body shop and dealership in SC). They wanted just under $1000 to repaint it even though it is obviously a flaw in the manufacturing and I have seen other reports on the internet. Also, now after 4.5 years, the gear shift indicator showing if you are in Park, Reverse, Drive doesn't work.