2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Great Vehicle to own
By R. Ferguson on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Fun to drive on road. handles like a sport car, and would not change a thing on it.

Takes a lickin' - BUT doesn't keep tickin'
By Artanis68 on 10/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car new and noticed around 80,000 miles things started to go wrong shortly thereafter. 2003 & 2004's are notorious for the ball joints going bad fast. We spent $700 on the front end and then around 109K the back differential going bad. Many Ford forums will tell you that after 80K miles your going to have a lot of expenses as things will begin to go bad in these cars FAST. I personally experienced this as ours started to go downhill very quickly. Traded it in for a Toyota 4Runner - a car that will go well past 100K miles and keep on tickin'.

Good overall SUV
By Gearz on 09/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Explorer for about half a year now and am impressed. It has 122,000 miles on it, the engine doesn't leak, no wear on seats/plastic pieces, and still goes straight down the road. Like with any vehicle if it is taken care of from new, you will not have many problems. Mine is like new after 122,000 miles!

Transmissions & Rear Differentials
By Rusty on 08/18/10 12:43 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2004 Explorer Limited V8 new and have had it back at the dealer more often for repairs than any vehicle I have ever owned. It needed a new rear differential at 32,000 miles, a new transmission at 58,000 miles, and now another new rear differential at 68,000 miles. 68k miles in 7 years isn't exactly hard driving and I haven't ever towed anything. Ford covered the first rear rebuild but the other repair payments came from my ever shrinking wallet. The dealer's service guys are like "oh, yea, those things break all the time". Well, they shouldn't. When will Ford honor its commitment to its customers - "At Ford Quality is Job 1" was their slogan, wasn't it?

Body build needs quality control
By commentator on 07/07/10 14:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The upper part of the tailgate cracked by itself. It cost $350 to get it replaced. The service guy said this happened quite often. Hope Ford will improve body build quality. Please don't change the exterior look. Everybody loves the outside look, but each complains about the gas mileage and minor body problems. I'd like to buy a new Explorer but am waiting for good news about the body build quality and better gas mileage. Is Ford considering a hybrid version?

used better
By rey on 03/01/10 14:54 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

By now some of the interior plasic parts are giving out like sun visors or driver seat parts, important stuff. Drive train noises like either bearings or rear end oil. After all it does have 165,000 miles and these things are expected, however ive had Nissan and Toyota whan I was thinner and small vehicles don't work but they lasted forever, its just good for BASIC transportation. Rough ride and cheap.

Good at first.....
By SK on 02/28/10 23:15 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer brand new. ANd in the beginning, I loved it. Had problems with the transmission acting out, but everytime I took in to dealership, they could never find anything wrong. Drivers seat belt gets stuck once in awhile...have to keep ejecting over and over till it finally frees. The tires wear out very quickly. The brakes wear out quickly...had to have done more times than should have. And of course the heater....the blower wnet out, the wiring melted...Ford did not care at all, said it is not a safety issue. Well to me it was, because in the winter months and working nights..having no heat to defrost the windshield to see out of was a hazard. That cost me $500. to have fixed.

How long should plastic last?
By rks on 02/24/10 12:50 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

We have had overall good luck with our Explorer. The major problem is that many plastic parts have failed which require costly fixes. Both plastic anchors on the right and left sun visors broke which resulted in the complete replacement of the visors. The plastic lift ring on the floor cover broke which required a whole new cover. The most annoying piece of plastic that has broken twice ($350) has been the plastic panel just below the rear window. I have noted that many Explorers are driving with this piece broken. Ford has a "policy" not to replace them which leads me to believe that Ford is not living up to its reputation as customer friendly.

Transmission Problems
By Matt on 01/26/10 20:19 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car with 40,000 miles on it and with service records. 6 months later the Transmission was shot and I spent $2,300 having that rebuilt. 18 months after that the Transmission is starting to slip and the service engine light is on. All I want to do is trade in this hunk of junk for something that isn't going to make me worried that I am going to have to drop $2,000 every year or so on repairs.

2004 ford explorer
By ford guy on 01/11/10 20:32 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have a 2004 Ford explorer I bouth it in 2005 with only 25,000 miles five years later this car has been great to me so far I did have a ac/motor problem but it was covered under the warranty. I have done every maintenance that is recommended to this car and I do believe that it will last a lot longer. My parents have a 2005 explorer with almost 200,000 miles on it and only had problem with window motor. I would grade this car a A-.