Used 2004 Ford Explorer XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Look elsewhere
By spence

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Clunks going into reverse, rear bangs when making sharp corners, front end shakes even with brand new premium tires, rotors warped making brakes pulsate, front end squeaks when going over bumps, rear gate low quality....rattles continually, engine feels disconnected from gas pedal, sliding moonroof cover falls off track, CD's get jammed in player every time, factory speakers are junk. I had a '96 Explorer for ten years. It was the best vehicle I ever owned. So I figured I'd get another after the other was trouble- free for all those years. What a mistake. Stay clear of these vehicles.

Keyless entry. I loved the compass and thermometer in the upper console on the old Explorer. Whey did they have to change that? Better engine power than the '96.

Poor quality rear gate, flimsy and light. Prone to breakage. This vehicle was a step down from my '96 model.

I love my Explorer!
By Christina

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

For an SUV the mileage is pretty good. Had a recall issue about six months in, but they fixed it without a problem and have had no problems since. I put a lot of miles on my car and it has held up well with nothing but general maintenance. I would recommend an Explorer to anyone.

Third row seat! It is so convenient and makes the car very versatile!

I would like to be able to close the moonroof with one push of the button instead of having to hold the button until it is closed.

Poorly Designed AC
By LA

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I must start by saying I live in South Louisiana. Auto AC is critical for comfort. AC is a must about 340 days out of the year down here. Bought it used w/ 16K miles have about 22K. Purchased in the fall so didn't have the sweltering heat to truely test the AC when purchased. Noticed this summer the AC just wasn't cooling the cab off. Feels cold at the vent. Brought to dealer who said the same thing. Unfortunately, nothing can be done since nothing found (all levels in check). I'll be looking for a trade soon. Overall comfortable. Leather interior is nice. Paneling and rest of interior is just OK. Rides very well for SUV

Exterior appearance, leather interior

Better designed AC

Timing chains broke
By Lee

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this SUV for just over 3 years, and in that time it's been in the shop for electrical panel shutdown (3 times!), and is now in for major engine repair - two timing chains busted, only 65000 miles. Of course the warranty is up, and will cost over $3K to fix! When it's back from the shop (four weeks now) I am trading it in for a Toyota, before the tranny goes too!

Roominess, takes U-turns awesome, fits our lifestyle

Quality of parts, cooperation from manufacturer to make good on major repairs that shouldnt be needed this early in the game, even if not under warranty.

My 2004 Explorer
By 2004 Ford Explorer

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Explorer for 3 years. It has 29,000 miles. It's been a good vehicle and I purchased it because of the great success I had with my '99 Explorer. I've been to the dealer for 3 problems. First was the rear differential. Second was rust on the the front edge of the hood. Hood replaced and repainted. Third was the front wheel bearings. All repairs fell under warranty except for bearings. Starting to have some concerns with transmission. Some lag with shifting and occassional noise being produced. Found many tranny complaints on the web. Good vehicle.

3rd row seat. Excellent high beams and fog lights. 2nd and 3rd row A/C. Good turning radius. Exterior design is favorite of all explorers. Comfortable seats. Stereo sounds good. Nice ride.

Location of power seat controls are hard to get to. Radio controls could be improved. Reclining 2nd row seats would have been nice. Cargo area isn't flat when 3rd row is down. Cargo cover should be standard for all models. Improved visor mirror. Our visor covers don't stay up. Very annoying.