2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Turkey Here
By Turkey Here on 04/06/07 16:32 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

At 45,500 miles the front wheel bearings needed to be replaced so I did $ 780. The dealer took the occasion then also to try to take my head off with an unneeded rear end replacement for a gargantuan sum. We didn't even get to talk about the repair needed to the back of the driver's front seat. I should have expected the problems, I guess, because there certainly is enough press about this car. But this was my 6th new Ford and the others were bulletproof. So I guess it was to be expected. No extended warranty and under water for a serious amount, so I guess I'll have this one for a bunch and have more tales to tell if the tranny goes likes others have. Read resignation here.

tyrannical tranny
By lisa on 11/12/06 04:53 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Had this vehicle less than 2 years and with only 62k miles it needs a new transmission. Of course the warranty is expired. All of the mechanics are aware of this problem with the 2004 tranny - and apparently so is Ford Motor Company!

2004 Ford Explorer XLT
By onthego on 06/07/06 08:33 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is as good looking as any other out there. The quality is good, better than Mountaineer, but the ride is not as good as it could be (maybe because of the ATV tires that it came with). The gas usage is less than the window sticker using 89 octane. Overall it is not a bad vehicle and I am not sorry I purchased it. Ford has a problem with rear view outside mirrors shaking when driving down highway, hard to see behind vehicle, especially on windy day.

We have had no problems
By L on 05/03/06 22:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like the design and look of this truck. I only wish that we leased this vehicle instead of buying it, because I now want to upgrade to the 2006 Explorer. Before buying our Explorer we had a TrailBlazer, and I have to say that this truck handles much better on the highway.

Need more thought into interior design
By Big Bubba on 06/22/05 14:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The SUV itself is ok but needs more interior design like A/C ducts under dash and the gear shift handle is in the way to supply air to the driver. The SUV has running boards that serve no purpose.

POOR CRAFTSMANSHIP
By STEVE on 12/28/04 10:45 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

HORRIBLE ROAD NOISE. GETTING LESS THAN 10 MILES PER GALLON FUEL ECONOMY. OVERALL A VERY POOR VEHICLE TO OWN. I BELIEVE THAT THEY ARE USING THE NEW BODY STYLE TO GET PEOPLE TO BELIEVE THAT THE VEHICLE IS FIXED, BUT IN ALL ACTUALITY THE VEHICLE IS MORE POORLY MADE NOW THAN IT WAS BACK WITH THE 2000 BODY STYLE.

Things could be better
By Texas on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my vehicle just over 1 year and I have had it in to the dealership 3 times due to the air- conditioning. It was making a terrible sound after I drove it a short distance, stopped, and then re- started the vehicle. Yet the dealership could not find anything wrong. Finally, after several months, the "High-pressure Valve" blew and caused a terrible noise/rumbling of the entire vehicle. Once that was repaired, under warranty, the vehicle drove fine and the air conditioner worked well. I also notice a Humming while I am accellerating. It can be quite irritating on long trips when you are in a rear seat.

Practical SUV
By tatemark on 08/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is our second Explorer and we have been pleased with both. The improvements in the design, comfort and ride of the 2004 model are nothing short of amazing when compared with my trusty old workhorse '98. If you are looking for a reasonably priced mid- size SUV, look no further. Am looking forward to the development of the hybrid version--have enjoyed driving the Prius hybrid as a rental car and would love to have that kind of fuel economy in an SUV. As it stands now, we use the Explorer for carpool and hauling around town because of the mpgs. Other than that issue (which I admit is a big one) we love the car.

Disappointed...
By aeodie on 06/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I decided to buy the explorer instead of a grand cherokee or 4 runner because I liked the styling and it seemed to be the perfect size for my family...not too big, but bigger than most mid-sized suvs. I bought a new vehicle because we were about to have a new baby and I wanted something reliable...that has not been the case. I have had the rear- end replaced because it was making a loud noise. I have had the engine light come on due to a spark plug problem. Two tires were replaced due to "abnormal wear," and the interior has had some problems. I have been disappointed with this vehicle, even though the service from Ford has been good.

2nd explorer
By slong on 06/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I put 189000 miles on my 96 explorer my daughter is still driving it.The new one has more interior comfort and more bells and whistles