Used 2004 Ford Explorer XLT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Never again
By vr2usone

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Ford and I will never again purchase another. My problems are small but trying to find parts is a pain and there's not an easy fix. The visors, the seat, the crack in the back are all common complaints for this make and model and Ford refuses to acknowledge these defects or offer an expensive fix. Each part I need starts out at $100 and goes up. If I can ever find some cheap replacement parts I'm going to fix them and trade this vehicle in for a Chevy.

Ford Tough
By jerguyntx

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Aside from the throttle body being replaced the day after I bought my vehicle (Bought Used @ 31,000 miles) has been a great vehicle. Replaced brakes and tires around 67,000 miles now reaching 100,000 miles and the only thing that has happened is the replacement of the Temperature module (Leaking Radiator fluid). Doing a lot of city driving so I'm maxing about 14MPG, but get 21 - 21.5 on long trips. (Austin to Dallas) I can't fault my explorer in anyway. Paid it off in 2011 two full years early. Kudos to me. :-)

gorage door opener compartment, AutoMagic lights (think the sensor should be more sensitive), Digital Compass, and my added CarPuter for GPS, Movies and Music.

2004 xlt two wheel drive 4.0 v-6
By BFR

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

bought used with 12000 miles on it in 2005. I now have 92000 10/28/09. I had one front wheel bearing go out. changed the hub assembley myself was not to hard but cost was $200.00.New tires at 86000 miles, and never rotated the tires once, and they wore even. Gas milage 15/16 city 21/22 highway.I run mobil 1 oil and change every 6000 miles.My wife drives it 80% of the time , and loves it. I coach baseball and have plenty of room to haul everything.No complaints

dvd for the kids on trips.

maybe a little more room side to side.

CRAP
By Mad

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Week #1 I had to return vehicle to dealer because the tranny slipped. Over the course of 4 years (till the warranty expired) it was back 8 times due to tranny probs. It was not until I got the States Attorney's office involved did Ford repair it. Since then I've had to have a rear differential/axle seal replaced, the left rear wheel bearing is shot and now I cannot drive it because the harmonic balancer imploded! Ford say that they cannot sell a replacement because there is a National shortage....approx 5,000 suv's need the part and non are avail (manufacter went belly up). I found one in a junk yard! Oh yea, the cruise control was a recalled and replaced. Still doesn't operate.

Interior and ride with 17" wheels.

Ford should recall the trannys, the differential (replace the 2 piece seals with the single piece seal) and recall the harmonic balancers (before the main bearings and seals explode!

interior is great, mechanically its junk
By danny

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

needed a SUV for the family loved it for the 1st 3 years,then the transmission, the rear lift gate, the CD player, the brakes, the back seat all went to hell. Ford wont recall and repairs are to expensive. Have always been a Ford guy, no more, going with toyota or Nissan, maybe a GMC. Would not recommend this vehicle to anyone, the transmission is not reliable at all. Although the interior is comfortable and easy to use, mechanically its not worth it

interior. seating is comfortable

Transmission, CD player, rear seat latches, rear lift gate, frnt brakes