2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Monochrome Black Rocketship Eddie Bauer
By Commander on 08/11/07 17:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great Truck, great V-8 economy. It's fun to drive, sounds great roaring up to speed, and hits 60 in just about 8 seconds. Factory tires began to dry-rot after 3 years and 35k miles, replaced with Michelins, averaging 18.5 mpg. I wish RSC was available prior to the '05 model. I wish we had rear a/c in the AZ summers. I love the factory sound system in the Eddie Bauer. I'm glad I didn't pop for the 4x4. Friend with an '05 4.0 4x4 is only averaging 15 mpg.

An Okay SUV
By Al on 07/19/07 16:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Don't get me wrong I love my Explorer but I have had problems with the transmission when putting it into reverse - the engine produces a big bang noise. Ford claims that they can't replicate the problem although other Explorer owners have told me they deal with the same problem. Another problem that I face is when I fill up the car's tank, the fuel indicator dosen't respond and sometimes looks like a clock moving all over the place ^_^ im trading it in.

Stay Away at all costs
By Stephanie on 05/31/07 05:39 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

From day one I had problems with the radio. Now at 64,800 miles they think it blew a rod and needs a new engine! I am a 37 year old mother of 3 that drives to and from school, practices, etc. I still owe $9K on the truck and will need to put in an additional $6500 to get it running again. Oh, and Ford will warranty its new engine for 75K but not the one with the car originally --stay away. Obviously there is a defect with this engine. I am calling Ford to see what they will do. Unbelievable! I will never, never, never buy a Ford again. And this was my third one in 10 years!

Not a bad truck
By SN190498 on 05/29/07 14:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The ride quality is surprisingly good for a truck chassis. Ours has not had any technical issues except for the incorrect transmission oil debacle. The rear axle does have a binding problem (2WD) which hopefully will be resolved with changing the axle fluid. Turning left or right from a standstill results into a rattling vibration. Only regret is not having the canopy airbag system. It is difficult to comprehend that Ford toutes this safety system and then builds so many cars without it. Overall this was not a bad purchase in early 2004 since there was less competition. If we would buy another SUV today we would get a Hyundai Santa Fe or similar.

Ford Explorer
By Victorianlady on 02/07/06 21:53 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

A practical but totally fun car to drive.

I Love my Ford!
By Sandra on 10/13/05 14:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer early this year. I had one problem with it and that was that the solenoid needed replacement which was covered by my warranty. I also had a problem with the rear windows where the electric motor broke and needed replaced. Other than that, I am very happy with my Ford. I would definitely buy another one in the future. My husband also has a Ford (F150) and it runs great. Very minimal complaints!

So Far, So Good
By 1st Time Ford Buyer on 09/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a Chevy TrailBlazer for 2-1/2 years and although it was a great truck, I'm really enjoying my new Eddie Bauer. The ride is much smoother; the stereo is much better; and the features are fun!

First time Explorer Owner
By CTH123 on 08/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this car for eight months now and have no complaints. The V-6 engine does surprisingly well.

What an improvement
By kdeanjack on 07/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I also have a 1997 Explorer and the new 2004 is greatly refined jexcept for the seats. The 97 model has power seats that are longer and have power lumbar. I feel as if I backed up with seat comfort but it has a better ride and shifts smoothly and has as good acceleration as my son's GMC Envoy that has 60 more horses than my 210 HP V6.

GREAT SUV
By MIKEBIGEZ on 03/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned 3 Ford Explorers over the pass 13 yrs. I just purchase my third one and kept my 10 yr old 2nd one as a all around work truck. The new one is by far the best.I remodel rental properties on a part-time basis that I purchase which are in bad shape so my Explorer is used frequently to haul all kind of stuff. But I am a CPA on a full time basis and need a nice looking car to call on clients too. The Explorer meet both of those needs and a big selling point for me was that it holds a 4'x8'sheet of plywood which is a must for me and it is the only one of its size that does that.