Used 2004 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer SUV Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Monochrome Black Rocketship Eddie Bauer
By Commander

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great Truck, great V-8 economy. It's fun to drive, sounds great roaring up to speed, and hits 60 in just about 8 seconds. Factory tires began to dry-rot after 3 years and 35k miles, replaced with Michelins, averaging 18.5 mpg. I wish RSC was available prior to the '05 model. I wish we had rear a/c in the AZ summers. I love the factory sound system in the Eddie Bauer. I'm glad I didn't pop for the 4x4. Friend with an '05 4.0 4x4 is only averaging 15 mpg.

Engine, low liftover height of the rear hatch when only the window is raised, easy exit seat, steering wheel controls for climate and radio, 3rd seat that I can actually get into and sit in without complaint at 6'0 250lbs.

Sound coming from rear of truck at constant highway speed, Head restraints prior to '06, No traction control prior to '05, flimsy quality of the rear glass hatch that I love, angled load floor when 3rd row folded "flat" forces the dog to roll all the way to the rear when moving pre '06

An Okay SUV
By Al

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Don't get me wrong I love my Explorer but I have had problems with the transmission when putting it into reverse - the engine produces a big bang noise. Ford claims that they can't replicate the problem although other Explorer owners have told me they deal with the same problem. Another problem that I face is when I fill up the car's tank, the fuel indicator dosen't respond and sometimes looks like a clock moving all over the place ^_^ im trading it in.

Two tone leather seats, 6 cd changer, heated seats.

Gas mileage. The leather needs much improvement, no more cheap plastics!! The radio is plastic.

Stay Away at all costs
By Stephanie

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

From day one I had problems with the radio. Now at 64,800 miles they think it blew a rod and needs a new engine! I am a 37 year old mother of 3 that drives to and from school, practices, etc. I still owe $9K on the truck and will need to put in an additional $6500 to get it running again. Oh, and Ford will warranty its new engine for 75K but not the one with the car originally --stay away. Obviously there is a defect with this engine. I am calling Ford to see what they will do. Unbelievable! I will never, never, never buy a Ford again. And this was my third one in 10 years!

Make an engine that can last longer than 64K miles!

Not a bad truck
By SN190498

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The ride quality is surprisingly good for a truck chassis. Ours has not had any technical issues except for the incorrect transmission oil debacle. The rear axle does have a binding problem (2WD) which hopefully will be resolved with changing the axle fluid. Turning left or right from a standstill results into a rattling vibration. Only regret is not having the canopy airbag system. It is difficult to comprehend that Ford toutes this safety system and then builds so many cars without it. Overall this was not a bad purchase in early 2004 since there was less competition. If we would buy another SUV today we would get a Hyundai Santa Fe or similar.

Interior space. Hitch. Comfort of seats. Engine torque.

Improve sound insulation for engine/road noise. Relocate seat heater switch to dashboard. Improve quality of interior materials: plastic scratches easily, leather is of low quality and quickly wrinkles. Needs a charcoal cabin filter. Make fuel filter easier to change.

Ford Explorer
By Victorianlady

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

A practical but totally fun car to drive.

Love the third seat and reverse warning!