2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Never again
By vr2usone on 04/02/12 13:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Ford and I will never again purchase another. My problems are small but trying to find parts is a pain and there's not an easy fix. The visors, the seat, the crack in the back are all common complaints for this make and model and Ford refuses to acknowledge these defects or offer an expensive fix. Each part I need starts out at $100 and goes up. If I can ever find some cheap replacement parts I'm going to fix them and trade this vehicle in for a Chevy.

Ford Tough
By jerguyntx on 01/04/12 13:30 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Aside from the throttle body being replaced the day after I bought my vehicle (Bought Used @ 31,000 miles) has been a great vehicle. Replaced brakes and tires around 67,000 miles now reaching 100,000 miles and the only thing that has happened is the replacement of the Temperature module (Leaking Radiator fluid). Doing a lot of city driving so I'm maxing about 14MPG, but get 21 - 21.5 on long trips. (Austin to Dallas) I can't fault my explorer in anyway. Paid it off in 2011 two full years early. Kudos to me. :-)

2004 xlt two wheel drive 4.0 v-6
By BFR on 10/28/09 08:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

bought used with 12000 miles on it in 2005. I now have 92000 10/28/09. I had one front wheel bearing go out. changed the hub assembley myself was not to hard but cost was $200.00.New tires at 86000 miles, and never rotated the tires once, and they wore even. Gas milage 15/16 city 21/22 highway.I run mobil 1 oil and change every 6000 miles.My wife drives it 80% of the time , and loves it. I coach baseball and have plenty of room to haul everything.No complaints

CRAP
By Mad on 10/19/09 12:59 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Week #1 I had to return vehicle to dealer because the tranny slipped. Over the course of 4 years (till the warranty expired) it was back 8 times due to tranny probs. It was not until I got the States Attorney's office involved did Ford repair it. Since then I've had to have a rear differential/axle seal replaced, the left rear wheel bearing is shot and now I cannot drive it because the harmonic balancer imploded! Ford say that they cannot sell a replacement because there is a National shortage....approx 5,000 suv's need the part and non are avail (manufacter went belly up). I found one in a junk yard! Oh yea, the cruise control was a recalled and replaced. Still doesn't operate.

interior is great, mechanically its junk
By danny on 07/17/09 21:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

needed a SUV for the family loved it for the 1st 3 years,then the transmission, the rear lift gate, the CD player, the brakes, the back seat all went to hell. Ford wont recall and repairs are to expensive. Have always been a Ford guy, no more, going with toyota or Nissan, maybe a GMC. Would not recommend this vehicle to anyone, the transmission is not reliable at all. Although the interior is comfortable and easy to use, mechanically its not worth it

Look elsewhere
By spence on 03/26/08 19:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Clunks going into reverse, rear bangs when making sharp corners, front end shakes even with brand new premium tires, rotors warped making brakes pulsate, front end squeaks when going over bumps, rear gate low quality....rattles continually, engine feels disconnected from gas pedal, sliding moonroof cover falls off track, CD's get jammed in player every time, factory speakers are junk. I had a '96 Explorer for ten years. It was the best vehicle I ever owned. So I figured I'd get another after the other was trouble- free for all those years. What a mistake. Stay clear of these vehicles.

I love my Explorer!
By Christina on 08/13/07 11:54 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

For an SUV the mileage is pretty good. Had a recall issue about six months in, but they fixed it without a problem and have had no problems since. I put a lot of miles on my car and it has held up well with nothing but general maintenance. I would recommend an Explorer to anyone.

Poorly Designed AC
By LA on 07/02/07 13:30 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I must start by saying I live in South Louisiana. Auto AC is critical for comfort. AC is a must about 340 days out of the year down here. Bought it used w/ 16K miles have about 22K. Purchased in the fall so didn't have the sweltering heat to truely test the AC when purchased. Noticed this summer the AC just wasn't cooling the cab off. Feels cold at the vent. Brought to dealer who said the same thing. Unfortunately, nothing can be done since nothing found (all levels in check). I'll be looking for a trade soon. Overall comfortable. Leather interior is nice. Paneling and rest of interior is just OK. Rides very well for SUV

Timing chains broke
By Lee on 05/30/07 06:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this SUV for just over 3 years, and in that time it's been in the shop for electrical panel shutdown (3 times!), and is now in for major engine repair - two timing chains busted, only 65000 miles. Of course the warranty is up, and will cost over $3K to fix! When it's back from the shop (four weeks now) I am trading it in for a Toyota, before the tranny goes too!

My 2004 Explorer
By 2004 Ford Explorer on 04/20/07 03:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Explorer for 3 years. It has 29,000 miles. It's been a good vehicle and I purchased it because of the great success I had with my '99 Explorer. I've been to the dealer for 3 problems. First was the rear differential. Second was rust on the the front edge of the hood. Hood replaced and repainted. Third was the front wheel bearings. All repairs fell under warranty except for bearings. Starting to have some concerns with transmission. Some lag with shifting and occassional noise being produced. Found many tranny complaints on the web. Good vehicle.