2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Body build needs quality control
By commentator on 07/07/10 14:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The upper part of the tailgate cracked by itself. It cost $350 to get it replaced. The service guy said this happened quite often. Hope Ford will improve body build quality. Please don't change the exterior look. Everybody loves the outside look, but each complains about the gas mileage and minor body problems. I'd like to buy a new Explorer but am waiting for good news about the body build quality and better gas mileage. Is Ford considering a hybrid version?

Happy owner
By hbjb13 on 09/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife had a stroke in April 2003. Her right arm is paralyzed and she has only limited use of her right leg. It is much easier to get her in and out of the Explorer than a car. It is also easier to get the wheel chair in an out of the back. We had to find a vehicle she was comfortable riding in and this was her first choice. We have been completely satisfied with the ride, performance and over all appearance.

First American car in 25 years
By artego on 05/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Swore I would never buy an american car again, never say never.....Love this Ford!

CAR SALESMAN'S PICK
By AUTO SALES PRO on 04/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Selling cars and trucks for a living for the past ten years has made me very selective about what I own. However, my wife chose the 2004 Explorer XLS for our next new ride. I am seriously impressed with this vehicle! I dont even sell Fords!

Approaching 7,000 miles
By JPD on 03/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I drive commute over 100 miles a day and the Explorer offeres a stable, comfortable ride in heavy traffic. This is my second Explorer and I hope I can drive this one for 8 years as well.

Great SUV by Ford
By Sherman on 01/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fords Exployer XLS is a great buy. Has the looks of the higher cost Exployer at a affordable price.I get good gas milage as I don't have to get to 60 mph in a second. Love the inside seating and the ease to put down rear seats for more carring room. Handles great on the road, and you feel safe driving it.Best Ford I have had in a long time.