2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
POS
By mikes201487 on 05/23/14 23:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car was lousy!!! Horrible experience, went thru so much with this. Well at 124,000 exactly the engine blew, so it was totled. the exale blew as well at 117,000 so this was a big problem this suv. made such loud noises no idea why, fuel was horrible...only thing it was comfortable. I have a ford mustang at 131,000 which is a 2002 with absoutly no problems whats so ever. I bought this suv at 57,000 and lasted till 124,000. NEVER AGAIN!

Takes a lickin' - BUT doesn't keep tickin'
By Artanis68 on 10/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car new and noticed around 80,000 miles things started to go wrong shortly thereafter. 2003 & 2004's are notorious for the ball joints going bad fast. We spent $700 on the front end and then around 109K the back differential going bad. Many Ford forums will tell you that after 80K miles your going to have a lot of expenses as things will begin to go bad in these cars FAST. I personally experienced this as ours started to go downhill very quickly. Traded it in for a Toyota 4Runner - a car that will go well past 100K miles and keep on tickin'.

used better
By rey on 03/01/10 14:54 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

By now some of the interior plasic parts are giving out like sun visors or driver seat parts, important stuff. Drive train noises like either bearings or rear end oil. After all it does have 165,000 miles and these things are expected, however ive had Nissan and Toyota whan I was thinner and small vehicles don't work but they lasted forever, its just good for BASIC transportation. Rough ride and cheap.

Lemon
By Beth on 08/02/09 11:38 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle as a work vehicle. It had minor problems until I hit 35,000 miles. It took Ford 3 tries to get a working rear end which lasted only another 30,000 miles. A number of idiot lights went bad, and now paint is peeling off the roof and the rear end is again making noise. This was my first and last Big 3 auto purchase.

Paint flys off in sheets off of roof
By haasis3 on 07/22/09 14:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our experience with Ford and this Ford Explorer has made us decide not to purchase any more Ford vehicles. This vehicle has had problems with warning lights showing up when there is no problem (started happening the very first month!), after 4 years the paint on the roof peeled off in sheets down to the bare metal and then rusted. Ford would have nothing to do with it (talked to Customer Service, the Ford body shop and dealership in SC). They wanted just under $1000 to repaint it even though it is obviously a flaw in the manufacturing and I have seen other reports on the internet. Also, now after 4.5 years, the gear shift indicator showing if you are in Park, Reverse, Drive doesn't work.

Starting to have small issues
By DW on 03/19/08 15:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Still drives like new at 63000 miles however had to have the water pump replaced and right after pulling out from the dealer about a week later my engine light went on they claimed it would cost $700 for the repairs but the SUV still ran great! Um I wonder after complaining and basicly stopping short of accusing them for this, I dropped it off at the dealer and after picking it up the light now goes off after starting the vehicle! Ummmm I wonder if I was not mechanically inclined person I would of paid the $700?

Should have bought extended warrenty
By mlogan03 on 07/25/07 21:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2004 Explorer new in December of 2003. I bought the basic XLS model and planned on using it for the short drive to work and the occasional trips out of town. It has been reliable until just last week when the ABS light, Service Engine, and the wrench light all came on at the same time. The cruise control also failed. The throttle body had to be replaced along with the rear wheel speed sensor. The vehicle has 32,000 miles and has been driven with care. Somewhat disappointed with the vehicle. Fortunately the Ford Service here was quite professional and had the vehicle back running in a couple of days.

Still Happy
By Jd on 05/05/07 14:11 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just coming up to 50,000 miles, not much to complain about. Still have original tires and brakes on the vehicle. Needs a little more refinement on the inside. The 2007 took care of that otherwise still happy.

Great Truck
By JD on 03/13/07 15:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great SUV so far - 47000 miles and still going, I still have the original tires with more miles to go. No problems since day 1.

Me
By JW on 09/09/06 10:02 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So far nothing but carefree driving. Getting about 18 mpg in the city and 21 on the highway...not bad for an suv.