2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Everything You Didn't Expect
By memartin7 on 08/20/14 11:45 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Explorer new, having owned both generations prior. This is by-far our favorite, and still sits in our driveway next to our 2007 Explorer today. We use ours for a daily driver and could not ask for a better vehicle given our needs. We have driven the majority of the time trouble free, but once we hit around the 110,000 - 125,000 mile marker, we started running into some issues, which is normal repairs that come with age. And despite the infamous transmission and tailgate cracking, we have encountered neither - but are aware that the problems exist. I would definitely purchase another one without hesitation. It's definitely a vehicle you will enjoy and want to keep.

2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4.6 @124,000
By flyhigh1988 on 07/02/14 09:22 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the truck in June of 2008 with 40K. Things I have absolutely had to replace:Rear axle bearing seal ($40), thermostate for radiator with seal (20), both front wheel bearings (250 a piece). Things that were wants not needs:Throttle body (700), cruise control cutoff switch (50), 4 motorcraft shocks and 8 ball joints total, front upper and lower and rear lower, front sway arm bushings (bushings wore out around 50K, buy moog bushings, Ford material is for the bushings is poor) ($600-700 for suspension parts) AC vent door components (300). AC was blowing cold air but the doors were stripped and the air was being blocked because they were not opening properly. This happened around 50K.

POS
By mikes201487 on 05/23/14 23:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car was lousy!!! Horrible experience, went thru so much with this. Well at 124,000 exactly the engine blew, so it was totled. the exale blew as well at 117,000 so this was a big problem this suv. made such loud noises no idea why, fuel was horrible...only thing it was comfortable. I have a ford mustang at 131,000 which is a 2002 with absoutly no problems whats so ever. I bought this suv at 57,000 and lasted till 124,000. NEVER AGAIN!

Doh!
By honkalu on 06/21/12 07:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased @ 83,000 miles. Replaced the crank shaft pulley, now the radiator is leaking. After reading about other problems and shelling out over a grand in my first year of ownership, I am considering selling. Have an 2002 civic I have done nothing to with 130,000 miles

Sell it when you hit 120k
By saben on 06/20/12 05:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased the car in 2005 with 30k on it. The truck operated fine until I hit 125,000 miles. at 125, the transmission went out and I had to put a new one in. at 135k, the timing belt went out. I guess the way they designed the belts, they have to pull the engine out of the truck to replace them, so we're talking approx 3,000 to replace the belt. The tow truck guy and the mecanic both said that whoever designed these was an idiot. lovely.

Loved it at first, but disappointed with the poor quality
By arizonapants on 05/10/12 21:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

When I first got this vehicle, I really liked it. After 8 years and 85,000 miles, I am ready to move on. Too many small problems like the visors that keep breaking, the cracked plastic on the back hatch, and a couple expensive repairs that should not have been necessary. I take good care of my vehicles and do all the maintenance. It's just some poor build quality starting to show through. Almost every 2004 Explorer has had these same problems and Ford will not acknowledge them nor address them. It's too bad because other than these annoyances it really is a nice vehicle.

Never again
By vr2usone on 04/02/12 13:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Ford and I will never again purchase another. My problems are small but trying to find parts is a pain and there's not an easy fix. The visors, the seat, the crack in the back are all common complaints for this make and model and Ford refuses to acknowledge these defects or offer an expensive fix. Each part I need starts out at $100 and goes up. If I can ever find some cheap replacement parts I'm going to fix them and trade this vehicle in for a Chevy.

Ford Tough
By jerguyntx on 01/04/12 13:30 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Aside from the throttle body being replaced the day after I bought my vehicle (Bought Used @ 31,000 miles) has been a great vehicle. Replaced brakes and tires around 67,000 miles now reaching 100,000 miles and the only thing that has happened is the replacement of the Temperature module (Leaking Radiator fluid). Doing a lot of city driving so I'm maxing about 14MPG, but get 21 - 21.5 on long trips. (Austin to Dallas) I can't fault my explorer in anyway. Paid it off in 2011 two full years early. Kudos to me. :-)

Explorer; poor choice; get a pilot or something
By tabbies on 12/21/11 16:07 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used in 09 w/ 80k+ miles. Now 105k. Poor fuel economy; I avg. 15 city, 16-17 highwy(67-77mph) UGLY interior. It's fine @ first but look at it for a while and you be sickened. Speaking of sickening; the tire noise @ high speeds is very. My kid had a stomach bug, and one or the other; tire noise or ugly interior finally made him give. I was about to follow suit. Heat failed, leaving us w/ 1 georgia winter and no heat. Drive/powertrain= reliable, luxurys(audio is funky too)=not. It WILL get u from place-to-place, but w/ @ a high price(not $). Don't recommend. (shifts are jerky but u get used to it, easy to maneuver, no cargo room w/ seats up, stick with 1.5-3k rpm for best perfor/effici

NOT Getting My Money's Worth Anymore
By wnyfordguy on 01/14/11 11:07 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Since my 1st review 1 yr and 8 mos ago, it has cost over $4500 to maintain this SUV. Don't get me wrong - it's still very functional & great to drive. It's never left me stranded. But only 15k miles more (67k) of soft driving turned it into a money pit. Best ($$$) Goodyear Fortera TripleTred tires only lasted 29k, lots of brake work, rear bearings (fronts went at 50k), and last & certainly not least, just got a rebuilt tranny. I've owned 12 Fords since 1984, not one a lemon, but this comes the closest. Don't buy one of the '02-'06 models unless you have $$$ to spend on repairs.