2004 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Doh!
By honkalu on 06/21/12 07:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased @ 83,000 miles. Replaced the crank shaft pulley, now the radiator is leaking. After reading about other problems and shelling out over a grand in my first year of ownership, I am considering selling. Have an 2002 civic I have done nothing to with 130,000 miles

Sell it when you hit 120k
By saben on 06/20/12 05:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased the car in 2005 with 30k on it. The truck operated fine until I hit 125,000 miles. at 125, the transmission went out and I had to put a new one in. at 135k, the timing belt went out. I guess the way they designed the belts, they have to pull the engine out of the truck to replace them, so we're talking approx 3,000 to replace the belt. The tow truck guy and the mecanic both said that whoever designed these was an idiot. lovely.

Loved it at first, but disappointed with the poor quality
By arizonapants on 05/10/12 21:29 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

When I first got this vehicle, I really liked it. After 8 years and 85,000 miles, I am ready to move on. Too many small problems like the visors that keep breaking, the cracked plastic on the back hatch, and a couple expensive repairs that should not have been necessary. I take good care of my vehicles and do all the maintenance. It's just some poor build quality starting to show through. Almost every 2004 Explorer has had these same problems and Ford will not acknowledge them nor address them. It's too bad because other than these annoyances it really is a nice vehicle.

Never again
By vr2usone on 04/02/12 13:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Ford and I will never again purchase another. My problems are small but trying to find parts is a pain and there's not an easy fix. The visors, the seat, the crack in the back are all common complaints for this make and model and Ford refuses to acknowledge these defects or offer an expensive fix. Each part I need starts out at $100 and goes up. If I can ever find some cheap replacement parts I'm going to fix them and trade this vehicle in for a Chevy.

Ford Tough
By jerguyntx on 01/04/12 13:30 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Aside from the throttle body being replaced the day after I bought my vehicle (Bought Used @ 31,000 miles) has been a great vehicle. Replaced brakes and tires around 67,000 miles now reaching 100,000 miles and the only thing that has happened is the replacement of the Temperature module (Leaking Radiator fluid). Doing a lot of city driving so I'm maxing about 14MPG, but get 21 - 21.5 on long trips. (Austin to Dallas) I can't fault my explorer in anyway. Paid it off in 2011 two full years early. Kudos to me. :-)

Explorer; poor choice; get a pilot or something
By tabbies on 12/21/11 16:07 PM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought used in 09 w/ 80k+ miles. Now 105k. Poor fuel economy; I avg. 15 city, 16-17 highwy(67-77mph) UGLY interior. It's fine @ first but look at it for a while and you be sickened. Speaking of sickening; the tire noise @ high speeds is very. My kid had a stomach bug, and one or the other; tire noise or ugly interior finally made him give. I was about to follow suit. Heat failed, leaving us w/ 1 georgia winter and no heat. Drive/powertrain= reliable, luxurys(audio is funky too)=not. It WILL get u from place-to-place, but w/ @ a high price(not $). Don't recommend. (shifts are jerky but u get used to it, easy to maneuver, no cargo room w/ seats up, stick with 1.5-3k rpm for best perfor/effici

NOT Getting My Money's Worth Anymore
By wnyfordguy on 01/14/11 11:07 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Since my 1st review 1 yr and 8 mos ago, it has cost over $4500 to maintain this SUV. Don't get me wrong - it's still very functional & great to drive. It's never left me stranded. But only 15k miles more (67k) of soft driving turned it into a money pit. Best ($$$) Goodyear Fortera TripleTred tires only lasted 29k, lots of brake work, rear bearings (fronts went at 50k), and last & certainly not least, just got a rebuilt tranny. I've owned 12 Fords since 1984, not one a lemon, but this comes the closest. Don't buy one of the '02-'06 models unless you have $$$ to spend on repairs.

Ford vehicle
By Kathy on 11/26/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle w/40,000 mil. on it. Had to return to dealer within 1 month with transmission problems. The transmission has had problems ever since. All the dash lights keep coming on from abs, airbag, 4wd to engine light. Rear end problems as well as bearings. I loved my first explorer which was a 95 and I never replaced a thing, drove it to 200,000 mil and it still ran. This vehicle is a lemon, I hate it. Can't wait to replace it. Side mirrors don't work, back up alarm doesn't work, tranny slips, noisy and has been to the garage 2 times for quitting and not re-starting. I know many people with the same problems as mine. I feel the ford quality has really slipped!

Great Vehicle to own
By R. Ferguson on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Fun to drive on road. handles like a sport car, and would not change a thing on it.

Takes a lickin' - BUT doesn't keep tickin'
By Artanis68 on 10/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car new and noticed around 80,000 miles things started to go wrong shortly thereafter. 2003 & 2004's are notorious for the ball joints going bad fast. We spent $700 on the front end and then around 109K the back differential going bad. Many Ford forums will tell you that after 80K miles your going to have a lot of expenses as things will begin to go bad in these cars FAST. I personally experienced this as ours started to go downhill very quickly. Traded it in for a Toyota 4Runner - a car that will go well past 100K miles and keep on tickin'.