Used 2004 Ford Explorer XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2004 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

POS
By mikes201487

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car was lousy!!! Horrible experience, went thru so much with this. Well at 124,000 exactly the engine blew, so it was totled. the exale blew as well at 117,000 so this was a big problem this suv. made such loud noises no idea why, fuel was horrible...only thing it was comfortable. I have a ford mustang at 131,000 which is a 2002 with absoutly no problems whats so ever. I bought this suv at 57,000 and lasted till 124,000. NEVER AGAIN!

Takes a lickin' - BUT doesn't keep tickin'
By Artanis68

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car new and noticed around 80,000 miles things started to go wrong shortly thereafter. 2003 & 2004's are notorious for the ball joints going bad fast. We spent $700 on the front end and then around 109K the back differential going bad. Many Ford forums will tell you that after 80K miles your going to have a lot of expenses as things will begin to go bad in these cars FAST. I personally experienced this as ours started to go downhill very quickly. Traded it in for a Toyota 4Runner - a car that will go well past 100K miles and keep on tickin'.

Favorite Features

Interior features on this car are nice and we had a DVD player, leather seats and power everything. The leather sadly began to breakdown and look really worn and faded after about 50K miles. Plenty of power outlets for your electrical devices.

Suggested Improvements

Quality, Quality, Quality. I have heard in recent years Ford has made great strides in this area, but as for me I am still leery of any American Made car. I have owned Toyota's, Nissan's and never experienced the disappointment I have with American made vehicles.

used better
By rey

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

By now some of the interior plasic parts are giving out like sun visors or driver seat parts, important stuff. Drive train noises like either bearings or rear end oil. After all it does have 165,000 miles and these things are expected, however ive had Nissan and Toyota whan I was thinner and small vehicles don't work but they lasted forever, its just good for BASIC transportation. Rough ride and cheap.

Favorite Features

its not so bad yet, will buy again but will fix or maintain elsewhere than ford

Suggested Improvements

replace those plastic parts on visor hinge with metal, and a more reliable radio cd system.

Lemon
By Beth

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle as a work vehicle. It had minor problems until I hit 35,000 miles. It took Ford 3 tries to get a working rear end which lasted only another 30,000 miles. A number of idiot lights went bad, and now paint is peeling off the roof and the rear end is again making noise. This was my first and last Big 3 auto purchase.

Suggested Improvements

Ford needs to step up to the plate for problems with these vehicles. 36K warranty is not acceptable for the problems this vehicle has.

Paint flys off in sheets off of roof
By haasis3

2004 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our experience with Ford and this Ford Explorer has made us decide not to purchase any more Ford vehicles. This vehicle has had problems with warning lights showing up when there is no problem (started happening the very first month!), after 4 years the paint on the roof peeled off in sheets down to the bare metal and then rusted. Ford would have nothing to do with it (talked to Customer Service, the Ford body shop and dealership in SC). They wanted just under $1000 to repaint it even though it is obviously a flaw in the manufacturing and I have seen other reports on the internet. Also, now after 4.5 years, the gear shift indicator showing if you are in Park, Reverse, Drive doesn't work.

Favorite Features

Size.

Suggested Improvements

Customer Service. Standing by the quality of their manufacturing. Gas Mileage (currently only get 14).