2003 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: No more new cars

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

XLT Sport 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 FFV 5-speed Automatic)

No more new cars
By Connie on

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Considering I've got 127,000 miles and looking back over the last 7 years of ownership I would have to say I've been somewhat pleases with this car. Unfortunately I'm having both front wheel bearing done now plus brakes and I'll be out $1500. The rear end whines horribly and you can't hear anyone talking but I'm not paying for the repair. Others have done it and problem returned. At least my tailgate cracked in warranty and they replaced it 4 times but it cracked again and I'm stuck with it now. I managed to keep a spare but won't bother putting it on. I'll need ball joints soon too. It's only worth $3500 on a trade so I'll hang on but no more new cars for me. Just not worth it.

Love the premium sound system and handles nice. Easy to see out of and comfortable.

Rear tailgate should have been a recall. I think the tailgate is not seated properly but newer Fords have been redesigned. Wonder why? The rear end is horrible and that seems to be the nature of the beast for many owners.