2003 Ford Explorer XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Ford Explorer 2003
By Ballestero on 02/05/08 18:23 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have this Ford XLT 4x4 since 2003 and never had to repair anything. I currently have 80,000 and all I've changed is tires, spark plugs and serpentine belt, oil every 3,500 miles. I can not ask for anything better...great truck. I feel very safe when I have my family with me. I believe that some things happened because of driving style and care of any car. My only problem is a development of squeaky noise in the front end and I've found what was, nothing of inportance, easy to fix. It is the lower control arm bushing that dries with the weather, WP40 did the job

My 2003 Limited Exp
By Ryne on 01/28/08 18:51 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2003 Limited Explorer in Feb of 2007. I've put about 20000 miles on it so far and I am extremely happy with it. I travel a lot and carry a lot of stuff with me and it has plenty or room for everything. I get around 19-22 mpg on the highway using gas and around 15 running ethanol. As far as driving the vehicle, it handles good and rides good as well but if your looking for a fun ride this is not the SUV for you. The AWD limites any attempt get "crazy", although, I did take it off road once in the snow and easily did donuts in 4WD! Overall, i would reccomend this vehicle to anyone who is looking for a nice, clean ride that looks and feels classy.

Great truck
By Ryan on 01/26/08 20:15 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love this truck I have never had a problem rides and runs smoothly the only problem I ever noticed with it was after fueling it takes about an hour to indicate that its full but whatever no big deal the only thing i had to take it in for was the a/c but they replaced the whole unit so it works great now. Great truck

2003 Explorer XLT
By John S. on 12/07/07 16:32 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Good truck, lousy gas mileage for a 6-banger, I can't believe people get 27 mpg when I am lucky to get 20 highway!

Don't buy an Explorer
By Brian Millar on 11/19/07 21:40 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I took very good care of our 2003 Ford Explorer (even took it to the dealer for the 30K checkup). At 59,500 miles and just under 5years, the transmission went out. The dealer wouldn't cover the replacement since Ford only offered 3yr/36K power train warranty at that time. The transmission specialist I took it to, indicated that he sees transmission problems all the time with Ford Explorers

Impressed
By Mike on 10/04/07 11:19 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our Explorer used with 16000 miles have no trouble with it except for the shift interlock at 18k and the rear end at 30k. The dealership was excellent in both cases. They replaced the rear end with no hassle (I took it in for a roar in the rear) after first trying to replace the bearing. Overall I have driven it on long trips through the mountains and love the responsiveness of the engine, comfort, and average mpg. Impressed after hearing a few horror stories. Would purchase again from the same dealer. I think the dealer makes a big difference.

Love our Explorer
By chris on 09/19/07 21:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We are thrilled for the most part with our 2003 XLT. We needed something big enough for 5 people and chose the Explorer. It is a blast to drive, when we have gone on trips we have gotten as high as 27 mpg on the highway. It is comfortable and spacious. We have had no problems except occasionally when we put it in reverse it will jerk. I have read some reviews and disagree with some of the negative ones we are very pleased for the most part. We pull a 21 ft travel trailer and forget it is behind us. However the interior trim does look some what cheap, but that is just ford!! We will buy another Explorer if need be. It is built Ford tough!

2003 Centenial Edition
By Andy on 08/25/07 08:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this truck figuring it would be great for many years! It has been good, but of course, it's had it share of problems. I don't care because, even a high end car has problems. Anything man made in reality. What I don't like is you have to jump thru hoops with Ford to get things fixed. Things they know about. Not untill I printed the TSB's for the problems did they get fixed for free. I've had the rear end done, lift gate replaced from the typical crack, shift interlock problem, wheel bearing, rear brakes locking up, and I'm sure a few others. Love the truck, just wish Ford could do a better job. No wonder they don't campaign "Job 1 Quality First" anymore :(

2003 Explorer LTD
By Tom on 08/13/07 06:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

In the last year, this car has givem me fits. The exterior is fine, but I have had multiple problems. CD player malfunctions. AC does not work when outside temperature passes 85. If it's hot outside and I am on the highway, the temperature gauge somtetimes spikes to "H" and I get dashboard warnings. But several checks to repair places and two dealers could not correct the problem. The back bumper mounted sensors also stopped working after two years.

Explorer has wheel bearing issues
By Phil Gilbert on 08/08/07 09:02 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Like the truck except front wheel bearings need replacing after only 52,000 miles at a cost of $1,000. Ford would not assist, not covered by warranty. Dealer says that most issues are rear end failure with low miles. This is clearly a design or parts issue that Ford should assist owner with Will not purchase another one.