Used 2003 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

BEST PERFORMING SUV I EVER OWNED
By TONY ZAMPARELLI

2003 Ford Explorer NBX 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck has always been fun to drive. On the highway it is very nimble. Changing lanes is very predictable. Their is plenty of power when needed inpart to 3:73LS AXLE that allows for faster acceleration. The auto fwd feature can be annoying with the slight hesitation in grabbing the pavement when the rear wheels slip. But it does do the job. I prefer to keep in full time 4 wheel drive in heavy snow. It's a nice easy truck to drive. I've had very few mayor problems with. I replaced the flywheel at 85000. Theirs been no engine problems. It does have the second set of tires and second set of brakes.

Favorite Features

I love the 5 speed overdrive transmission. It actually lets you start in 1 2 3 or drive. With the independent rear suspension going over bumps is a breeze

Suggested Improvements

better windshield wipers. And a better front defroster. It is very hard to keep clean when their is a lot of ice.

Reliable
By Larry

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Does exactly what you need it to. Fits the wife, kids and dog and tows a trailer great. Does awesome 4WD donuts in the snow. No engine or tranny issues. Goes through rotors and pads fast (every two or three years). Replaced tires once. Replaced battery once. Replaced rear wiper motor once. Crack in plastic rear door near wiper as others have noted. Always starts, never stalls.

Favorite Features

Good audio. Stearing is still tight. Very versatile. Love the fold down rear seats snd the storage compartments under the rear deck.

Suggested Improvements

Need to recall the cracked plastic near the rear wiper. Don't ever design rear rotors with drum e-brakes.

Done with Ford
By Mike

2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car new for my wife, she loved it! Year 1 had to replace the brakes, $200 JUST for the rear pads no labor(repeat annually). Year 2, air bag sensor broke - 'fixed' 5 times still broken. Year 3-4, transmission went at 55000 miles, just past warranty $3000, front wheel bearing went $600, CD player jams can't use it anymore. Year 6, front wheel bearing gone again and just replaced the battery a second time. If my other car were paid off, I'd buy a honda or toyota today.

Favorite Features

Looked great on the lot, just don't drive it home.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, Reliability, Reliability!!!!!

Real SUV
By T. Gregory

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used with 28000 miles on it. Was real impressed with the ride, not mushy, felt like a real truck, solid. Handles very well, plenty of power, 4X4 worked perfect everytime, exellent in snow. I sold it with 69000 miles on it, never once had any sort of problem with the vehicle other than replacing the battery. I would definately buy another Explorer, worth every penny I spent for it.

Favorite Features

4X4, leather seats, rear seat, easy to get in and out, stylish as SUV's go, practical.

Suggested Improvements

none, great as is.

great suv
By explorer

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle with 56k and it now has 62k and so far no problems. The thrid row seat is actually usable and provides more room than a family members 04 tahoe. Great handling and mpg on the hwy and decent city milage. I take very good care of my explorer and I also expect nothing less than great reliablity, I am not rough but not easy on my explorer. As long as you follow the recomended services then the explorer will provide you with a long life.

Favorite Features

The black interior which is rare for the 2003 model year. The premium sound system, a usable third row seats, great handling for an suv and a strong engine.

Suggested Improvements

Tailgate cracks on most explorer, has yet to happen to mind because I close the hatch by pressing on the wiper. Also another improvement is the window assembly doesnt seem to be very tough. All in all it is a sold suv.