Used 2003 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 332 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

couldn't believe
By Cynic

2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

couldn't believe that I would love an American built car/truck so much. no major issues, owned for 6 yrs. rides good (knock on wood), handles good, reliable (again knock on wood - don't want to jinx myself). :-)

AWD and V8 capability, as well as the seating. I'm unstoppable, fast, and comfortable doing it.

gas, but i think in the 2010 model, that is resolved a bit.

No more new cars
By Connie

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Considering I've got 127,000 miles and looking back over the last 7 years of ownership I would have to say I've been somewhat pleases with this car. Unfortunately I'm having both front wheel bearing done now plus brakes and I'll be out $1500. The rear end whines horribly and you can't hear anyone talking but I'm not paying for the repair. Others have done it and problem returned. At least my tailgate cracked in warranty and they replaced it 4 times but it cracked again and I'm stuck with it now. I managed to keep a spare but won't bother putting it on. I'll need ball joints soon too. It's only worth $3500 on a trade so I'll hang on but no more new cars for me. Just not worth it.

Love the premium sound system and handles nice. Easy to see out of and comfortable.

Rear tailgate should have been a recall. I think the tailgate is not seated properly but newer Fords have been redesigned. Wonder why? The rear end is horrible and that seems to be the nature of the beast for many owners.

Transmission Fiasco
By idahojoe

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new off the lot and the car would shake violently over 60mph. Ford finally replaced the complete rear drive train due to defects. Guess what, started shaking again about a month later. They replaced it again. Now at 80,000 the transmission that was "replaced" is toast and the radiator cracked.

USA - start making a vehicle that is not disposible after 65000 miles.

BEST PERFORMING SUV I EVER OWNED
By TONY ZAMPARELLI

2003 Ford Explorer NBX 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck has always been fun to drive. On the highway it is very nimble. Changing lanes is very predictable. Their is plenty of power when needed inpart to 3:73LS AXLE that allows for faster acceleration. The auto fwd feature can be annoying with the slight hesitation in grabbing the pavement when the rear wheels slip. But it does do the job. I prefer to keep in full time 4 wheel drive in heavy snow. It's a nice easy truck to drive. I've had very few mayor problems with. I replaced the flywheel at 85000. Theirs been no engine problems. It does have the second set of tires and second set of brakes.

I love the 5 speed overdrive transmission. It actually lets you start in 1 2 3 or drive. With the independent rear suspension going over bumps is a breeze

better windshield wipers. And a better front defroster. It is very hard to keep clean when their is a lot of ice.

Reliable
By Larry

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Does exactly what you need it to. Fits the wife, kids and dog and tows a trailer great. Does awesome 4WD donuts in the snow. No engine or tranny issues. Goes through rotors and pads fast (every two or three years). Replaced tires once. Replaced battery once. Replaced rear wiper motor once. Crack in plastic rear door near wiper as others have noted. Always starts, never stalls.

Good audio. Stearing is still tight. Very versatile. Love the fold down rear seats snd the storage compartments under the rear deck.

Need to recall the cracked plastic near the rear wiper. Don't ever design rear rotors with drum e-brakes.