Used 2003 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 332 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great Truck
By Karen

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Reading these reviews makes one worry so I had to chime in. At 100K I've only done basic maintenance, put in the new a/c and repaired the drivers window. Brakes at 60K and new tires. Yes, she needs the bearing done now but folks, no vehicle runs without a few replacements. On the positive, best drive around in an SUV, room galore, great 4X4 and the best comfort available. The hood paint peeling was an early issue and Ford replaced with a non aluminum at no cost. This is my second Explorer (1999 and 2003). '99 was the 6 cyl EB edition and I just wanted more power. With gas where it is, I'm looking for a 6 again now. Can't kill that engine, never a tranny issue with either.

Comfort, room, drive, low cost repairs (compared to imports) low cost maintenance, durability of interior components, mountain and snow driving, safety. Love it all.

Ford lost another customer
By bgdbooboo

2003 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this SUV with 60.000 miles on it. Within 1 year the rear differential died, ac compressor, transmission rebuilt, wheel bearings, ball joints, brakes on all 4 corners. Multiple other maint items. All that said the transmission is shot again and the rear is whining and chattering again. I'm a single parent of two. One of which is handicapped. I cannot afford any of these repairs anymore and will never buy another explorer.

Comfortable ride and plenty of room for me my kids and my sons wheelchair

I've owned fords since I was a kid and never had any problems. They need to go back to building quality cars like they used to along time ago instead of this garbage.

Do not buy a 2003 Ford exploder
By Bigjimmy

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Since I purchased this car used for $11K Ive spent another $12k in repairs; the transmission needed to be rebuilt; the engine a moth later; both rear bearings went out causing the knuckles to get damaged; I've replaced the A/C compressor THREE TIMES in 3 years; the fuel pump went out ; the wiring is bad; the stereo has CDs in its changer that will never come out again; the check engine light goes on every two weeks or so; the tailgate has a crack where the (Fix Or Repair Daily) emblem is and it gets lousy mileage costing me about $100.00 a week in gas alone just to drive to work. I HATE this car; but thanks to all the money I've spent fixing it, I can't afford to buy something else.

I Hate this car but can no longer afford to buy another car thanks to all the repairs. I am Terrified to drive it in traffic. My wife and two children have had to be towed home no less than 4 times!

A long trip off a tall cliff?? About five sticks of TNT and some THERMITE?

FORD fan for life! :)
By Karen

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car [used] five years ago with 22,000+ miles on it. It has served us perfectly well in all of this time until its untimely demise in an auto accident a few days ago. I walked away from the accident with not one scratch. With an impact of more than 45 MPH, it could have been much, much worse. "Built FORD tough..." Yes INDEED! In addition to the car itself, the fact that Ford did not take any of the government stimulus money keeps me faithful to such a sturdy and independent organization. Sure, nobody's perfect, but FORD is perfect for me! I am in the market for a new car and am searching far and wide for another FORD to call my own! :)

Third row seating, safety features, 4WD options, sound system, smooth ride and overall family friendly styling.

Improved gas mileage would be about my only suggested improvement.

Tailgate Recall
By Bob

2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

They need to recall the tailgate on this model for design defects relating to the crack at the emblem. Dealer says no. If not a design defect, why the design before and after this year include only the glass that would lift. Nearly every vehicle of this type has the crack at the emblem located on the tailgate. Can be fixed to the tune of nearly $800 at my cost.