Used 2003 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Transmission Problems
By Dee

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle within a 2 years of owning this SUV I have replaced transmission twice. Buyer beware.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Do not buy.

Mixed
By Bill

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Before 36K ran out Ford fixed trans three times and put in a new one, finally. Replaced total rear end after Differential gears went NG twice. Ford than replaced bearings in their new rear end. Brakes are typical Ford truck and don't last. I have had Fords for 40 years. Mileage is terrible, 15 mpg. Electric sensors are typical made in China junk and have failures galore. This is my last Ford. Too bad, Ford just buys crappy parts from the lowest bidder and the consumer pays the price. I hear their new small cars are decent. Stick with Toyota or if you like Ford explorer stick with the V8 Eddie Bauer It is a better all around quality version of the other explorers but you pay or that.

Favorite Features

Ride, interior design, good engines.

Suggested Improvements

Buy better parts and stop sticking the consumer with lousy components from China etc. The small V8 should be in all Explorers, Better mileage etc. Improve the brakes after 30 years of bad design and quality.

Great Truck
By Karen

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Reading these reviews makes one worry so I had to chime in. At 100K I've only done basic maintenance, put in the new a/c and repaired the drivers window. Brakes at 60K and new tires. Yes, she needs the bearing done now but folks, no vehicle runs without a few replacements. On the positive, best drive around in an SUV, room galore, great 4X4 and the best comfort available. The hood paint peeling was an early issue and Ford replaced with a non aluminum at no cost. This is my second Explorer (1999 and 2003). '99 was the 6 cyl EB edition and I just wanted more power. With gas where it is, I'm looking for a 6 again now. Can't kill that engine, never a tranny issue with either.

Favorite Features

Comfort, room, drive, low cost repairs (compared to imports) low cost maintenance, durability of interior components, mountain and snow driving, safety. Love it all.

Ford lost another customer
By bgdbooboo

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this SUV with 60.000 miles on it. Within 1 year the rear differential died, ac compressor, transmission rebuilt, wheel bearings, ball joints, brakes on all 4 corners. Multiple other maint items. All that said the transmission is shot again and the rear is whining and chattering again. I'm a single parent of two. One of which is handicapped. I cannot afford any of these repairs anymore and will never buy another explorer.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride and plenty of room for me my kids and my sons wheelchair

Suggested Improvements

I've owned fords since I was a kid and never had any problems. They need to go back to building quality cars like they used to along time ago instead of this garbage.

Do not buy a 2003 Ford exploder
By Bigjimmy

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Since I purchased this car used for $11K Ive spent another $12k in repairs; the transmission needed to be rebuilt; the engine a moth later; both rear bearings went out causing the knuckles to get damaged; I've replaced the A/C compressor THREE TIMES in 3 years; the fuel pump went out ; the wiring is bad; the stereo has CDs in its changer that will never come out again; the check engine light goes on every two weeks or so; the tailgate has a crack where the (Fix Or Repair Daily) emblem is and it gets lousy mileage costing me about $100.00 a week in gas alone just to drive to work. I HATE this car; but thanks to all the money I've spent fixing it, I can't afford to buy something else.

Favorite Features

I Hate this car but can no longer afford to buy another car thanks to all the repairs. I am Terrified to drive it in traffic. My wife and two children have had to be towed home no less than 4 times!

Suggested Improvements

A long trip off a tall cliff?? About five sticks of TNT and some THERMITE?