2003 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews 5

2003 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
not bad
By abbott on 09/30/09 11:41 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

i've owned this truck for 4 and a half years and havent had many problems. i changed the whole rearend because of it screaming.that has been the only issue.my wife and two small children drive it and love it. this is my second cxplorer and will definetly have more in the future

My Last Ford
By Phil on 08/25/09 13:54 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 7th (and last) Ford. I bought it used with 34000 miles on it four years ago. It now has 61500 miles on it, and in that time I have replaced: the rear differential, the rear axle seals, the rear main seal, the oil pan gasket, the cruise control servo, the transmission cooler, and both front wheel bearings. Thank goodness I bought the extended warranty. Also, the paint is peeling at the corners of the hood. I have seen many Explorer's do this, and have heard it is a problem with many of them. The third row seat is nice, but doesn't allow much room for any cargo.

2003 Ford Explorer
By HD on 08/24/09 18:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Do Not Buy this vehicle!! What a waste. I have replaced the rear differential at a cost of $1100, only to have it right back in the shop with more rear end problems. I bought this because it featured a 3rd row seat, which is great, however it spends more time in the shop than it is driven. I will never buy another Ford.

reliability
By Ryan on 07/22/09 09:57 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it from company I worked with after it was given to me as work vehicle. I have more than 130k on it and only have had to repair standard wear and tear items (brakes and wheal bearings) never have replaced more than once. The car has been hammered on with rough roads and long winters. It is great for towing. I put a brush gaurd on the front and it looks great. I am 6ft 5' and it is very comfortable for me. The car has been put through a lot and runs like it did when I got it.

Great SUV
By Explorer User on 07/15/09 23:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car to replace a vehicle that couldnt do everything i needed from my car. I love this car, i can fit 2 bikes in the summer and all the boards, skis, and gear of 5 people in the winter time(this car handles great in snow) i drive it pretty hard offroad and it takes all of the punishment without issues. its been jumped, drifted, backed into, smashed, and evertything else i throw at it and it keeps going. the mpg is not great in the town but its a SUV. however i recently put a flowmaster 40 on it which made it sound great and it brought the mpg up to 17-18 which is fabtastic to me because i drive it hard. the only problem i have it a CV joint but thats a wear item and easy to fix.

So far so good
By Rufus on 07/01/09 07:21 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This isn't my daily driver, but it has been basically reliable so far. The plastic underneath the rear hatch glass cracked inexplicably a few months ago, but that has been the only significant problem. Good highway ride, good in the snow, plenty of room for hauling stuff around. Rear A/C with controls up front is a very nice feature even if you don't have people in the back, because it gets the cabin frosty cold in a hurry even on hot days (American cars always seem to have better, stronger AC than Japanese for some reason). On the highway, mileage isn't horrible for such a big heavy vehicle, but it stinks in town. I expect I'll be getting several more years out of it.

pleasure to cruis
By Ford4Life on 06/04/09 14:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV NBX 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have to say over all the vehicle is a pleasure to drive. Very comfortable ride and no too bad on gas. I cant say i have had any major problems and as far as minor problems well.. the only trouble i have had so far was first on the passenger side the door sensor built into the lock that told the vehicle the door was closed stopped working properly. I needed to take off the door panel and play around with it and used a little WD-40. not sure what caused it but my fix seemed to work. Roughly 3 moths later same on the drivers side - same fix worked fine and they have both been fine since. Had the vehicle and needed to change all rotors and brake pads once. Besides that I cant complain at all

Cracks Up
By crackedup on 05/15/09 10:49 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I only have one complaint about my explorer. One day for no apparant reason my back hatch CRACKED! LITERALLY. If you look at an 03 explorer the hatch is 2 pieces. Under the window on the top piece there is a composite piece that now has 2 huge cracks in it. The dealership says they see it all the time but can't fix it because there is no recall. I have googled it and there are way tomany people with this problm. My concern is If water gets down through the crack it could very well rust the latching mechanism and make it fail to work properly and I have a 1 yr old and 3 yr old in the back seat.

Best truck i've had
By ryguy on 04/23/09 00:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought at 70K miles from Ford dealer in Boston. Drove home to find out rear window was stuck up. Local Ford dear fixed for free! Currently at 140K and all I've had to do was rear brakes at 136K, alternator and battery at 105K and going to do front brakes next month probably. I see all these issues and wonder why mine hasn't had these issues. Maybe it did, but not with me. I really should replace spark plugs and wires but waiting for the extra money. Handles AWESOME in snow. Gas is decent with V6 getting an average of 16 city and town- would be better if i drove a little nicer :) Love the truck and will be getting another one. Everyone compliments me on it whether they drive it ir drive in it

Not worth the money!
By michelle n on 03/28/09 14:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle three years ago, with only 30,000 miles. I had to replace the brakes/rotors all around, shortly after purchasing, all four wheel July, and I just found out that I needed all of these items replaced again. This thing had 17" wheels, and I had to replace them every 10 months. The transmission had a whine in it, there was a clicking noise and a really loud roaring sound in the front, drivers side. The cruise control didn't work. It would frequently take spells of not starting. It would grind really fast, like it had been flooded, and I would just have to sit and wait for it to start. It was quite roomy, but it was hard on gas and tires, and very expensive to fix.