Used 2003 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Tranny problems/Cracked lift gate
By mlong30

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I have had my explorer for eight months. It has a cracked lift gate which is obviously a known problem and has to have the tranny replaced at 127k miles this is a known problem and Ford refuses to take care of it. Read consumer reviews befor buying

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Put a tranny dipstick on the truck

Tranny Nightmare
By demo_derby

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Flashing OD light and service engine soon come on at 62K miles while my son is driving to prom. Dealer makes us wait 4 days to get in the shop. They have it all day, never call, when I call them they ask to call back in a few minutes. They claim lots of transmission diagnostic codes (though when I pick up vehicle service engine light is still on and no sign that anyone tested anything). They want 4000 to replace transmission plus tell me I have a frozen caliper. I take care home, pull front wheels, caliper isn't frozen but metal on metal on inside of brakes (they checked 2K miles back and said no issue). Car still going with bad tranny for now, I replaced the brakes, no more Fords.

Favorite Features

Car is comfortable and has tons of room.

Suggested Improvements

Handles poorly in snow, boaty on it's best day, poor visibility at night without turning on fog lamps, tranny issues, passenger side tire wear is bad (was also in the Mazda Navajo we used to own, another Ford mess). Brakes always an issue, rotors constantly warping. We have low mileage on this thing and gave it to my new driver son after tranny issues to let him drive it into the ground. Ford needs to own up to their transmission problems and make good with their customers or they will have none.

transmission problems--cracked REAR panel (2 cracks)
By marie517

2003 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have replaced TWO transmissions in the past 2 years--there are 2 cracks on the rear panel door--I have seen soo many other vehicles(Ford Explorers) with the same cracks!! WHAT IS FORD DOING ABOUT THIS..I CALLED AND COMPLAINED TO FORD AND THEY SAID THEY HAVE NO RECALLS OR ISSUES ON THIS.[violative content deleted]

Favorite Features

NONE

Suggested Improvements

GET IT TOGETHER FORD..IF U WANT CUSTOMERS THAN DEAL AND TAKE CARE OF THEM!!

Excellent Vehicle after 7 Years
By Andre

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After reading through the Cons. Reviews on this site, I felt the need to comment on my bullet proof Ford Explorer. I am at 99,900 miles and have had not one problem and the engine and smooth transmission still perform like the day I bought it. Before my daughter's try outs for a local perf. arts school, her clarinet lessons were a necessity. Through major snow storms that kept most in their homes, we were able to tackle the snow and ice with ease and still make it to her lessons. The ride and handling are exemplary and the hwy ride is very quiet-my family and I feel no pressure to speak up during front-to-3rd convers. I follow the maint. guide and it will likely serve me well for many more..

Favorite Features

Ride, Handling (better than my Pathfinder), Quietness, Solid Build Quality (No rattles or damaged components after 7 yrs), Reliability, Passenger Space (even in 3rd row), User-Friendly, Convenient compartments and many cup holders, Hwy Ride, Stereo (Very Nice Sound), Versatility (Simple Seating Adj)

Suggested Improvements

None

Middle of The Road
By Stephanie

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

We bought our Explorer with 7 years and 80k on it. I did my research before buying the truck. I knew there were problems with the transmissions along with a list of other known problems. Our truck seems to have no transmission issues. It shifts very smoothly. Of course, it could have already been replaced. The one problem that we are having is it loses coolant. Every few days I have to add water to it. Have not had it diagnosed, but will be soon. My husband worries that it is going into the engine which will cost some major bucks for an engine rebuild. At this time we are hoping that is not what it is. I love my truck. It rides good, is comfortable, and looks good.

Favorite Features

ride, comfort, stereo, leather quality, wheels

Suggested Improvements

hatch plastic cracking, GAS MILEAGE! I get about 12 in the city! My husbands Tahoe gets 15, that's ridiculous.