2003 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
3500 Miles in a week
By sloan4 on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm not the owner, but drove this company vehicle 3500 miles in a week. Had good ride quality considering 4wd. Glove compartment, storage areas and cup holders were sized and placed well. 4.0 V6 gave peppy performance, although the 5spd auto had to shift often to keep the engine in the power band. Audio and other controls were well placed except for rear-wipers and door handles Base non-power cloth seats were as horrible as anything I have EVER had to sit in. My '81 Chevette seats were better. Padding/support was non- existant.My rear end was sore after 20 miles, and it didn't get better.

danny
By ddanny on 09/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

this car has been in the dealer since l bought it i did not get to drive it for 1week the car does not start in the morning and this car has alot of body role you feel you are going to flip when you take a turn at 20 i am going to buy the chevy tahoe because it has better ride. that will be the last time i will buy a ford

State of the Art SUV
By Pogi on 09/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This one definitely kicks. Mine had a punchy V8 which is very reliable when overtaking or merging lanes. Rides very smooth like a car. A striking appearance especially the front silver grille, combined with the boxy look of the front. At night, the dashboard looks like the control panel of a jetliner - control buttons here and there. The automatic climate control is truly versatile - it does all 4 you including defogging the windows. Steering is very responsive. Overall performance is excellent in all areas and conditions - thanks to its front AND rear independent suspensions.

Good SUV, Bad quality control
By JJCCC on 09/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Had to drive back to dealer 3times in less than a week to fix small things.

Good car / Bad manufacturer
By First Ford on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Brand new explorder-EB -> Good looking and smooth acceleration -> Having 3rd row seat is good but, when folded, it doesn't go flat -> When seats are folded, you'll need cargo organizer. There are a lot of small holes. -> Expect a few trips to dealer to get the car manufacturing done. They don't seem to finish it at the factory.

Good domestic suv
By john 25 on 08/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this particular vehicle for only several months, but I am very impressed with the way this vehicle handles and accelerates even though it has the 6 cyl engine. Steering is very good for a "truck", and the brakes are outstanding also. Gas mileage has improved from about 15mpg to between 18 to 20 mpg. On a recent 375 mile trip to maine the seats remained supportive and on center tracking was very good. The optional 3rd row seating stows away very nicely allowing plenty of versatility.

Just a Couple of Mistakes
By Marcuso on 08/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Put a CD player back into the base model. Nobody uses tapes much anymore. Secondly, Where is the second power point? I had to buy one at Radio Shack, drill a hole in the dash, and wire it up myself.

My First SUV
By Angela Malo on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We live at the end of a long driveway. Two winters agao, I got stuck in the driveway 2 tmes due to heavy snow. I told my husband that I was not going to get stuck again. AFter having already a 4WD Ranger, we decided to purchase a 2002 Explorer. I have had the explorer for 11 months, and I love it. It was a great purchase...................

OUR EXPLORER
By James Oldfield on 08/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We like what Ford did with the Explorer the extra inches that was added to the overall vechicle,changed the whole vechicle. We have only taken one short trip in it from Riverside to San Fransico. The only problem that we could find is on wash board roads you can feel ever thing, other then that I would reccomed this vichicle to everone,its not to big to whwer its over powering and not to small to where every thing eles look so much bigger.

Great American SUV!
By CT Review on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

We love our Eddie Bauer Explorer! The styling of the body and interior is excellent. The interior is extremely comfortable and spacious. Our previous vehical was a Jeep Grand Cherokee which we decided to trade in when the rear end went after only 60,000 miles as well as other problems. The duel climate control is a blessing and the 6 disc indash CD/stereo has tremendous sound. The controls on the steering wheel are an added bonus and simplify things while driving. Gas milage could be better (average 14 back roads and 19 highway) but what do you expect with a V8. Ford's done a good job with the redesigned 2002 Explorer.