Used 2003 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

We Love It
By Dave McAfee

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We love the ride and the handling of our 2003 Explorer XLT 4WD. It pulls our boat extremely well, and has great low-end torque at the ramp. The power driver seat is very adjustable, and we like the lumbar support adjustments. The vehicle feels very steady and solid. My wife loves it. The turning radius is hard to believe. If you test drive one, be sure to do a slow 360 with the wheel to the post, you will be shocked!

Turning radius, power seat, dual lumbar, creature comforts.

Only one...tilt steering lever needs upgrading. It is the old clamp and release style.

Mixed Review
By pjl275

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Nice riding SUV, very roomy compared to others in class. Handles very well and love the independent rear suspension. V-8 has good power, with lots of V-8 noise on acceleration. Transmission tends to bang when slowing to a stop when going downhill (tries to upshift). Too many rattles, the doors and entire cargo area seem to rattle. Will take to dealer soon, perhaps hatch is rattling. If it did not rattle so much, I would recommend. Runs on reg gas.

3rd row seat. Rear suspension and ride. Comfortable ride and roominess.

Ford needs to understand that new cars should not rattle. Otherwise, the design is really nicely executed.

Great vehicle, but a gas guzzler..
By Kevin1961

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my 2003 Ford Explorer. Its a very safe vehicle with great power. But the gas mileage is horrendous. Right now I am lucky to be getting 15 MPG on the highway. I travel over a mountain everyday so that probably takes some of the fuel, but its also Hawaii...Aloha

High road visibility and comfortable seating.

Someone please do something to improve fuel economy...

Outstanding
By Howser

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The 2003 Limited is great...the ride, increase in size (albeit minimal), handling, quietness, power and options (DVD entertainment system, third row seating, rear AC and the roll over safety canopy air bags) are outstanding and comforting to have. I purchased the new 2003 Limited with the monochromatic ceramic white tri-coat metalic paint, which sort of sparkles in direct sunlight and parchment leather interior. I love the look...not to mention the 17" chrome wheels. I have received a lot of complements from friends and strangers alike. Ford did a great job.

Heated memory power seats, the in-dash 6 CD changer, rear DVD entertainment system with wireless headphones and of course, the roll over protection of the safety canopy air bags. Oh yeah, the 4.6L V8. It is smooth, powerful and has a 7,000lb. towing capacity.

Ford should offer an SVT version with 20" chrome wheels, sport suspension and tuned exhaust.

Proud Owner
By '03 XLT

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my '98 Rodeo for this truck, and I am glad I did. The exporer has more than enough room. Although I will rarely use it, I love having the third row seating. I wish that I would have gotten the V8. The V6 is fine, but I would like the V8. The Rodeo had 4wheel drive. My expo doesn't, hope That I am not going to need it. But this is my wife's truck and she loves it.

3rd row seating. Tight turning radius. Smooth ride. Stereo sound quality. 5 speed auto. Big suv feel. Lots of room. Looks like an Exedition from 50ft away.

At least 250 horses from the V6,and at least 280 horses from the V8.

• SUV