Used 2003 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great vehicle, but a gas guzzler..
By Kevin1961

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my 2003 Ford Explorer. Its a very safe vehicle with great power. But the gas mileage is horrendous. Right now I am lucky to be getting 15 MPG on the highway. I travel over a mountain everyday so that probably takes some of the fuel, but its also Hawaii...Aloha

High road visibility and comfortable seating.

Someone please do something to improve fuel economy...

Outstanding
By Howser

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The 2003 Limited is great...the ride, increase in size (albeit minimal), handling, quietness, power and options (DVD entertainment system, third row seating, rear AC and the roll over safety canopy air bags) are outstanding and comforting to have. I purchased the new 2003 Limited with the monochromatic ceramic white tri-coat metalic paint, which sort of sparkles in direct sunlight and parchment leather interior. I love the look...not to mention the 17" chrome wheels. I have received a lot of complements from friends and strangers alike. Ford did a great job.

Heated memory power seats, the in-dash 6 CD changer, rear DVD entertainment system with wireless headphones and of course, the roll over protection of the safety canopy air bags. Oh yeah, the 4.6L V8. It is smooth, powerful and has a 7,000lb. towing capacity.

Ford should offer an SVT version with 20" chrome wheels, sport suspension and tuned exhaust.

Proud Owner
By '03 XLT

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my '98 Rodeo for this truck, and I am glad I did. The exporer has more than enough room. Although I will rarely use it, I love having the third row seating. I wish that I would have gotten the V8. The V6 is fine, but I would like the V8. The Rodeo had 4wheel drive. My expo doesn't, hope That I am not going to need it. But this is my wife's truck and she loves it.

3rd row seating. Tight turning radius. Smooth ride. Stereo sound quality. 5 speed auto. Big suv feel. Lots of room. Looks like an Exedition from 50ft away.

At least 250 horses from the V6,and at least 280 horses from the V8.

My Ford Explorer
By sherryg99

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Ford!

My favorite feature would have to be the remote control. Being able to find my SUV with it, unlock the trunk with it and lock it back all with the touch of a button is great! Next best feature is the great gas mileage!

Mixed Feelings
By Ray in Calgary, AB

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I like this vehicle but have a problem with it the dealer just can't fix. It has a loud noise and vibration from the (we think) drivetrain at highway speeds. Ford has a TSB on it but no sure cure. I have seen my dealer 7 times about this problem. Otherwise I like the vehicle design and performance.

Vehicle size, cargo capacity and performance are excellent and well suited to family use.

Better build quality.