2003 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Quite a change
By Duane D on 11/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Although I've only had the vehicle a very short time, it looks like a love affair is in the making. I went from a Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible to the Explorer and love it. I was afraid it would feel too big, but does not. I love the fit and finish in the new fords and the exterior turns heads. The 6 cyl 4.0 seems to pack enough punch and the 5 speed tranny is a dream.

Amazing
By Goose Bumps on 11/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I jumped 8 years in technology when I purchased my new truck and FORD made the 2003 Explorer a dream to own. I've had my Limited edition for 2 months now and it still gives me goose bumps each time I drive it. I had a 1994 Explorer XLT and going to the 2003 I was just amazed at the changes and handling charactistics this new truck had plus, the impressive speed this new V8 can do. I have friends that have ML320's, Honda MDX and Chev Trailblazers and the 2003 Explorer is right up there with them in some cases leading the pack with the new safety features, roominess and the advance tracking system.

My new 2003 Explorer - comments...
By toecutter on 11/12/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like the design and the included running boards on the sport option package. The 17" wheels look much better, along with the two-tone paint. I bought this mostly for the 3rd row - there was more legroom than I thought, but the floor raises where the spare is located under the truck, so your feet are always on a bump.

2002 1/2
By Tripodi on 10/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got this ford explorer because i needed the exta room and let me say it does the job. i had a 97 ford explorer sport before, night and day it looks and feels like 2 different manufactures made theses SUVs.

Right Choice
By DRA- 53214 on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Limited AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

After narrowing my choice of new a SUV to the Envoy and Explorer, I finally went with the Explorer based on the numerous (+)reports on the and not so good reports on the Envoy. One last drive of both clinched it for the Explorer even though I wasn't thrilled with the styling and trim. I was suprised when I got my new 2003 limited and saw the many up-grades to trim (the dash now has a "rich" looking wood trim, new gauges, etc). After 2 Jeeps I must say the ride is very nice, handling is good.

Redesigned Explorer is a winner
By Jk on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I recently purchased a 2002 Explorer XLT and it's a terrific automobile. It's quiet, has smooth aceleration and looks great. I purchased a third seat which is a great advantage for a mid- size SUV. The new Explorer should ensure that Explorer brand continues to do well.

DARLA'S NEW RIDE
By BINNY on 09/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

TRADED IN 2001EXPEDTION.MISS EXTRA ROOM IN 2NDROW SEAT AND WITDH,BUT NOT SLOPY HANDLING OR 3RD SEAT.HANDLING WITH IRS IN EXPORER IS EXCELLENT.V8 POWER IS GREAT,RIDE GOOD HIGH TOW RATING,DID NOT COME WITH ADJUSTABLE PEDALS BIG MISTAKE AT ONLY 100$THEY SHOULD BE STANDARD.IM TALL MY WIFES SHORT.OVERALL LOVE THE SIZE,TURNING RADIUS,BRAKES AND STEERING LOOKS GREAT WITH CUSTOM WHEELS!

BEST EXPLORER I'VE HAD
By RON G on 09/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

THIS IS MY 3RD EXPLORER SINCE INTRODUCTION IN 1990. I HAVE TO SAY FORD HAS COME A LONG WAY WITH THIS PRESENT MODEL. ITS QUIET, SMOOTH AND POWERFUL. THE EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR IS WELL FIT, AND HAS A RICH UPSCALE LOOK TO IT. BEFORE PURCHASING MY EXPLORER I LOOKED AT THE CHEVY TRAILBLAZER, AND WAS NOT IMPRESSED, GLAD I BOUGHT THE EXPLORER

surprise, surprise
By joskat on 09/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ford could have called this a different SUV and passed. I traded in my 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee which had served me well but i thought it was too small and wanted a little bit bigger. I looked at 4runner and pathfinder and i could'nt decide which one to choose...until i test drove the explorer. Believe me i was never a ford admirer. In fact i never even thought of buying one. But this new explorer changed all that. Ford came up with an SUV that's safe, efficient and fun to drive. Please do some research and find out why this EXplorer should'nt be overlooked.

3500 Miles in a week
By sloan4 on 09/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm not the owner, but drove this company vehicle 3500 miles in a week. Had good ride quality considering 4wd. Glove compartment, storage areas and cup holders were sized and placed well. 4.0 V6 gave peppy performance, although the 5spd auto had to shift often to keep the engine in the power band. Audio and other controls were well placed except for rear-wipers and door handles Base non-power cloth seats were as horrible as anything I have EVER had to sit in. My '81 Chevette seats were better. Padding/support was non- existant.My rear end was sore after 20 miles, and it didn't get better.