2003 Ford Explorer XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2003 Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Sort Reviews by

2003 Explorer 4.6 V-8 XLT prem.pkg 4x4
By ray romero

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

NICE POWER,SOLID FEEL,NICE HANDLING,FAIRLY COMFORTABLE SEATS (1st two rows),average visability,nice for a medium/small size suv.

Favorite Features

V-8 POWER TO WIEGHT,SPORT SOLID FEEL HANDLES EXTREEMELY WELL,GREAT CONTROL IN HEAVY RAIN (OIL SATURATED ROADS).ITS A PLEASURE TO OWN AND DRIVE!!

Suggested Improvements

EXTERIOR FINNISH,NOT UP TO PAR,HOOD FLIMMSY,SEAM WORK FINNISH NEEDS IMPROVEMENT,INTERIOR DOOR HANDLES HARD TO FIND,BOXY LOOK

great car
By carl steinberg

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

great suv, quieter than its competition, better ride, huge improvement on the prior year models

Favorite Features

ind. rear suspension, noise level, comfort

Quite a change
By Duane D

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Although I've only had the vehicle a very short time, it looks like a love affair is in the making. I went from a Mitsubishi Spyder Convertible to the Explorer and love it. I was afraid it would feel too big, but does not. I love the fit and finish in the new fords and the exterior turns heads. The 6 cyl 4.0 seems to pack enough punch and the 5 speed tranny is a dream.

Favorite Features

I love the two piece tail gate design which enables you to reach in without having to reach too high.

Suggested Improvements

Possibly a little more horsepower.

Amazing
By Goose Bumps

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I jumped 8 years in technology when I purchased my new truck and FORD made the 2003 Explorer a dream to own. I've had my Limited edition for 2 months now and it still gives me goose bumps each time I drive it. I had a 1994 Explorer XLT and going to the 2003 I was just amazed at the changes and handling charactistics this new truck had plus, the impressive speed this new V8 can do. I have friends that have ML320's, Honda MDX and Chev Trailblazers and the 2003 Explorer is right up there with them in some cases leading the pack with the new safety features, roominess and the advance tracking system.

Favorite Features

Tight handling and impressive stereo system. impressive V8 powertrain.

Suggested Improvements

Rear seat heaters, Navigation system

My new 2003 Explorer - comments...
By toecutter

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like the design and the included running boards on the sport option package. The 17" wheels look much better, along with the two-tone paint. I bought this mostly for the 3rd row - there was more legroom than I thought, but the floor raises where the spare is located under the truck, so your feet are always on a bump.

Favorite Features

3rd row seating. Keyless entry (the best!)

Suggested Improvements

Plastic interior makes it seem very cheap. Leather feels mostly like vinyl. More airvents are needed. Gas is on passenger side - lousy when pulling in to fill up. Move it back to the driver's side! Seems like some legroom was lost in the 2nd row.

2002 1/2
By Tripodi

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got this ford explorer because i needed the exta room and let me say it does the job. i had a 97 ford explorer sport before, night and day it looks and feels like 2 different manufactures made theses SUVs.

Favorite Features

A must upgrade is the 17in rims they make the apperance so much better. Im 6'2" 220lbs and i fit in the 3rd row seat. WOW. Those ford guys know what there doin made a repeat customer out of me.

Suggested Improvements

More HP out of the 6cy with same or better economy. 270hp would be nice like the other guys, but they dont match in the looks and functionality department. Optional captin chairs for the 2nd row.Power outlet in the rear hatch area. Side air bags standard.

Right Choice
By DRA- 53214

2003 Ford Explorer Limited AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

After narrowing my choice of new a SUV to the Envoy and Explorer, I finally went with the Explorer based on the numerous (+)reports on the and not so good reports on the Envoy. One last drive of both clinched it for the Explorer even though I wasn't thrilled with the styling and trim. I was suprised when I got my new 2003 limited and saw the many up-grades to trim (the dash now has a "rich" looking wood trim, new gauges, etc). After 2 Jeeps I must say the ride is very nice, handling is good.

Favorite Features

Power and handling, handy hidden storage spaces in the rear.

Suggested Improvements

Continue to improve interior accents (tucked leather inserts on door trim, chrome door handles. Better seat controls.

DARLA'S NEW RIDE
By BINNY

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

TRADED IN 2001EXPEDTION.MISS EXTRA ROOM IN 2NDROW SEAT AND WITDH,BUT NOT SLOPY HANDLING OR 3RD SEAT.HANDLING WITH IRS IN EXPORER IS EXCELLENT.V8 POWER IS GREAT,RIDE GOOD HIGH TOW RATING,DID NOT COME WITH ADJUSTABLE PEDALS BIG MISTAKE AT ONLY 100$THEY SHOULD BE STANDARD.IM TALL MY WIFES SHORT.OVERALL LOVE THE SIZE,TURNING RADIUS,BRAKES AND STEERING LOOKS GREAT WITH CUSTOM WHEELS!

Favorite Features

OUR NEW 20INCH HELO CHROME ALLOYS,WOOD DASH KIT,LEATHER SEATS,HANDLING IS FANTASIC WITH IRS.FOLD DOWN THIRD SEAT LOWER OPENING LIFT GATE,RACK&PINION STEERING IS PERCISE

Suggested Improvements

V8 POWER GREAT BUT TO LOUD.AJUSTABLE PEDALS SHOULD BE STANDARD EQUIP.IT SEEMS 5SPEED TRANS REVS TO HIGH, ESPECIALITY AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS

Redesigned Explorer is a winner
By Jk

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I recently purchased a 2002 Explorer XLT and it's a terrific automobile. It's quiet, has smooth aceleration and looks great. I purchased a third seat which is a great advantage for a mid- size SUV. The new Explorer should ensure that Explorer brand continues to do well.

Favorite Features

Third row sear, indepenent rear suspension, quiet and smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Move the door handles to a more convenient location. Bring back the rear seat audio controls on the XLT,

BEST EXPLORER I'VE HAD
By RON G

2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

THIS IS MY 3RD EXPLORER SINCE INTRODUCTION IN 1990. I HAVE TO SAY FORD HAS COME A LONG WAY WITH THIS PRESENT MODEL. ITS QUIET, SMOOTH AND POWERFUL. THE EXTERIOR AND INTERIOR IS WELL FIT, AND HAS A RICH UPSCALE LOOK TO IT. BEFORE PURCHASING MY EXPLORER I LOOKED AT THE CHEVY TRAILBLAZER, AND WAS NOT IMPRESSED, GLAD I BOUGHT THE EXPLORER

Favorite Features

THE TAIL GATE IS GREAT. TOP LIFT GATE EASY TO PUT THINGS IN AND GET THINGS OUT. THE DOORS ARE BIGGER EASIER TO GET IN AND OUT, DON'T NEED A RUNNING BAR.

Suggested Improvements

I REALLY CAN NOT SEE ANY NEW IMPROVEMENTS TO THE VEHICLE. FOR NOW FORD HAS THOUGHT OF EVERYTHING. TIMES WILL CHANGE NEW THINGS WILL BE DESIGNED. VERY HAPPY WITH MY EXPLORER