Used 2003 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Really Disappointed
By PA girl

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1996 EB which I absolutely loved. It had every amenity I needed and none that I didn't. At 160,000 miles and counting I decided to trade it for a 2003. Big disappointment. Granted I went from an EB to an XLT but the interior looks really cheap. The tires are loud and the third row seats are a huge waste of cargo space. Mileage is a joke at nearly $60/week. Mostly though there are huge blind spots that require you to drive well using only your mirrors. I'm already looking to trade it in. Last but not least who thought of moving the gas tank to the passenger side. Obviously someone without children. Big safety issue.

Good looking exterior.

Move the gas tank back to the driver's side. Make seats more comfortable. Provide option to eliminate third row seating.

Great Fun To Drive
By Steven L

2003 Ford Explorer NBX 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this vehicle for 1 year covering 20000miles. This SUV is comfortable to drive and has a great turning circle which makes it easy to get in and out of tight spots. My wife loves the adjustable pedals and the sound system. My wife and I tested 4runner, pathfinder, Envoy and Passport but liked the Explorer best.

Adjustable Pedals, Stereo System, Roof Rack, lights under exterior rear view mirors, lots of storage room in back.

Interior door handles need to be moved closer to front of door, hard to reach. Front seat seems really high, head close to touching roof. Better cup holders needed for rear passengers.

Hugely Improved
By ctowncarguy

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought an XLT 4wd with the V8 and Sport exterior package, replacing my 97 Explorer. The new one is improved in every way. I was leaning toward a new 4Runner until I drove the Ford. Glad I did. The '03 Explorer has a very smooth ride and accelleration. The handling feels solid and tight, and the fit and finish are solid. In my opinion, the quality is now comparable to Toyota and Nissan. It feels larger than my 96 Explorer. I couldn't be happier with it.

1. The suspension. 2. The aluminum V8. (I highly recommend it). 3. The interior and console are nicely laid out with convenient features and a quality feel.

A more intuitive placement of the interior door handles and seat control. MORE DOWNWARD SEAT ADJUSTABILITY; I am 6'3, and I must avoid ordering a sunroof in order to have enough headroom. The problem would be solved by providing downward seat adjustability by another inch or two.

Loving it so far
By cjboot

2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love my new Explorer. I traded in my Toyota Highlander in for it. Prior to owning Highlander I owned a 2002 EB Expedition. I traded for better gas mileage. The biggest mistake, The Highlander was so uncomfortable to drive I had to ditch it with only 3700 miles on it! The Explorer has comfort that cannot compare! I love my FORDS! I will never buy a foreign again! I have never had any problem with FORD SUV's or Super Duty trucks!

COMFORT, 6 in dash CD player, climate control

Would like to see the radio in back seat so kids could listen to headphones and there on CD. Expedition had this. Running boards could be wider.

2003 Explorer comments
By queenm

2003 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Injector (3) failure at 11,000 miles. Dealership, Earnhardt Ford, states problem due to low quality gas and winter additives.

Comfort,ride with room for the entire family and the CD/Cassette combination.

On-star type services.