Used 2003 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Hugely Improved
By ctowncarguy

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought an XLT 4wd with the V8 and Sport exterior package, replacing my 97 Explorer. The new one is improved in every way. I was leaning toward a new 4Runner until I drove the Ford. Glad I did. The '03 Explorer has a very smooth ride and accelleration. The handling feels solid and tight, and the fit and finish are solid. In my opinion, the quality is now comparable to Toyota and Nissan. It feels larger than my 96 Explorer. I couldn't be happier with it.

1. The suspension. 2. The aluminum V8. (I highly recommend it). 3. The interior and console are nicely laid out with convenient features and a quality feel.

A more intuitive placement of the interior door handles and seat control. MORE DOWNWARD SEAT ADJUSTABILITY; I am 6'3, and I must avoid ordering a sunroof in order to have enough headroom. The problem would be solved by providing downward seat adjustability by another inch or two.

Loving it so far
By cjboot

2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love my new Explorer. I traded in my Toyota Highlander in for it. Prior to owning Highlander I owned a 2002 EB Expedition. I traded for better gas mileage. The biggest mistake, The Highlander was so uncomfortable to drive I had to ditch it with only 3700 miles on it! The Explorer has comfort that cannot compare! I love my FORDS! I will never buy a foreign again! I have never had any problem with FORD SUV's or Super Duty trucks!

COMFORT, 6 in dash CD player, climate control

Would like to see the radio in back seat so kids could listen to headphones and there on CD. Expedition had this. Running boards could be wider.

2003 Explorer comments
By queenm

2003 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Injector (3) failure at 11,000 miles. Dealership, Earnhardt Ford, states problem due to low quality gas and winter additives.

Comfort,ride with room for the entire family and the CD/Cassette combination.

On-star type services.

We Love It
By Dave McAfee

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We love the ride and the handling of our 2003 Explorer XLT 4WD. It pulls our boat extremely well, and has great low-end torque at the ramp. The power driver seat is very adjustable, and we like the lumbar support adjustments. The vehicle feels very steady and solid. My wife loves it. The turning radius is hard to believe. If you test drive one, be sure to do a slow 360 with the wheel to the post, you will be shocked!

Turning radius, power seat, dual lumbar, creature comforts.

Only one...tilt steering lever needs upgrading. It is the old clamp and release style.

Mixed Review
By pjl275

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Nice riding SUV, very roomy compared to others in class. Handles very well and love the independent rear suspension. V-8 has good power, with lots of V-8 noise on acceleration. Transmission tends to bang when slowing to a stop when going downhill (tries to upshift). Too many rattles, the doors and entire cargo area seem to rattle. Will take to dealer soon, perhaps hatch is rattling. If it did not rattle so much, I would recommend. Runs on reg gas.

3rd row seat. Rear suspension and ride. Comfortable ride and roominess.

Ford needs to understand that new cars should not rattle. Otherwise, the design is really nicely executed.