2003 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
The perfect SUV for my needs
By danmalibuski on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The only requirements I had when buying this truck was the V-8 and trailer towing package. I specifically did not want the 3rd row seats as it took a samll amount of cargo space and added to the weight of the vehicle. Towing well over 4000# with this vechicle is effortless (I sometimes forget I'm towing). It's ride and handling are superb (ride especially). In mixed/city driving I get around 16 mpg (4.6L V8). Overall I could not be happier with the truck.

Great Experience
By civicadk4 on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very happy to have purchased this truck. I used to tell myself that I's never buy American, and would never buy a Ford. Well as soon as I saw and drove the 2003 Explorer I wanted it. It has a good amount of power, a lot of room and rides like a dream...much better then a 4runner.

get the 4.6l v-8
By tkbnmkkk on 01/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

the 4.0l v-6 with the 3.73 axle and tow pkg is ok, but in elevation it tends to down shift too frequently for my tastes. Fortunately, i was on vacation and usually don't drive in hilly terrain. Still, in hindsight, i would have bought the 4.6l v-8 for the little extra $ and little difference in gas mileage.

Great Vehicle
By on 01/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Fun to drive and lots of room. Gas mileage averages about 16 with the V8 and I am happy with that concidering the power. Handling is improved over the 2000 Explorer I had due to the suspension I am sure. Just an overall improvment in design and conviencience. Took a little while to get use to the controls but are 2nd nature now. Thanks Ford for the best SUV yet! and I drove them all!

Hot
By Chrys on 12/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Great, need I say more?

I love my explorer
By ali on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I got my explorer in May of 2002, I had a 1991 explorer, and the difference was amazing. It rides like a car, it is so smooth on both the highway and trips to the grocery store. I am so happy with it, I never want to get a different car!

2003 Explorer XLT
By 03 Exp XLT on 12/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

With this SUV, Ford is delivering quality, equal safety scores and better reliability than many "status- seekers" like MB and BMW. The much more realistic cost of ownership puts this vehicle on top with me. Great solidity and quiet ride.

FORD
By SCOOTERFX4 on 12/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I HAVE HAD 13 CARS, TRUCKS, SUV IN THE PAST 7 YEARS AND THE EXPLORER IS ONE OF THE NICEST VEHICLES I HAVE EVER OWNED OR DRIVEN

Always Japenese - Pleasantly Surprised
By Swimguy on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Have always owned Japenese vehicles, however full credit to Ford, the Explorer is very competitive. V8 is hard on gas, but that is to be expected. Had the DVD system and sunroof put in and I now enjoy listening to Scooby Doo vs. a screaming 16 month old that hates her car seat. To all the families out their, "the DVD is worth the cost." Have the 17 inch BF Goodrich tires on - tire noise intrudes into the cabin. A purchaser may want to consider less aggressive tires. However despite the noise, the Explorer handles very well on snow and ice and I am sure the tires have something to do with that.

2003 Explorer 4.6 V-8 XLT prem.pkg 4x4
By ray romero on 12/02/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

NICE POWER,SOLID FEEL,NICE HANDLING,FAIRLY COMFORTABLE SEATS (1st two rows),average visability,nice for a medium/small size suv.