Used 2003 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

PLEASE DON'T DO IT
By kararnmi

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just took my Ford to the dealership, it has only cost me about $2500 in problems up until now, the quote for repairs of things like rear differential, transfer case, ect $6238!! They must be out of their minds. So for $38000 new the truck lasted to 135,000 miles. Disgusting. I will NEVER buy a Ford again. I went back to Chevy and maybe just buy a Honda or Toyota next time. My friend just turned in her Camry with 400,000 miles on it and STILL running. Have you ever heard anyone say that will a Ford or Chevy without replacing the motor or trans? No.

roomy in the front

drive it into the river and report it stolen while you have full coverage

Excellent car
By lapennell

2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is the first Ford product I have owned and it has changed my opinion of Ford. I have owned this SUV for about 5 years and have found it to be very reliable. I have done mainly routine maintanence. Of course the hatch plactic/glass is cracked like all other '03s. I have not had any transmission problems. I have replace a couple of wheel bearings. But, I now have 225,000 K on the car. It doesn't burn a drop of oil and goes through any amount of snow. I would highly recommend this make/model/year/engine.

Comfort, heated seats, towing ability, and nothing stops it. Interior still looks like new.

Rear tailgate should be recalled. Engine light often comes on when nothing is wrong. Wiper springs could be stronger.

Beware of Transmission Reliability
By huemeister

2003 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I and my family have been avid and loyal Ford customers for many years until now. Bought the Explorer new. I was alarmed when I went to the web and the government site and saw many customers complaining about Explorer transmission failure. I called Ford Customer Relations and was met with indifference and no help. I asked for a goodwill repair or discount and they flatly refused. A transmission specialist said that Ford built a very bad transmission during that time and it is a surprise that there was no class action against them for a poorly designed transmission. I am not going to say I'll never drive another Ford, but I will shop with their competitors. We now own a Honda CRV.

handles good on the road decent gas mileage~ 18 MPG 3rd row seat is a good option

transmission is a bad design. It si shocking to see the many posts on the internet about this issue. I wish I had checked.

Troubles in KY
By rgross1

2003 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have always been a Ford Fan. I refused to buy any other model for close to 40 years, but that is about to change. I purchased a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT and it has been one problem after the other. I have replaced the rearend, the motor, and now the Transmission has gone out. Before all of this I also had the heater control swith to mess up. This was $800.00 to replace. The gas hand is going out and works only part time. As you can see one headache after another.

My awesome Explorer
By pfeifer29

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is like superman! Unfortunately, we almost had to sell it because one of the timing chain guides broke. But, our friends a mechanic and fixed it so it's good as new. Our's is a mineral grey, and it still sounds as powerful and solid as it did back in 2003. This interior is made of woven material rather than leather, because most fabrics cause me irritation. But it has a killer sterio system and refuses to get stuck in anything. It does not seem like it only gets 99 on the highway, and it's not a gas hog. I recommend one to anyone who needs room for children, or just likes big trucks.