2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Ford is the best
By Robert on 09/07/10 20:26 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

With all those reviews about this truck being crap, I had to write my review, I am the original owner of this truck and has had no problems at all, I put 116,000 miles on it and it runs awesome, the transmission shifts great the engine runs just like the day I got it. Also the 4x4 system works great too. This thing held up to hitting a 300 lb deer and came out with just a few things that needed to be replaced (headlight, grill) nothing major, this thing is like a tank it just won't stop I love this truck and am going to continue to drive it to the day it dies!

Drive/transmission issues
By Greg on 07/30/10 08:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just returned from a trip and the O/D light started flashing. All recommendations from Ford service and independents state that a transmission change is required. Very expensive since happened at 106,000 miles. This is on top of just replacing the rear differential bearings,and wheel bearings that Ford service said were bad. All this after the extended warranty was up. The rear differential fix was done 18 months prior the first time while under warranty. Far too many problems with this drive train.

Best SUV
By Lucky STL on 07/27/10 10:06 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Haven't had it long, but was able to review repair history. Basic maintenance only. Rear plastic cracked, but happens to everyone. Extremely solid ride, just as comfortable. Love the car, although too soon to report any big problems I don't know about yet. Would suggest the car to anyone looking into one as of now. Opening up the sunroof and windows makes for a pleasant ride on a cool day. Paint looks great for it's age, and the interior is totally clean. A best buy!

Long Lasting
By Matt on 07/26/10 07:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Our explorer has lasted about 100,000 miles with only minor things break. One of the hydraulic lifts for the glass lift gate falls out of it's hole and a wood insert on the door fell out. Everything else is still very good.

Transmission Problems
By Dee on 07/14/10 10:49 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle within a 2 years of owning this SUV I have replaced transmission twice. Buyer beware.

Mixed
By Bill on 06/27/10 07:58 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Before 36K ran out Ford fixed trans three times and put in a new one, finally. Replaced total rear end after Differential gears went NG twice. Ford than replaced bearings in their new rear end. Brakes are typical Ford truck and don't last. I have had Fords for 40 years. Mileage is terrible, 15 mpg. Electric sensors are typical made in China junk and have failures galore. This is my last Ford. Too bad, Ford just buys crappy parts from the lowest bidder and the consumer pays the price. I hear their new small cars are decent. Stick with Toyota or if you like Ford explorer stick with the V8 Eddie Bauer It is a better all around quality version of the other explorers but you pay or that.

Great Truck
By Karen on 06/14/10 05:51 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Reading these reviews makes one worry so I had to chime in. At 100K I've only done basic maintenance, put in the new a/c and repaired the drivers window. Brakes at 60K and new tires. Yes, she needs the bearing done now but folks, no vehicle runs without a few replacements. On the positive, best drive around in an SUV, room galore, great 4X4 and the best comfort available. The hood paint peeling was an early issue and Ford replaced with a non aluminum at no cost. This is my second Explorer (1999 and 2003). '99 was the 6 cyl EB edition and I just wanted more power. With gas where it is, I'm looking for a 6 again now. Can't kill that engine, never a tranny issue with either.

Ford lost another customer
By bgdbooboo on 06/06/10 09:52 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this SUV with 60.000 miles on it. Within 1 year the rear differential died, ac compressor, transmission rebuilt, wheel bearings, ball joints, brakes on all 4 corners. Multiple other maint items. All that said the transmission is shot again and the rear is whining and chattering again. I'm a single parent of two. One of which is handicapped. I cannot afford any of these repairs anymore and will never buy another explorer.

Do not buy a 2003 Ford exploder
By Bigjimmy on 04/12/10 10:28 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Since I purchased this car used for $11K Ive spent another $12k in repairs; the transmission needed to be rebuilt; the engine a moth later; both rear bearings went out causing the knuckles to get damaged; I've replaced the A/C compressor THREE TIMES in 3 years; the fuel pump went out ; the wiring is bad; the stereo has CDs in its changer that will never come out again; the check engine light goes on every two weeks or so; the tailgate has a crack where the (Fix Or Repair Daily) emblem is and it gets lousy mileage costing me about $100.00 a week in gas alone just to drive to work. I HATE this car; but thanks to all the money I've spent fixing it, I can't afford to buy something else.

FORD fan for life! :)
By Karen on 03/31/10 17:55 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car [used] five years ago with 22,000+ miles on it. It has served us perfectly well in all of this time until its untimely demise in an auto accident a few days ago. I walked away from the accident with not one scratch. With an impact of more than 45 MPH, it could have been much, much worse. "Built FORD tough..." Yes INDEED! In addition to the car itself, the fact that Ford did not take any of the government stimulus money keeps me faithful to such a sturdy and independent organization. Sure, nobody's perfect, but FORD is perfect for me! I am in the market for a new car and am searching far and wide for another FORD to call my own! :)