Used 2003 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Could be better
By SUV girl

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Ford Eddie Bauer could be a better SUV, Its a boxy truck and just doesnt seem very luxurious, like you would hope for the money and eddie bauer name, light interior is really bad if you have kids, leather seats and light carpeting end up dirty quick, The dealership I worked with and Ford company are great, they both send me little perks and gift certificates to the eddie Bauer stores, but as for the truck I am really not impressed. There is some rear sliding in winter. I also have had problems with the memory seats forgetting the memory, and it feels and sounds like it wants to take off when you braking at a red light on on a decline of a hill.

Favorite Features

Favorites are the radio and 6 disk CD changer are fun to play with. The glass lifting on the hatch is a great feature fr groceries etc.

Suggested Improvements

Just really not an impressive car, could run and have better more luxurious features, I would like to feel like I wasnt driving a boxy plastic interior SUV for the money. The light interior with kids is a BAD combination!

2003 Ford Explorer Report
By terry730a

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased 2003 Ford Explorer XLS new at Courtesy Ford...Got a great deal including $3000 rebate..Driveability, reliability, and ergonomically, it is first rate. It has good acceleration and gas mileage; averaging about 18-19 MPG with 89 Octance..Even tho 87 is recommended.It is a fun car and a hoot to drive..Great value in the field of SUV's--bar none...

Favorite Features

Absence of noise,vibration or harshness. Great driveability: stable and roadworthy in every respect. Greater value or mechanical value cannot be found in this crowded field.

Suggested Improvements

Would like dual exhaust pipes--good for mileage, horsepower, and visual impact.. Real cool.

Great SUV
By Indy Explorer fan

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my wife's first SUV and she loves it. We looked at many others, but for the price, we couldn't beat the Explorer. The Automatic 4WD works seamlessly on ice, and the leather seats are great for long drives. We went without the 3rd row seat, and boy, are we glad we did. Without kids, we would much rather have the storage space. Our only complaint so far is the fuel door location. Drivers side would be nice. Also a handle for closing the tailgate would come in handy...especially for shorter people.

Favorite Features

Auto 4WD, storage space, Moonroof, towing capacity, legroom, sturdy build, compass, outside thermometer, entry lights, automatic headlamps, top of tailgate with low opening

Suggested Improvements

door handle location, fuel tank location, road noise

Perfect Size
By Cardinal

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the Explorer for its 4WD capabilities, but we were surprised how nice it is to drive around town. It is great for driving in town and short errands. We've taken it on the highway a few times, and like it on the highway. It is great in the snow.

Favorite Features

I like the low "lift" to get things through the rear window.

Untitled
By orpha morales

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like the fact that seven people can fit comfortably. I like the overall exterior design. I love the built-in tether strap restaints. The interior could use some work. Easier steering wheel tilting to make getting in and out easier would be nice. Third row could use a little more foot room. The seats are all very deep. I am 5'3" and I find it very difficult to make myself comfortable in the driver's seat. My back hurts whenever I travel long distances. And what happened to storage area!? I can just fit in my groceries.

Favorite Features

The sporty exterior design is very nice. I also like the anti-theft system and the automatic lights. The roomy 2nd row seat is a big plus. I especially like the the safety restraints for my children. I feel they are very safe in this vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The third row area could use some more leg room. More storage area would also be very convinient. The tilt steering column does not adjust enough to allow easy exit and entry.