2003 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Great SUV
By Explorer owner on 02/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Bought in November and it runs great. Ford service is excellent (in my experience). The 4.6L V8 is very powerful, but you can almost see the gas gauge moving. Smooth ride compared to other trucks and SUVs I've driven before...even with the tougher suspension of the off-road pkg. If you can find it, I highly recommend the traction control system. It really comes in handy in wet, icy, or snowy conditions. The interior needs some work...leather seats only on 1st two rows, and appears only to be on the seats, not on door trim. The dashboard computer is great...tells you gas mileage, miles till empty, oil life remaining, and other engine status.

Completely Satisfied
By billux on 02/13/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I wrote an excellent review of this vehicle, but because of Edmund's limit of 700 characters, you won't get half of the valuable info that I wrote about this vehicle!! The 4.6 L V/8 is _. The 4WD system works _. Stability is_ as are the brakes, even while trailering. The 290 watt sound system on the EB version is __! I opted for the 5 passenger version which has __ cargo space. I just wish Ford had offered a __option on the EB as they now do on the new Lincoln Aviator. Maybe some day! I've been following all the strange problems that folks have experienced with the new version Explorers in the Town Hall chats. Let's hear from you on this.

first ford
By kbzon on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV NBX 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

this is my first ford. i was looking to get another chevy but dealer was not helpfull. test drove the chevy trailblazer and the tahoe. for the price the explorer is better. nice quality and fit & finish.

Much Better Than Anticipated
By Zman2003 on 02/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I never thought I would own a Ford until I saw the new explorer. Previous cars were a 98 Range Rover & a 98 Volvo V70. The Explorer ride compares favorably to the Rangie although it doesn't have the luxury interior features. Car looks great and has a very comfortable ride. My wife has an 03 Honda Pilot and I prefer driving the Explorer (hopefully it will compare favorably long term on reliability). I would recommend this car to friends.

Explorer
By briscoe on 02/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Honda owner for 12 years. After researching and driving the new Explorer, I felt very comfortable putting my family in this vehicle.

First SUV
By Keithk on 02/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the 2003 Explorer in December 2002 and it is probably the best car I've ever had. Rides great. Exterior and interior good. Third row seating a definite plus and it's easy to get into. Zero financing was the reason we got it instead of the Escape

2003 Eddie Bauer
By dcd on 01/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I really enjoy the smooth, quiet power of the V8. All the EB features are very nice and worth it IMO. At least try one before getting an XLT. So far, gas mileage has been about 16 mpg city and 19 hwy. Only problem (if you call it that) is a slight rattle in the tailgate when going over large bumps.

This is my third Explorer
By Jon Karger on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is my third Explorer purchased in the last seven years. Although I have only had my 2002 Explorer XLT V8 for six months, it has been trouble free. My last two Explorers have been relatively trouble free. I really enjoy the feel of the road with the new Explorer. It feels stable and comfortable. There is very little road noise. The Trailblazer just couldn't give the same feel, as the suspension felt too sloppy. I would definitely buy another Explorer.

2003 Explorer Limited V8
By Scott T. on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Great vehicle, very comfortable and rides nice.

The perfect SUV for my needs
By danmalibuski on 01/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

The only requirements I had when buying this truck was the V-8 and trailer towing package. I specifically did not want the 3rd row seats as it took a samll amount of cargo space and added to the weight of the vehicle. Towing well over 4000# with this vechicle is effortless (I sometimes forget I'm towing). It's ride and handling are superb (ride especially). In mixed/city driving I get around 16 mpg (4.6L V8). Overall I could not be happier with the truck.