Used 2003 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Completly Satisfied....
By pgkii

2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We've owned several Explorers in the past and have owned just about every model that Ford makes other than a Town Car and Ranger Truck...We love our Eddie Bauer SUV...Other than the gas mileage is not the best(knew that when purchased though:)) I like being able to go in the winter time on the snow and ice and it has a very comfortable ride. I feel very secure with my child in the back seat of this vehicle.

One of my favorite features is the 3rd row seat. When not in use I fold it down and have all kinds of storage for groceries and such. There's not too much to dislike on this vehicle...

Could be better
By SUV girl

2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Ford Eddie Bauer could be a better SUV, Its a boxy truck and just doesnt seem very luxurious, like you would hope for the money and eddie bauer name, light interior is really bad if you have kids, leather seats and light carpeting end up dirty quick, The dealership I worked with and Ford company are great, they both send me little perks and gift certificates to the eddie Bauer stores, but as for the truck I am really not impressed. There is some rear sliding in winter. I also have had problems with the memory seats forgetting the memory, and it feels and sounds like it wants to take off when you braking at a red light on on a decline of a hill.

Favorites are the radio and 6 disk CD changer are fun to play with. The glass lifting on the hatch is a great feature fr groceries etc.

Just really not an impressive car, could run and have better more luxurious features, I would like to feel like I wasnt driving a boxy plastic interior SUV for the money. The light interior with kids is a BAD combination!

2003 Ford Explorer Report
By terry730a

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased 2003 Ford Explorer XLS new at Courtesy Ford...Got a great deal including $3000 rebate..Driveability, reliability, and ergonomically, it is first rate. It has good acceleration and gas mileage; averaging about 18-19 MPG with 89 Octance..Even tho 87 is recommended.It is a fun car and a hoot to drive..Great value in the field of SUV's--bar none...

Absence of noise,vibration or harshness. Great driveability: stable and roadworthy in every respect. Greater value or mechanical value cannot be found in this crowded field.

Would like dual exhaust pipes--good for mileage, horsepower, and visual impact.. Real cool.

Great SUV
By Indy Explorer fan

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my wife's first SUV and she loves it. We looked at many others, but for the price, we couldn't beat the Explorer. The Automatic 4WD works seamlessly on ice, and the leather seats are great for long drives. We went without the 3rd row seat, and boy, are we glad we did. Without kids, we would much rather have the storage space. Our only complaint so far is the fuel door location. Drivers side would be nice. Also a handle for closing the tailgate would come in handy...especially for shorter people.

Auto 4WD, storage space, Moonroof, towing capacity, legroom, sturdy build, compass, outside thermometer, entry lights, automatic headlamps, top of tailgate with low opening

door handle location, fuel tank location, road noise

Perfect Size
By Cardinal

2003 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought the Explorer for its 4WD capabilities, but we were surprised how nice it is to drive around town. It is great for driving in town and short errands. We've taken it on the highway a few times, and like it on the highway. It is great in the snow.

I like the low "lift" to get things through the rear window.