Used 2003 Ford Explorer XLT Sport SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

No more new cars
By Connie

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Considering I've got 127,000 miles and looking back over the last 7 years of ownership I would have to say I've been somewhat pleases with this car. Unfortunately I'm having both front wheel bearing done now plus brakes and I'll be out $1500. The rear end whines horribly and you can't hear anyone talking but I'm not paying for the repair. Others have done it and problem returned. At least my tailgate cracked in warranty and they replaced it 4 times but it cracked again and I'm stuck with it now. I managed to keep a spare but won't bother putting it on. I'll need ball joints soon too. It's only worth $3500 on a trade so I'll hang on but no more new cars for me. Just not worth it.

Love the premium sound system and handles nice. Easy to see out of and comfortable.

Rear tailgate should have been a recall. I think the tailgate is not seated properly but newer Fords have been redesigned. Wonder why? The rear end is horrible and that seems to be the nature of the beast for many owners.

great suv
By explorer

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle with 56k and it now has 62k and so far no problems. The thrid row seat is actually usable and provides more room than a family members 04 tahoe. Great handling and mpg on the hwy and decent city milage. I take very good care of my explorer and I also expect nothing less than great reliablity, I am not rough but not easy on my explorer. As long as you follow the recomended services then the explorer will provide you with a long life.

The black interior which is rare for the 2003 model year. The premium sound system, a usable third row seats, great handling for an suv and a strong engine.

Tailgate cracks on most explorer, has yet to happen to mind because I close the hatch by pressing on the wiper. Also another improvement is the window assembly doesnt seem to be very tough. All in all it is a sold suv.

Fun in the sun with my Xlt sport .
By Debby Romero

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Recently I upgraded to a Ford Explorer Xlt Sport from a 2000 Mustang. I have two highschool teens and the Mustang just wasn't big enough for thier busy life style. Just was never enough room for friends. We live in the Bay area and I can't begin to tell you how much fun we've had in the sporty Explorer.Sunsets are fun you can pop the back open & sit & see everything. It,s alot more comfortable with the leather bucket seats with the warmers riding to Reno too. It's definately a great family choice. It costs more in gas but it dosen't even bother me because it's just such a great fit for the whole family.

The tilt steering wheel. The saat warmers in the winter. The leather bucket seats & the rear window wiper.

Better speakers .

Great for vacation
By Tom Gumkowski

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I have taken three trips with vehicle and think that it is perfect.It has ample room in back for our 12volt Fridg.and the dog.Seats are comfortable we like to drive.

290watt 6CD indash

Robo
By RBacon

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great vehicle.You will not be disappointed in anything about the Explorer. It performs beyond my expectation!