2003 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
No more new cars
By Connie on 03/05/10 08:29 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Considering I've got 127,000 miles and looking back over the last 7 years of ownership I would have to say I've been somewhat pleases with this car. Unfortunately I'm having both front wheel bearing done now plus brakes and I'll be out $1500. The rear end whines horribly and you can't hear anyone talking but I'm not paying for the repair. Others have done it and problem returned. At least my tailgate cracked in warranty and they replaced it 4 times but it cracked again and I'm stuck with it now. I managed to keep a spare but won't bother putting it on. I'll need ball joints soon too. It's only worth $3500 on a trade so I'll hang on but no more new cars for me. Just not worth it.

great suv
By explorer on 12/31/09 14:42 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle with 56k and it now has 62k and so far no problems. The thrid row seat is actually usable and provides more room than a family members 04 tahoe. Great handling and mpg on the hwy and decent city milage. I take very good care of my explorer and I also expect nothing less than great reliablity, I am not rough but not easy on my explorer. As long as you follow the recomended services then the explorer will provide you with a long life.

Fun in the sun with my Xlt sport .
By Debby Romero on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Recently I upgraded to a Ford Explorer Xlt Sport from a 2000 Mustang. I have two highschool teens and the Mustang just wasn't big enough for thier busy life style. Just was never enough room for friends. We live in the Bay area and I can't begin to tell you how much fun we've had in the sporty Explorer.Sunsets are fun you can pop the back open & sit & see everything. It,s alot more comfortable with the leather bucket seats with the warmers riding to Reno too. It's definately a great family choice. It costs more in gas but it dosen't even bother me because it's just such a great fit for the whole family.

Great for vacation
By Tom Gumkowski on 10/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife and I have taken three trips with vehicle and think that it is perfect.It has ample room in back for our 12volt Fridg.and the dog.Seats are comfortable we like to drive.

Robo
By RBacon on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great vehicle.You will not be disappointed in anything about the Explorer. It performs beyond my expectation!

buy american
By krause on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

why buy a copy when you can buy the real thing.

MY SPORT TRAC
By JOE/LEEN on 07/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

NEW OWNER--ENJOYRIDING INIT AND BEING UP HIGH. I LIKE THE OPTION OF HAVING A PICK UP TRUCK AND AN AUTO WHEN EVER I NEED IT

Try it, you'll love it
By funtodrive on 06/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Much better than the the pre-2002 models. Good ride.

Got a great deal
By jkline on 06/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

If you are going to buy one, buy it now. With the rebates and slow sales, you can get a great price. We drove off at 8k under MSRP (about 6k below invoice). If you are going to buy the XLT, definately look into the Sport. We were looking at the NBX, but decided it was too utilitarian.

They're good!!
By dondilio on 03/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I really like the new explorer, its very reliable.