2003 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Original owner
By Jim on 12/29/08 10:40 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I finally choose to buy American with an extended warranty, glad I bought the warranty. The rear end was replaced within one year, tail lights replaced, several of the power windows replaced, ball joints replaced, a/c replaced. All of the repairs have been done under 60000 miles. Not a good testament to quality. I thought that I would save moneyand buy American, the resale value has offset any savings. I will purchase a Japanese vehicle next time.

Cruising Down South
By Roaddog on 09/17/06 05:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a previous Explorer(1995 Limited, 4X4). Was first SUV but ride and lack of power sent me to the 2003. I love the styling, improved ride and torque in this model. To my surprise, drove 20.000 miles in one year. Averages around 21 mpg on highway with A/C blowing and flat out cruising. Never had a problem with acceleration or performance. Recently had rear end clutch pack replaced at 49.000 miles. Made an earlier decision to purchase an extended warranty because I obtained vehicle used. Dealer fixed with no charge to me. This is a documented service issue for vehicle model. Driver's seat a bit firm and could use a little more adjustability.

It's the quality, stupid!
By The Parkers on 09/05/06 05:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Eddie Bauer in September of '03 and have absolutely loved it, except for one thing...the QUALITY! This vehicle has been nothing but pure junk from the minute I drove it off the lot. It came from the factory with a bad moonroof seal. Wind whistled in for months, but I was afraid a trip to the dealer would make it worse. Of course, when water started pouring in at ~38K miles, they wouldn't repair it. Had documented problems with rear end at 32K, 41K, 60K and finally at 71K the rear end failed. Ford and dealer refused to help out even though I had receipts to document the problem. $900 out of pocket for a problem that began in warranty. Been a Ford man all my life, no more!

3 Year Review
By SWilliams on 08/01/06 19:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the Eddie Bauer 2-wheel drive V6 back in May of 03. I have been pleased with the truck so far. I only have two minor complaints. One, on occasion it takes the computer around 50 miles on to compute the fuel remaining in the tank. Second, I have had two window motors go out, not a big deal, but pretty annoying. One problem for people with small kids is that it is next to impossible to put a rear facing car seat in the middle position in the back seat. It's actually more convenient in my Saab. My wife gets fiery red every time she puts in the seat in her Eddie Bauer. She has been pleased with the automobile overall, and would recommend it to anyone like I would.

3 years later
By cjboot on 07/06/06 05:26 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My first review was in 2003, only a couple of months after my new purchase of Explorer. Now 3 years later, I have had several problems with it. The rear end has got something major wrong! It makes a horrible whining and grinding noise. I have had 3 window motors replaced. Radio will go off for no reason. Transmission is not right. I love the comfort and look and all of my "bells and whistles", however, I am now looking to get rid of it because of the rear end troubles. I have heard this will cost me a fortune. This happened at 37,000 miles and ever since the warranty ran out, it has been downhill!

Quality is NOT job 1
By RK in PA on 11/25/05 14:19 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Eddie Bauer 4.6L Explorer new and have been the vehicle's only owner. The engine is powerful. The vehicle is roomy, comfortable and stylish. However, reliability has been horrible. The 4X4 and transmission especially have been consistent problems. Ford has been unresponsive. Ford replaced the 4X4 transfer case to correct a defect, but only after being directed to do so by an arbitration board. The differential failed catastrophically after 45,000 miles, posing a safety hazard and necessitating a >$1000 repair. Ford took no responsibility. For a vehicle that cost $40,000, it has been a major disappointment.

Can't believe I like this truck
By 1st time ford owner on 06/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My first Ford, My first American Car, and My first Truck. Overall I'm very happy with this vehicle, but I find myself looking for excuses to take my wife's car out for a spin. Although I appreciate the versatility and truck- like capabilities of the Explorer I might have been happier in a sport wagon like an A6 Avant, Passat or Subaru Outback. At 38k miles, it's never been back to the dealer. I change the oil myself since noone will put in the recommended 5-20 it calls for. Tires look like they'll last another 15-20k. Don't by the V-6. The V-8 is only slightly more and get's virtually the same mpg and even the V-8 is under- powered.

Great SUV
By Happy Travelers on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We also own a Lexus RX 330. The Eddie Bauer is right there in performance, features and quality. The V-8 is a must. The motor is quite and the ride is very good. No problems to date. The only problem is the message screen. It is much too small and cannot be read in the sunshine. There are data on this screen that needs to be seen.

Loving it so far
By cjboot on 12/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I absolutely love my new Explorer. I traded in my Toyota Highlander in for it. Prior to owning Highlander I owned a 2002 EB Expedition. I traded for better gas mileage. The biggest mistake, The Highlander was so uncomfortable to drive I had to ditch it with only 3700 miles on it! The Explorer has comfort that cannot compare! I love my FORDS! I will never buy a foreign again! I have never had any problem with FORD SUV's or Super Duty trucks!

Very Satisfied....but
By betaman on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The EB feels very comfortable...well built vehicle. The acceleration is surprisingly strong for a V6. The stereo/air control on the steering wheel is a plus. My only two complaints are the electronic driver seat...there is a little play in the chair. It's noticiable when you stop and accelerate. Also, there is a whine noise in the rear when the vehicle's speed is at 55-60mph.