Used 2003 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Original owner
By Jim

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I finally choose to buy American with an extended warranty, glad I bought the warranty. The rear end was replaced within one year, tail lights replaced, several of the power windows replaced, ball joints replaced, a/c replaced. All of the repairs have been done under 60000 miles. Not a good testament to quality. I thought that I would save moneyand buy American, the resale value has offset any savings. I will purchase a Japanese vehicle next time.

Comfort, utility

Quality

Cruising Down South
By Roaddog

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a previous Explorer(1995 Limited, 4X4). Was first SUV but ride and lack of power sent me to the 2003. I love the styling, improved ride and torque in this model. To my surprise, drove 20.000 miles in one year. Averages around 21 mpg on highway with A/C blowing and flat out cruising. Never had a problem with acceleration or performance. Recently had rear end clutch pack replaced at 49.000 miles. Made an earlier decision to purchase an extended warranty because I obtained vehicle used. Dealer fixed with no charge to me. This is a documented service issue for vehicle model. Driver's seat a bit firm and could use a little more adjustability.

Enjoy the 6 disc stereo and the DVD unit. Performance is adequate in traffic and on the highway. V-6 hauls even during mountainous trips. Heated seats are great on cold mornings. A/C will cool you during hot days of summer, rear passengers sometimes say turn it down back here. Memory seat is great.

Make rear floor area above third row of seats, when down, to lay flatter. Items tend to slide around because of tilt. Make seats a little more supple for comfort, especially for long trips.

It's the quality, stupid!
By The Parkers

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our Eddie Bauer in September of '03 and have absolutely loved it, except for one thing...the QUALITY! This vehicle has been nothing but pure junk from the minute I drove it off the lot. It came from the factory with a bad moonroof seal. Wind whistled in for months, but I was afraid a trip to the dealer would make it worse. Of course, when water started pouring in at ~38K miles, they wouldn't repair it. Had documented problems with rear end at 32K, 41K, 60K and finally at 71K the rear end failed. Ford and dealer refused to help out even though I had receipts to document the problem. $900 out of pocket for a problem that began in warranty. Been a Ford man all my life, no more!

Premium sound system and DVD entertainment system are great. Interior design and comfort second to none.

Bill Ford, forget about innovation. It's the quality, stupid! Leaving right now to buy a Honda Pilot.

3 Year Review
By SWilliams

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the Eddie Bauer 2-wheel drive V6 back in May of 03. I have been pleased with the truck so far. I only have two minor complaints. One, on occasion it takes the computer around 50 miles on to compute the fuel remaining in the tank. Second, I have had two window motors go out, not a big deal, but pretty annoying. One problem for people with small kids is that it is next to impossible to put a rear facing car seat in the middle position in the back seat. It's actually more convenient in my Saab. My wife gets fiery red every time she puts in the seat in her Eddie Bauer. She has been pleased with the automobile overall, and would recommend it to anyone like I would.

Looks and ergonomics of cabin. Pick-up, stereo system (the one in my Saab is the worst of all time).

Depreciation, gas mileage (but I didn't expect a hybrid).

3 years later
By cjboot

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My first review was in 2003, only a couple of months after my new purchase of Explorer. Now 3 years later, I have had several problems with it. The rear end has got something major wrong! It makes a horrible whining and grinding noise. I have had 3 window motors replaced. Radio will go off for no reason. Transmission is not right. I love the comfort and look and all of my "bells and whistles", however, I am now looking to get rid of it because of the rear end troubles. I have heard this will cost me a fortune. This happened at 37,000 miles and ever since the warranty ran out, it has been downhill!

Comfort, steering wheel controls, adjustable pedals, rear air controls.

Obvious problems with rear ends and transmissions. Need to solve problem.

• SUV