2003 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Best suv ever
By devildog8821 on 08/22/14 16:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I absolutely love my explorer had it for 2 years and no major problems bought it when it had 75000 miles on it and it now has 115000 miles. One thing I learned is its not the vehicle it's the driver that makes stupid mistakes. Just cause its an suv doesn't mean it's meant for off road use. I also disagree with the gas mileage I have the 4.6 v8 and it gets 17.2 in the city and 24 on the highway absolutely love the fact that when I fill it u p it says 387 miles to empty and it only costs about 65 to fill it up. Absolutely love it!!!

Won't go past 100,000 miles
By johcar on 05/03/14 08:13 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Nice enough vehicle except access to the back seat in the 2 door model is close to zero since the driver's seat only moves forward/back 2". I'll never have a two door SUV again. With only 80,000 miles on it, the timing chain(s) are making noise. Apparently it was a recall issue that previous owners never took care of. It is expected to go out at 100K or so. Repair bill is $3200.00. Ford should honor this recall even though it's ten years old. I feel like I got screwed here, and I was happy with two previous Rangers, -a 98 and 01.

Old Faithful
By tykesmom2007 on 03/04/14 09:25 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2003 Explorer XLT for 11 years now, and have had no problems whatsoever. Although "Old Faithful" is now a "second car" (I bought a 2014 Escape SE for my 100 mile commute to work), it still tows boats, hauls canoes, transports the dogs, and is our favorite vehicle for camping trips. I've never had any trouble with this SUV, and plan to drive it 'til it drops - maybe in another 300,000 miles or so!

2003 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6, Great SUV
By smithhh9156 on 09/23/13 19:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0 v6 2wd with 113k. Love it! We have had 0 problems with it besides the oil temp gauge going out. Has leather that's in nice condition, only tear is on driver side and probably one inch long, but really thin. On the side of the seat... We have 3rd row also.

Do not Buy a Ford Explorer 2003
By 1auto4auser on 02/18/13 15:19 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Previously owned ford explorer earlier year. Did not have any signifcant issues for the most part. This model major transmission problems. Not built to last more than 100,000 mi. heard clicking noise dealer could not find problem. paint on roof and hood is chipping off. Poor paint job Dealer rebuilt front bearings at 30,000mi Transmission now has to be replaced. Transmission, bearings and transfer case poor quality. Ford should recall this vehicle I wish I had read the reviews on this vehicle

Most Reliable vehicle I've ever had!!
By jimmyz26 on 08/10/12 00:33 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned a Nissan, Mitsibushi, and a Pontiac, and have to say Ford is best vehicle I've had yet! I've had far less issues with my Ford Explorer and love driving it. I bought it in 2006 and put 37K miles on it. It currently has about 75K miles and only had routine maintenance on it. My only complaint is the crappy gas mileage 15mpg. The rear panel recently cracked, but you can avoid this. I had sprayed winshield washer fluid on it during a very cold Colorado winter day. The repair is outrageous, close to $700. The handling is excellent and the ride roomy and comfortable. Well built inside and out. Engine has plenty of power and 4WD is nice. I plan on keeping my Ford for a while.

2 time transmission victim
By wjohnstone74 on 07/24/12 11:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I owned this truck for 4 years. In that time it blew two transmissions, all the wheel bearings, two sets of brakes all around, broke a rear spring, cracked rear hatch plastic, seized steering column, two doors that would not close in cold weather, a door that would not lock, a blown coil probably other things too. One of the worst cars I have ever known, reliability wise. I did really enjoy driving it, engine was a fuel pig but really smooth. 4wd worked ok, it was basically full time, but only with rear wheel slippage. I tried to get help from Ford when the second tranny blew, but nope. So to heck with them, I own all Japanese now (Ridgeline and Lexus) and they are nearly flawless

do not buy this vehicle
By hondacbr954rr on 06/19/12 13:00 PM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

safe vehicle but not reliable,have electricle gremlens that come and go,the rear end goes,(clucth pack),replaced twice still no good.not cheap.have only 60000k on it.

PLEASE DON'T DO IT
By kararnmi on 02/04/12 07:28 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just took my Ford to the dealership, it has only cost me about $2500 in problems up until now, the quote for repairs of things like rear differential, transfer case, ect $6238!! They must be out of their minds. So for $38000 new the truck lasted to 135,000 miles. Disgusting. I will NEVER buy a Ford again. I went back to Chevy and maybe just buy a Honda or Toyota next time. My friend just turned in her Camry with 400,000 miles on it and STILL running. Have you ever heard anyone say that will a Ford or Chevy without replacing the motor or trans? No.

Excellent car
By lapennell on 01/12/12 18:15 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is the first Ford product I have owned and it has changed my opinion of Ford. I have owned this SUV for about 5 years and have found it to be very reliable. I have done mainly routine maintanence. Of course the hatch plactic/glass is cracked like all other '03s. I have not had any transmission problems. I have replace a couple of wheel bearings. But, I now have 225,000 K on the car. It doesn't burn a drop of oil and goes through any amount of snow. I would highly recommend this make/model/year/engine.