Used 2003 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Most Helpful|
Do not Buy a Ford Explorer 2003
By 1auto4auser

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Previously owned ford explorer earlier year. Did not have any signifcant issues for the most part. This model major transmission problems. Not built to last more than 100,000 mi. heard clicking noise dealer could not find problem. paint on roof and hood is chipping off. Poor paint job Dealer rebuilt front bearings at 30,000mi Transmission now has to be replaced. Transmission, bearings and transfer case poor quality. Ford should recall this vehicle I wish I had read the reviews on this vehicle

Favorite Features

Engine is relatively reliable starts

Suggested Improvements

Transmission should last longer Bearing going under normal driving conditions. Not even off roading Paint qality on front of hood and roof

Second Owner of a 2003
By lassentrailer

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer from the same dealership that sold it to the original owner, and that owner had followed the service schedule to the letter (as shown in the Carfax report). It had 101,000 miles on it when I bought it in 2013, it's got 118,000 miles now. I don't much like trucks, being a sports car kind of driver, but I really like the Explorer (which btw handles WAY better than you'd expect, due no doubt to the IRS. I have emulated the first owner's habit of maintaining the snot out of it: new brakes/rotors, transmission flush and fill, cooling system the same (differentials and transfer case next). I am quite happy with my Explorer.

Best suv ever
By devildog8821

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I absolutely love my explorer had it for 2 years and no major problems bought it when it had 75000 miles on it and it now has 115000 miles. One thing I learned is its not the vehicle it's the driver that makes stupid mistakes. Just cause its an suv doesn't mean it's meant for off road use. I also disagree with the gas mileage I have the 4.6 v8 and it gets 17.2 in the city and 24 on the highway absolutely love the fact that when I fill it u p it says 387 miles to empty and it only costs about 65 to fill it up. Absolutely love it!!!

Favorite Features

The V8 has the right enough power and torque to haul a most anything and it's absolutely perfect the way it knows when to shift into 4 wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Could do a better job at painting it to last but 11 yrs in an Ohio winter and the only wrong is the paint is peeling on top.

2003 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6, Great SUV
By smithhh9156

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0 v6 2wd with 113k. Love it! We have had 0 problems with it besides the oil temp gauge going out. Has leather that's in nice condition, only tear is on driver side and probably one inch long, but really thin. On the side of the seat... We have 3rd row also.

Favorite Features

We have the power fold down DVD player, 3rd row, for a v6 has plenty of power, very reliable, wouldn't be scared to hop in it right now and got to CA. Btw I'm in NC, pulls trailers with no problems. And I'm 6'2 and I have plenty of room.

Suggested Improvements

The plastics seem to fade and get weatherd. But that's from being outdoors, Only complaint

Old Faithful
By tykesmom2007

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2003 Explorer XLT for 11 years now, and have had no problems whatsoever. Although "Old Faithful" is now a "second car" (I bought a 2014 Escape SE for my 100 mile commute to work), it still tows boats, hauls canoes, transports the dogs, and is our favorite vehicle for camping trips. I've never had any trouble with this SUV, and plan to drive it 'til it drops - maybe in another 300,000 miles or so!

Favorite Features

Great towing power, reasonable gas mileage for its size, good sized cargo area, extremely dependable

Suggested Improvements

I could have cried when I saw the new model Explorers! Nothing like this tried and true truck in my driveway! The new Explorer is a beautiful SUV, no doubt, but it just doesn't give off that "trucklike toughness" that I love in my Old Faithful!