Used 2003 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

I <3 my ford expl. but too many problems now :(
By Norma

2003 Ford Explorer SUV NBX Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

i bought my ford explorer 2003... 9 years ago.... now had 170.000 miles on it!!! never never have any problems until now!!! i rebuilt my transmission on march 2015 and was fine ..i tough that was the end of the problem ..but not.... now in July my car would not accelerate it will turn on beautiful no noise or nothing!! i took it to the mechanic and he told me is not worth fixing my truck!!!!!! i need to change the motor and it will cost a lot of money and probably will break again.. i definitely will recommend Ford explorer!! i almost forgot i did had a accident in 2007 the whole right front was damage but likely the fixed just fine because not problems at all. And in 2012 i almost have another accident in the expressway but thanks to my fast reaction and how good my truck answer to my driving and the brakes responded was absolutely incredible... very reliable car!!!!

Second Owner of a 2003
By lassentrailer

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Explorer from the same dealership that sold it to the original owner, and that owner had followed the service schedule to the letter (as shown in the Carfax report). It had 101,000 miles on it when I bought it in 2013, it's got 118,000 miles now. I don't much like trucks, being a sports car kind of driver, but I really like the Explorer (which btw handles WAY better than you'd expect, due no doubt to the IRS. I have emulated the first owner's habit of maintaining the snot out of it: new brakes/rotors, transmission flush and fill, cooling system the same (differentials and transfer case next). I am quite happy with my Explorer.

Best suv ever
By devildog8821

2003 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer AWD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I absolutely love my explorer had it for 2 years and no major problems bought it when it had 75000 miles on it and it now has 115000 miles. One thing I learned is its not the vehicle it's the driver that makes stupid mistakes. Just cause its an suv doesn't mean it's meant for off road use. I also disagree with the gas mileage I have the 4.6 v8 and it gets 17.2 in the city and 24 on the highway absolutely love the fact that when I fill it u p it says 387 miles to empty and it only costs about 65 to fill it up. Absolutely love it!!!

The V8 has the right enough power and torque to haul a most anything and it's absolutely perfect the way it knows when to shift into 4 wheel drive.

Could do a better job at painting it to last but 11 yrs in an Ohio winter and the only wrong is the paint is peeling on top.

Won't go past 100,000 miles
By johcar

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Nice enough vehicle except access to the back seat in the 2 door model is close to zero since the driver's seat only moves forward/back 2". I'll never have a two door SUV again. With only 80,000 miles on it, the timing chain(s) are making noise. Apparently it was a recall issue that previous owners never took care of. It is expected to go out at 100K or so. Repair bill is $3200.00. Ford should honor this recall even though it's ten years old. I feel like I got screwed here, and I was happy with two previous Rangers, -a 98 and 01.

The ride is very rigid. I'm used to it but it's a bit much. Can't really get to the back seat from the driver side. I have to crawl through the back hatch to lower the back seats. I do like the simple switch to go into 4x4.

Visibility is limited at the top of the windshield with that temp/compass housing then the bulky mirror below that. Add a GPS and looking for places/addresses or sight seeing makes this the wrong vehicle. The shorter wheel base is quite noticeable on the freeway making steering quite touchy. I doubt towing a trailer could be safe.

Old Faithful
By tykesmom2007

2003 Ford Explorer SUV XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2003 Explorer XLT for 11 years now, and have had no problems whatsoever. Although "Old Faithful" is now a "second car" (I bought a 2014 Escape SE for my 100 mile commute to work), it still tows boats, hauls canoes, transports the dogs, and is our favorite vehicle for camping trips. I've never had any trouble with this SUV, and plan to drive it 'til it drops - maybe in another 300,000 miles or so!

Great towing power, reasonable gas mileage for its size, good sized cargo area, extremely dependable

I could have cried when I saw the new model Explorers! Nothing like this tried and true truck in my driveway! The new Explorer is a beautiful SUV, no doubt, but it just doesn't give off that "trucklike toughness" that I love in my Old Faithful!