2003 Ford Explorer 4.6L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

Limited 4dr SUV (4.6L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic)

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Middle of The Road
By Stephanie on 10/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

We bought our Explorer with 7 years and 80k on it. I did my research before buying the truck. I knew there were problems with the transmissions along with a list of other known problems. Our truck seems to have no transmission issues. It shifts very smoothly. Of course, it could have already been replaced. The one problem that we are having is it loses coolant. Every few days I have to add water to it. Have not had it diagnosed, but will be soon. My husband worries that it is going into the engine which will cost some major bucks for an engine rebuild. At this time we are hoping that is not what it is. I love my truck. It rides good, is comfortable, and looks good.

Do not buy a 2003 Ford exploder
By Bigjimmy on 04/12/10 10:28 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Since I purchased this car used for $11K Ive spent another $12k in repairs; the transmission needed to be rebuilt; the engine a moth later; both rear bearings went out causing the knuckles to get damaged; I've replaced the A/C compressor THREE TIMES in 3 years; the fuel pump went out ; the wiring is bad; the stereo has CDs in its changer that will never come out again; the check engine light goes on every two weeks or so; the tailgate has a crack where the (Fix Or Repair Daily) emblem is and it gets lousy mileage costing me about $100.00 a week in gas alone just to drive to work. I HATE this car; but thanks to all the money I've spent fixing it, I can't afford to buy something else.

2003 FORD EXPLORER LIMITED
By gk on 08/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Found that the gas peddle was uncomfortable. I can't explain it but my 2001 Olds and 2001 Jeep never had this uncomfortable feeling. Can't seem to get into a comfortable position even with the power gas/brake and seat positioning??? The ride is great for a vehicle of this type. I required a V-8, classIV hitch and the side air bag curtian which I have. I'm averaging about 18.8 miles per gallon which I feel is good for this size vehicle. I asked the dealer to install daytime running lights to work in conjunction with the automatic headlights. Not done yet!

Ford Centennial Limited Explorer
By Rse628 on 08/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is such a beautiful truck!! The comfort level inside is perfect, heated, memory seats, pedals, woodgrain, self tinting rear view mirror, & of course great 3rd seat!!! It seats 7 very comfortably! Very happy with it's elegant beauty, & effortless speed, (careful in everyway, of course)! So many admirers, & very proud of it! Thanks Ford for a great 100 year gift!!!

Explorer Limited 2003
By Twin on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Loveeeeeee this suv---only thing I don't like is the low gas mileage. Its a great vehicle to drive---we're used to Towncars! From that to the Explorer Limited 2003 is different in comfort but much more fun to drive!! Absolutely love it!

Change is good, mostly.
By Bobadillo on 06/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd explorer since 1998 and I'm very pleased with my limited. The improved ride is less bouncy, dual zone climate control works great and the car is a pleasure to drive. The car is heavy and feels substantial but is very easy to control and makes light work of any task you put it to. I moved an entire house full of furniture (including fridge) in an Explorer and I can't recommend them enough.

2003 V8 Explorer Limited
By Scott Thomas on 03/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This Limited is very comfortable, performs well, rides smooth, and hadles the New England winter supurbly!

2003 Explorer Limited V8
By Scott T. on 01/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Great vehicle, very comfortable and rides nice.

Amazing
By Goose Bumps on 11/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

I jumped 8 years in technology when I purchased my new truck and FORD made the 2003 Explorer a dream to own. I've had my Limited edition for 2 months now and it still gives me goose bumps each time I drive it. I had a 1994 Explorer XLT and going to the 2003 I was just amazed at the changes and handling charactistics this new truck had plus, the impressive speed this new V8 can do. I have friends that have ML320's, Honda MDX and Chev Trailblazers and the 2003 Explorer is right up there with them in some cases leading the pack with the new safety features, roominess and the advance tracking system.

State of the Art SUV
By Pogi on 09/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This one definitely kicks. Mine had a punchy V8 which is very reliable when overtaking or merging lanes. Rides very smooth like a car. A striking appearance especially the front silver grille, combined with the boxy look of the front. At night, the dashboard looks like the control panel of a jetliner - control buttons here and there. The automatic climate control is truly versatile - it does all 4 you including defogging the windows. Steering is very responsive. Overall performance is excellent in all areas and conditions - thanks to its front AND rear independent suspensions.