Used 2003 Ford Explorer Limited Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Middle of The Road
By Stephanie

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

We bought our Explorer with 7 years and 80k on it. I did my research before buying the truck. I knew there were problems with the transmissions along with a list of other known problems. Our truck seems to have no transmission issues. It shifts very smoothly. Of course, it could have already been replaced. The one problem that we are having is it loses coolant. Every few days I have to add water to it. Have not had it diagnosed, but will be soon. My husband worries that it is going into the engine which will cost some major bucks for an engine rebuild. At this time we are hoping that is not what it is. I love my truck. It rides good, is comfortable, and looks good.

ride, comfort, stereo, leather quality, wheels

hatch plastic cracking, GAS MILEAGE! I get about 12 in the city! My husbands Tahoe gets 15, that's ridiculous.

Do not buy a 2003 Ford exploder
By Bigjimmy

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Since I purchased this car used for $11K Ive spent another $12k in repairs; the transmission needed to be rebuilt; the engine a moth later; both rear bearings went out causing the knuckles to get damaged; I've replaced the A/C compressor THREE TIMES in 3 years; the fuel pump went out ; the wiring is bad; the stereo has CDs in its changer that will never come out again; the check engine light goes on every two weeks or so; the tailgate has a crack where the (Fix Or Repair Daily) emblem is and it gets lousy mileage costing me about $100.00 a week in gas alone just to drive to work. I HATE this car; but thanks to all the money I've spent fixing it, I can't afford to buy something else.

I Hate this car but can no longer afford to buy another car thanks to all the repairs. I am Terrified to drive it in traffic. My wife and two children have had to be towed home no less than 4 times!

A long trip off a tall cliff?? About five sticks of TNT and some THERMITE?

2003 FORD EXPLORER LIMITED
By gk

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Found that the gas peddle was uncomfortable. I can't explain it but my 2001 Olds and 2001 Jeep never had this uncomfortable feeling. Can't seem to get into a comfortable position even with the power gas/brake and seat positioning??? The ride is great for a vehicle of this type. I required a V-8, classIV hitch and the side air bag curtian which I have. I'm averaging about 18.8 miles per gallon which I feel is good for this size vehicle. I asked the dealer to install daytime running lights to work in conjunction with the automatic headlights. Not done yet!

Controls on the streeing wheel.

Moon-roof open alarm. Daytime running lights.

Ford Centennial Limited Explorer
By Rse628

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

This is such a beautiful truck!! The comfort level inside is perfect, heated, memory seats, pedals, woodgrain, self tinting rear view mirror, & of course great 3rd seat!!! It seats 7 very comfortably! Very happy with it's elegant beauty, & effortless speed, (careful in everyway, of course)! So many admirers, & very proud of it! Thanks Ford for a great 100 year gift!!!

Heated seats & mirrors, self tinting rearview mirror.All of the controls for air/heat & stereo & all on steering wheel!Memory seats are wonderful too! Not to forget the power moonroof!Dual climate controls!The lit interior/exterior upon entering or locking up.

Love the power, but a little better gas mileage please.

Explorer Limited 2003
By Twin

2003 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 5A)

Loveeeeeee this suv---only thing I don't like is the low gas mileage. Its a great vehicle to drive---we're used to Towncars! From that to the Explorer Limited 2003 is different in comfort but much more fun to drive!! Absolutely love it!

NA