Used 2003 Ford Explorer XLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Old Faithful
By tykesmom2007

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned my 2003 Explorer XLT for 11 years now, and have had no problems whatsoever. Although "Old Faithful" is now a "second car" (I bought a 2014 Escape SE for my 100 mile commute to work), it still tows boats, hauls canoes, transports the dogs, and is our favorite vehicle for camping trips. I've never had any trouble with this SUV, and plan to drive it 'til it drops - maybe in another 300,000 miles or so!

Favorite Features

Great towing power, reasonable gas mileage for its size, good sized cargo area, extremely dependable

Suggested Improvements

I could have cried when I saw the new model Explorers! Nothing like this tried and true truck in my driveway! The new Explorer is a beautiful SUV, no doubt, but it just doesn't give off that "trucklike toughness" that I love in my Old Faithful!

2003 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6, Great SUV
By smithhh9156

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.0 v6 2wd with 113k. Love it! We have had 0 problems with it besides the oil temp gauge going out. Has leather that's in nice condition, only tear is on driver side and probably one inch long, but really thin. On the side of the seat... We have 3rd row also.

Favorite Features

We have the power fold down DVD player, 3rd row, for a v6 has plenty of power, very reliable, wouldn't be scared to hop in it right now and got to CA. Btw I'm in NC, pulls trailers with no problems. And I'm 6'2 and I have plenty of room.

Suggested Improvements

The plastics seem to fade and get weatherd. But that's from being outdoors, Only complaint

PLEASE DON'T DO IT
By kararnmi

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just took my Ford to the dealership, it has only cost me about $2500 in problems up until now, the quote for repairs of things like rear differential, transfer case, ect $6238!! They must be out of their minds. So for $38000 new the truck lasted to 135,000 miles. Disgusting. I will NEVER buy a Ford again. I went back to Chevy and maybe just buy a Honda or Toyota next time. My friend just turned in her Camry with 400,000 miles on it and STILL running. Have you ever heard anyone say that will a Ford or Chevy without replacing the motor or trans? No.

Favorite Features

roomy in the front

Suggested Improvements

drive it into the river and report it stolen while you have full coverage

Not worth the money!
By michelle n

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this vehicle three years ago, with only 30,000 miles. I had to replace the brakes/rotors all around, shortly after purchasing, all four wheel July, and I just found out that I needed all of these items replaced again. This thing had 17" wheels, and I had to replace them every 10 months. The transmission had a whine in it, there was a clicking noise and a really loud roaring sound in the front, drivers side. The cruise control didn't work. It would frequently take spells of not starting. It would grind really fast, like it had been flooded, and I would just have to sit and wait for it to start. It was quite roomy, but it was hard on gas and tires, and very expensive to fix.

Favorite Features

The room, comfortable to ride in and drive. The power seats, windows. I loved that the gas pedal would move up and down, as I am only 5'3".

Suggested Improvements

Improve the transmissions, and what ever makes it wear the tires and wheel bearings out.

Would buy another
By Chesette

2003 Ford Explorer XLT Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Coming up on 100k miles in a few months. No real issues to speak of. Hangs up a little when shifting from drive to park. Has been very reliable (minimal repairs & pretty minor at that). Gets about 16 miles to the gallon in town, about 20 on the highway.

Favorite Features

Love the cargo room & 3rd row seat.