Used 2003 Ford Explorer XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Transmission Fiasco
By idahojoe

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new off the lot and the car would shake violently over 60mph. Ford finally replaced the complete rear drive train due to defects. Guess what, started shaking again about a month later. They replaced it again. Now at 80,000 the transmission that was "replaced" is toast and the radiator cracked.

Suggested Improvements

USA - start making a vehicle that is not disposible after 65000 miles.

Happy but with issues
By Bob White

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

A fine, tight, smooth running vehicle. Unfortunately the rear-end is so weak it was whining at 8000 miles and needing replacement. The transmission started shifting improperly at 25000 miles. I don't believe a vehicle should need a new rear-end and transmission so early. I have a Toyota with 325000 miles and it is running better than my explorer. I love my explorer but very unhappy with the mechanical bills, over $4000 within 175000 miles. Other gripes include new brake pads yearly, electric window that has not worked since new, door ajar light on most of the time, and ABS sensors failing.

Suggested Improvements

better transmission, brakes, and rear- end.

2003 Ford Explorer Report
By terry730a

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased 2003 Ford Explorer XLS new at Courtesy Ford...Got a great deal including $3000 rebate..Driveability, reliability, and ergonomically, it is first rate. It has good acceleration and gas mileage; averaging about 18-19 MPG with 89 Octance..Even tho 87 is recommended.It is a fun car and a hoot to drive..Great value in the field of SUV's--bar none...

Favorite Features

Absence of noise,vibration or harshness. Great driveability: stable and roadworthy in every respect. Greater value or mechanical value cannot be found in this crowded field.

Suggested Improvements

Would like dual exhaust pipes--good for mileage, horsepower, and visual impact.. Real cool.

My Ford Explorer
By sherryg99

I love my Ford!

Favorite Features

My favorite feature would have to be the remote control. Being able to find my SUV with it, unlock the trunk with it and lock it back all with the touch of a button is great! Next best feature is the great gas mileage!

Exactly what I wanted
By Kathi Valentine

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I go to the mountains a lot and I needed a car that would get up the mountain without bogging down. The Ford Explorer went up the mountain with no problems at all. It was smooth and comfortable. Plenty of room for my kids and my 85 pound dog. The third row seating is very nice to have when you have three children a grandchild and a dog. I am very happy I chose the Explorer.

Favorite Features

My favorite features are the third row seating, the back window that flips up, the power it has. The interior is very comfortable. The cd player my kids just love.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas milage