2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Transmission Fiasco
By idahojoe on 02/23/10 13:00 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new off the lot and the car would shake violently over 60mph. Ford finally replaced the complete rear drive train due to defects. Guess what, started shaking again about a month later. They replaced it again. Now at 80,000 the transmission that was "replaced" is toast and the radiator cracked.

Happy but with issues
By Bob White on 11/16/09 18:05 PM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

A fine, tight, smooth running vehicle. Unfortunately the rear-end is so weak it was whining at 8000 miles and needing replacement. The transmission started shifting improperly at 25000 miles. I don't believe a vehicle should need a new rear-end and transmission so early. I have a Toyota with 325000 miles and it is running better than my explorer. I love my explorer but very unhappy with the mechanical bills, over $4000 within 175000 miles. Other gripes include new brake pads yearly, electric window that has not worked since new, door ajar light on most of the time, and ABS sensors failing.

2003 Ford Explorer Report
By terry730a on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased 2003 Ford Explorer XLS new at Courtesy Ford...Got a great deal including $3000 rebate..Driveability, reliability, and ergonomically, it is first rate. It has good acceleration and gas mileage; averaging about 18-19 MPG with 89 Octance..Even tho 87 is recommended.It is a fun car and a hoot to drive..Great value in the field of SUV's--bar none...

My Ford Explorer
By sherryg99 on 11/29/03 00:00 AM (PST)

I love my Ford!

Exactly what I wanted
By Kathi Valentine on 10/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I go to the mountains a lot and I needed a car that would get up the mountain without bogging down. The Ford Explorer went up the mountain with no problems at all. It was smooth and comfortable. Plenty of room for my kids and my 85 pound dog. The third row seating is very nice to have when you have three children a grandchild and a dog. I am very happy I chose the Explorer.

Hey, This Ain't No Chevy!
By ChevyDude on 09/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I must admit, I am a Chevy Man, but my wife really wanted to check a super deal in the paper on a 2003 Ford XLS MSRP $26,985. After a test drive and 3 hours of checking everything out, we got the fire red metallic. No, I don't ahve leather, no 6 cd stereo, no 50 way seats and no major extras, but it is brand new and I got a great lost leader deal at $18,300.

One of the best vehicles we've ever had
By PR_USA_51 on 09/06/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The new Ford Explorer is one of the best vehicles that we have ever bought. The comfort and reliability of this SUV is great!

Improvment
By luckssj on 09/03/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is excellent to handel and easy to maintain.

First Car. Glad I bought it.
By Explorer2003Lover on 08/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My parent's both own Explorers(92 and 93) and I grew up using them and loving the car. When we went to the lots, this was the first vehicle we would hover around. After two weeks of searching, we found a great deal. I love the SUV, like the way it drives and love the significant improvements since the 199x models.

Good
By Susan G. on 08/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Ford Explorer XLS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

It is a nice vehicle. The only problem I see, is they have a humming noise in the rear end, and the A/C makes a whistling noise... These items need improvements..