The Honeymoon ended quickly.
By Sean on
2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)
Bought new in '02. The new car smell, and the dealer gave me a great deal. Loved the remodel from old style (Traded in '00 sport). Then reality hit. First time on vacation entire rear glass door assembly broke from hinges and I caught it luckily. Then had fuel pump assembly and tank relaced. Both under warranty thank god. Then the rear door broke again. Then the rear door cracked below the windshield wiper assembly. The interior plastic grey trim along the top of the door front seat doors along the windows has seriously faded. The black exterior trim between the front and rear doors has also faded. It now has 103K miles after 7 years and I will drive this into the ground.
Favorite Features
Great storage capacity and hauling. Sound system is good. Has a good ride but wife doesn't like sway in heavy winds. 4wd was outstanding in a 27" snow storm.
Suggested Improvements
In 2002, fit and finish must not have been words in Ford's dictionary. Child car seat safety latches. Better paint and trim. I expect an SUV to last after taking 5 years to finally pay it off.