Switched to a Chevy
By Switched to a Chevy on
2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)
This was the 2nd Explorer that I had owned. Traded my 2000 in because I liked the body style of the newer Explorers. Never had any issues with the old one. I absolutely loved the 2002 Explorer, at first! It is a piece of crap. Looks and rides nice but replaced numerous wheel bearings and the transmission was clunking and shifting so hard at around 25 mph that my kids kept asking me what I was doing. CD player stopped ejecting CDs. Driver side window motor needed replaced. Leg room in back for 3rd row seat very cramped. If this vehicle would have held up I would have kept it forever. Got rid of it before we had to replace the transmission. Got a Chevy Tahoe, which I LOVE!
Favorite Features
I like the looks of the vehicle. Comfortable to ride in. Sporty and handles nice.
Suggested Improvements
Transmission needs to be fixed. Ford knows about the issue but won't stand behind it or fix it.
By 7sturbobuick
on 12/10/11 15:36 PM (PST)

I bought my 2002 Eddie Bauer Explorer in Jan. 2003. I worked for Ford at the time, so I got the A plan plus $3000 cash back since it was a 2002. The price tag was still over $31k. I financed it for 6 years at 1.9APR. I figured since it was such a "high" priced vehicle it would be very durable. It has been anything but. At 40k miles the front hubs had to be replaced. Also I had heard that the spark plugs had a tendency to blow out of the head and strip the threads. So I took it to a dealership, for the sake of doing it right, and had the dealership change my plugs at 50k miles. At about 52k miles, the # 6 cylinder spark plug blow out. I took it back to the dealership and they took no responsibility for it. Saying the car was no longer under warranty and them changing the plugs didn't warranty the vehicle. I took it to a shop and the helicoiled it for $90 dollars and over the next 2 years 4 more plugs blew out and have had to be heliocoiled. The worst thing that happened is the rear wheel bearing went out on US 23 and my tire damn near came off. I almost flipped. I was coming from my mother's memorial service and my 3 kids, one only 4 months old, and my wife and an elder friend could have been killed. Because I driving it did other damage, such as to the control arm and it was about $1200 to get it fixed. Then two weeks later the other rear wheel bearing when. My moon roof doesn't work, my rear passengers window, the motor is gone out on it. So all in all I have spend about $5k in repairs. The vehicle has 99.7k miles on it. I have wrote ford and provided them with all the documentation, including documentation from the shop that fixed my Explorer with the number of rear wheel bearings they have replaced on 2002's to try and get some reimbursement and Ford responded with the usual, sorry but your vehicle was no longer under warranty. In the future we suggest you get an extended warranty. I will never, ever buy another Ford product again.