2002 Ford Explorer 4.0L V6 5-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Extreme dissappointment

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 5-speed Automatic)

Extreme dissappointment
By stretch on

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've been a Ford man all of my life; until now. Should have read the reviews before I bought it. What a mechanical piece of crap. Afraid to even drive it, wondering what is going to need repairs next. Door ajar light comes on for no reason, 4X4 is locked in low. Was going down the road at about 25mph in 4 auto when low locked in. Thought I had dropped the motor and tranny on the ground with the violent shifting that occurred.I'm just glad no one was behind me when it happened. Rear axle bearing noise, front wheel bearings bad, broken panel under rear window.It seems my vehicle has all of the problems combined that I've read on this and similar websites.Ford should be ashamed of themselves.

Favorite Features

It sure looks pretty sitting in the driveway.

Suggested Improvements

My Ford has 160k on it. In 7 years time, I don't care what kind of mileage it has, these things should not be breaking this soon.I thought quality was job 1. Well, bend over because all you're going to get is a good quality screwing from Ford.