Biggest Mistake
By Biggest Regret on
2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)
Loved exterior so much compulsive buy. Biggest Mistake I ever made. Friends had been driving Fords for years no problem. mine Blew spark plugs. Dealer wanted 3000 to replace heads. Luckily private mechanic repaired for 800. Only prob, it kept happening. 3 of 8 cylinders blew over a year so in all 2400. Trans problems too. I have to say it never stranded me and I put 147000 on it in 3 yrs. With blown spark plug engine ran and got me to safety.Replaced rear Bearings, and Brakes froze in "applied" position. This warped rotor, melted brake lines, and ruined pads. 700 in repairs. A PLUS though after going offroad and air borne into small river (knee deep in water upon exit)it never tried to flip
Favorite Features
V8 Power was awesome. Interior was very comfortable as I drove it cross country 6 times in one year. Very attractive exterior, hell, thats why I bought. Loved that it not only had sterio control but also climate control on steering wheel.
Suggested Improvements
May engine and trans improvements. Mechanic later told me this was just a bad year for the explorer. If it hadn't been for the year of 5000 in repairs I would have loved to have kept this vehicle for a LONG time.