2002 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Not bad used
By OKCsooner on 12/30/08 07:25 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My main regret was buying it right before gas prices went up, for 2 reasons. 1.) this thing is terrible on gas (15/19). 2.) I paid $10,000 and now a year and a half later can be bought here for $6,000. So far the transmission seems to be fine. I also have the false door ajar light and bells. The wheel bearing started making noise (50-65mph) and at $1,200 I'm not going to fix it. The body is good looking and the seats are very comfortable. I also like the 3rd row seats. Would probably sell for a better gas mileage SUV if I wouldn't lose $4,000. Would consider buying one if in great shape for $5,000. Mine has 113,000 miles so far and I've had it a year and a half.

Not a very good buy
By bigrobrown on 12/10/08 18:30 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Really regret buying this car. It was my first purchase and I was extremely excited about it and didn't think to ask many important questions. To be a V6 it got really bad gas mileage and maintance is insane. Have had it in the shop for serious repairs like two days after the warranty expired. It does look nice in my opinion but that's all this car has. Keep your money and buy something else

Problems with 2002 Explorer
By Wade Troutman on 10/04/08 05:04 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ford let my Explorer out of the factory with some strange problems. High beams stay on-can't fix without replacing steering column (don't use high beams, and if I forget and use them I have to disconnect the battery to turn them off). Replaced noisy wheel bearings at 70K. Power window motor on rear driver's side door out at 30K. Door ajar light on and off since 10K (gave up taking it to dealer after three visits). AC/heater floor vents leak. Transaxle seals replaced at 90K. Rear passenger side turn signal out at 100K. Lights work, but turn signal doesn't work. Clear coat started peeling on the passenger side of the vehicle in 2007. I am tired of the nagging little problems..

Not to my expectations
By mosinoi on 08/12/08 07:27 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2002 Explorer, which I bought in 2001, when the new line first came out. Transmission was bad from the time I took it off the lot, brand new. The dealer could not fix it, and last year 166,000 miles later I put in a new transmission. I also have the "door ajar" light problem, even though the door is closed. The driver's rear wheel bearing broke about three years ago, now the passenger's side broke, too, at 192,000. I guess for the mileage it has it has served me pretty well. But I was expecting to get a lot more from this care for the price I paid ($32,000). I would not buy a Ford car again, that's for sure. I'll go with the German imports.

Too many problems for the price
By julz on 08/01/08 22:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Passenger window motor went out, cd's get jammed in player. One cylinder (think thats what its called) went out at 55,000. Then appeared a long crack in the hatch rear trim (and no it's not the liftgage that was recalled). Then at 70,000 miles I had to get my transmission rebuilt. My mechanic showed me the parts and told me they were crap. Trying to cut corners and save money I guess. Like Ford wasn't making enough off of $32,000. Then at 78,000 it happened again-and by the way I baby this SUV and do all maintenance as needed. Transmission again but this time my mechanic couldn't find the exact problem in the transmission- had to put a new catalytic converter in among some other parts. Geez

Decent Truck
By Dave on 08/01/08 10:37 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this truck used with just over 40k on the odo. Now have over 88k and it hasn't been too bad. Biggest problem is the 4x4 low stopped working. I haven't spent the money to get it fixed because I never use low range 4x4. Considering this was a first year redesign, it hasn't been too bad. The power is great. The third row is a nice feature. There is plenty of storage. I bought an 07 SportTrac because I was so happy with this Explorer. That being said, I think we are going to get a Honda Minivan next year because we need more space and the reliability/resale value/gas mileage is so much better. Overall, the 02 Explorer is a great family vehicle, just needs some minor tweaks.

Nice Vehicle
By Bruce Frier on 07/27/08 08:56 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have enjoyed this vehicle for over three years. It recently has developed electrical problems which include the "Door Ajar" light coming on when no doors are ajar; the anti-theft- alarm going off several times in the day and night for no reason when the car is locked giving us no choice but to leave the car unlocked; power windows randomly not working; and when a brief stretch of loose gravel caused the Control-Trac to go in to 4-Wheel- Drive-High we had trouble getting it to return to two-wheel drive.

No More Explorers For Me
By Brian on 07/26/08 22:42 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was my second Explorer. The first was a sport model and required a new transmission 250 miles beyond the warranty. The second was this 2002 fully loaded Limited V8 4x4 and I purchased the extended warranty. Around 300 miles short of the warranty expiring I had four valve lifters replaced and then a month later I took it in because the water level began to drop for no apparant reason. Cause: a cracked engine block and the whole engine needed to be replaced for $6K if not on warranty. I have driven Fords ever since I first got my license at age 16. My best car ever was a 1970 Mach I Mustang, but I wil never buy another Explorer. In fairness to Ford, my worst car was a Mercedes.

Be Careful Buying 02 Explorer XLS
By FORGET FORD on 07/06/08 10:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle has been nothing but problems for me from day one. I am on the 4th set of hinges for the lift glass, with the first set breaking within a year and being told that I was lucky because it usually breaks the glass. Rear trim piece cracked do to manufacturing flaw and will not be fixed unless I pay. Transmission (XLS) has had problems due to flaw in design and had to have serviced. Luckily, caught problem before I had to replace transmission.

Do not buy
By mbistoocool on 06/23/08 07:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Too many problems to recommend purchasing, trans, plug wires every year, oil pressure regulator, wheel bearings, timing chain tensioner, back hatch that cracked so many times don't bother getting fixed anymore, paint chipping on roof, many more. Very nice truck to drive and still love the look of it after 6 years, interior has held up very well. Too bad reliability is so poor. When it's not in the shop it is a great truck.