Used 2002 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews - 374 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

didnt even get 70,000 miles
By Ed C.

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Ford puts out another horrible product. This is my secnd ford explorer, my mistake, first one 1998 engine failed 70,000. Culdnt afford repair so took advantage of a special offer and purchased a brand new 2002 one. Well after paying it off and enjoying only one car payment in this economy, after only 67,551 miles this engine died. I will never purchase Ford product again. Reliability terrible Ford service terrible, ford customer service center.. terrible.

Nothing.

start over with a new name

02 explorer xlt
By DLW

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have had this explorer for ten years. We have had know issues what so ever. We have taken our explorer on multiple long trips. We have got as much as 21 mpg. A little uncomfortable but over all feels like you are driving a car.

dependability

Better trim. Trim tends to fade

Brake Downs
By Dan

2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this suv with 36000 on it. I have replaced all four wheel bearings at a cost of around $450. a piece. That started at 46000. The four wheel drive modual went out at 87000, cost 490. It just turned 90000 and guess what? The transmission went out, cost 3,550. I have driven Fords for over 35 years and this is the worst luck I have ever had and of course Ford won't help, I ask the dealer about the tranny at a local dealership and he almost laughed. Not sure but was told the parts are made in Mexico! Go figure! Oh the heated seats also quit last year. Guess I don't need a seat warmer anyway, and I forgot the lift gate shocks, I replaced all four of them.

No comment

Stand behind your product.

I love this car.
By gina

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Explorer and I would buy a third one. This car has been amazing with very little work needed.

The third row seating.

The crack in the back by the hatch window. It has happened in a lot of Explorers and they won't fix it for me.

Love it
By Alan

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck with 100 miles back in 2002 i have had 2 problems at around 112,000 miles the tranny went in 2008 then a few thousand miles later the alternator went besides that well maintained and runs great have about 128,000 and still trucking love my ford.

Does awesome in snow looks good

better gas mileage stronger engine more horsepower