2002 Ford Explorer XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2002 Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Sort Reviews by

Never again
By Bri

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first and last Ford purchase. I went with a newer and more expensive car hoping for better quality for my money, no such luck. I had the car no more than six months when the transmission went, costing me over two grand. Then just last month, not 6 months since the last time the transmission went again! Among many other problems this car has given me this has been the most expensive.

Favorite Features

The way the car looks inside and out, the third row seating is great. My husband especially loves the unlock safty feature, only the drivers side door unlocks with one press of the button and all four unlock with two presses. It drives really well in the snow, when the 4WD decides it wants to work.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission. I would like to be able to change my own transmission fluid and the parts used in it are crap. The mpg is not great and the rear wiper never worked since the day I took it home from the dealership. More I could say but there is not enough room in this little box!

Needs Improvement
By Morgan

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

AC makes rattleing noise, in the garage twice for check engine light. Gas mileage stinks. As soon as 36 mo. warranty was up, the rear grease seal on the rear drive began to leak. Cruise control works sometimes. Ford means fix or repair daily.

Favorite Features

Has good power for a 6 and roomy. Quality upholstery. Two way rear hatch door opener.

Suggested Improvements

More insulation in the rear cargo area to suppress noise.

Not bad used
By OKCsooner

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My main regret was buying it right before gas prices went up, for 2 reasons. 1.) this thing is terrible on gas (15/19). 2.) I paid $10,000 and now a year and a half later can be bought here for $6,000. So far the transmission seems to be fine. I also have the false door ajar light and bells. The wheel bearing started making noise (50-65mph) and at $1,200 I'm not going to fix it. The body is good looking and the seats are very comfortable. I also like the 3rd row seats. Would probably sell for a better gas mileage SUV if I wouldn't lose $4,000. Would consider buying one if in great shape for $5,000. Mine has 113,000 miles so far and I've had it a year and a half.

Favorite Features

The look and comfort and availablility of used parts.

Suggested Improvements

The transmission issues other have worry me. The door ajar light is a pain. Most of all it needs better gas mileage.

Not a very good buy
By bigrobrown

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Really regret buying this car. It was my first purchase and I was extremely excited about it and didn't think to ask many important questions. To be a V6 it got really bad gas mileage and maintance is insane. Have had it in the shop for serious repairs like two days after the warranty expired. It does look nice in my opinion but that's all this car has. Keep your money and buy something else

Favorite Features

Body style

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. Interior design.

Problems with 2002 Explorer
By Wade Troutman

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ford let my Explorer out of the factory with some strange problems. High beams stay on-can't fix without replacing steering column (don't use high beams, and if I forget and use them I have to disconnect the battery to turn them off). Replaced noisy wheel bearings at 70K. Power window motor on rear driver's side door out at 30K. Door ajar light on and off since 10K (gave up taking it to dealer after three visits). AC/heater floor vents leak. Transaxle seals replaced at 90K. Rear passenger side turn signal out at 100K. Lights work, but turn signal doesn't work. Clear coat started peeling on the passenger side of the vehicle in 2007. I am tired of the nagging little problems..

Favorite Features

4.0L V-6 has been trouble-free to 104K, same with transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Upgrade electrical system and components. Upgrade wheel bearings/design. Get rid of the annoying door lock system that requires two clicks of the remote to open all of the doors. Improve the seals on the vent doors in the AC unit so they don't leak.

Not to my expectations
By mosinoi

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a 2002 Explorer, which I bought in 2001, when the new line first came out. Transmission was bad from the time I took it off the lot, brand new. The dealer could not fix it, and last year 166,000 miles later I put in a new transmission. I also have the "door ajar" light problem, even though the door is closed. The driver's rear wheel bearing broke about three years ago, now the passenger's side broke, too, at 192,000. I guess for the mileage it has it has served me pretty well. But I was expecting to get a lot more from this care for the price I paid ($32,000). I would not buy a Ford car again, that's for sure. I'll go with the German imports.

Favorite Features

Roomy, plenty of trunk space, pretty good mileage for an SUV

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, bearings

Too many problems for the price
By julz

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Passenger window motor went out, cd's get jammed in player. One cylinder (think thats what its called) went out at 55,000. Then appeared a long crack in the hatch rear trim (and no it's not the liftgage that was recalled). Then at 70,000 miles I had to get my transmission rebuilt. My mechanic showed me the parts and told me they were crap. Trying to cut corners and save money I guess. Like Ford wasn't making enough off of $32,000. Then at 78,000 it happened again-and by the way I baby this SUV and do all maintenance as needed. Transmission again but this time my mechanic couldn't find the exact problem in the transmission- had to put a new catalytic converter in among some other parts. Geez

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats, stereo sounds nice, looks good.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability! Major tranny problems, etc. I noticed other Explorers around town have the same crack - how obvious is that! Ford designed the trim poorly. And it is an issue as I have to open and close the back hatch and it's gotten wider.

Decent Truck
By Dave

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this truck used with just over 40k on the odo. Now have over 88k and it hasn't been too bad. Biggest problem is the 4x4 low stopped working. I haven't spent the money to get it fixed because I never use low range 4x4. Considering this was a first year redesign, it hasn't been too bad. The power is great. The third row is a nice feature. There is plenty of storage. I bought an 07 SportTrac because I was so happy with this Explorer. That being said, I think we are going to get a Honda Minivan next year because we need more space and the reliability/resale value/gas mileage is so much better. Overall, the 02 Explorer is a great family vehicle, just needs some minor tweaks.

Favorite Features

Truck is very solid and looks are excellent. Turning radius is great. Split rear tailgate is cool. Vast improvement over previous generation Explorers in safety and quality. I have heard horror stories about reliability, but ours hasn't been that bad so far.

Suggested Improvements

Interior and engine could be quieter. Better gas mileage would be nice. Button on the dashboard that unlocks the glass on tailgate. Tailgate needs to be lighter or have a power option. The wife has trouble closing it. Split folding third row and more space behind it when it is up.

Nice Vehicle
By Bruce Frier

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have enjoyed this vehicle for over three years. It recently has developed electrical problems which include the "Door Ajar" light coming on when no doors are ajar; the anti-theft- alarm going off several times in the day and night for no reason when the car is locked giving us no choice but to leave the car unlocked; power windows randomly not working; and when a brief stretch of loose gravel caused the Control-Trac to go in to 4-Wheel- Drive-High we had trouble getting it to return to two-wheel drive.

Favorite Features

Interior looks and exterior looks. Vehicle also has all the toys which are very pleasant.

Suggested Improvements

Change the Control-Trac selector on the dash to have a 2WD position to keep it from going in to 4WD when it is not desired.

No More Explorers For Me
By Brian

2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was my second Explorer. The first was a sport model and required a new transmission 250 miles beyond the warranty. The second was this 2002 fully loaded Limited V8 4x4 and I purchased the extended warranty. Around 300 miles short of the warranty expiring I had four valve lifters replaced and then a month later I took it in because the water level began to drop for no apparant reason. Cause: a cracked engine block and the whole engine needed to be replaced for $6K if not on warranty. I have driven Fords ever since I first got my license at age 16. My best car ever was a 1970 Mach I Mustang, but I wil never buy another Explorer. In fairness to Ford, my worst car was a Mercedes.

Favorite Features

Dash instrumentation is nice, but I too, had to have the CD player replaced once because the CDs were sticking. The old CD box in the center console was easier to use and more reliable then the single feed in dash unit. The cab is roomy for passengers and luggage in the rear.

Suggested Improvements

One should not have a cracked engine block at 75000 miles when all Ford maintenance and oil changes were done on a regular basis at the selling dealer and the front end has never been damaged. My only blemish on this vehicle was one small door ding done by someone else.