Used 2002 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Extremely reliable
By robt

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this car new and have had VERY few problems. Computer went out at 130,000. Bearings could stand to be replaced now (still on original set), I change the oil myself with high grade (purple magic) oil and 10K filter regularly at every 10K miles. Changed differential and coolant for first time last week. I have never serviced the sealed transmission on a mechanics advice. What more can I say. I couldn't kill this thing if i wanted. I would take it to Alaska tomorrow.

Favorite Features

Climate control, storage area, fold down rear seats, styling.

Suggested Improvements

Because the car last so damn long I wish they had made the driver seat a bit more comfortable.

Great Mid-size SUV
By KCAttorney

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this SUV with V6 in summer of 2007 with 95K miles on it. Sold it in November 2009 with 130K miles to a friend's daughter who just turned 16. It still looks great, interior & exterior. Only repairs during that time were 2 rear wheel bearings and the rear AC door actuator. Other people complain about having to repair items like wheel bearings at "only" 90K miles. Come on, be realistic. Once a car gets over 50K miles, it's going to need repairs from time to time. This SUV offers a great overall package. I've had 3 Explorers now and had good luck with all 3. They aren't perfect, but I've had several other SUV's also, and the Explorer is a great truck. That's why I've owned 3.

Favorite Features

Good 4x4 system, good price, lots of luxury amenities, leather held up well, good exterior styling, 7 passenger seating, reliable, comfortable. Sunroof, power pedals, 6 disk in dash CD changer, rear AC, good seat heaters.

Suggested Improvements

Like everyone else says, should get 3 or 4 mpg more based on size.

very good truck
By big_guy

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

very nice to drive not exactly used for normal things but took every thing i put it through got it with 33000 on it and now have 230000 and still going

Favorite Features

every thing

didnt even get 70,000 miles
By Ed C.

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Ford puts out another horrible product. This is my secnd ford explorer, my mistake, first one 1998 engine failed 70,000. Culdnt afford repair so took advantage of a special offer and purchased a brand new 2002 one. Well after paying it off and enjoying only one car payment in this economy, after only 67,551 miles this engine died. I will never purchase Ford product again. Reliability terrible Ford service terrible, ford customer service center.. terrible.

Favorite Features

Nothing.

Suggested Improvements

start over with a new name

02 explorer xlt
By DLW

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have had this explorer for ten years. We have had know issues what so ever. We have taken our explorer on multiple long trips. We have got as much as 21 mpg. A little uncomfortable but over all feels like you are driving a car.

Favorite Features

dependability

Suggested Improvements

Better trim. Trim tends to fade