2002 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Worth Mud
By Ford Explorer on 04/28/09 14:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Don't buy this unless you have money to waste. Every year since I have owned this vehicle I have had to put money into it. All four wheel bearings at about $400 each, now the rear differential is going out. If you have money to throw away buy this Explorer. If not better buy foreign! America needs to catch up or the big 3 will fail in the near future.

REGRET BUYING A FORD PRODUCT
By STEVENS on 04/16/09 20:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well.where do i start. I bought it 2004 and its been down hill ever since. The wheel bearings,replaced rear struts and springs twice, I've spent a $1,000 dollars and the truck still shakes and dies at stop lights. I feel we as consumers need to take issue with FORD and press the issue with recalling these 30,000 dollar piece of junk. So I challenge you all with me and lets pursue a recall for all these mishaps with the FORD EXPLORERS.

Last Ford I will ever buy
By done with ford on 04/10/09 12:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Explore and I should have learned from the first one which lived up to the name “Exploder” (at about 120,000 miles I was dumping anywhere from $500 - $1500.00 per month in to it just to keep it running). My 2002 Explorer appears to be even worse. Just passing 91000 miles of nothing but city street travel I have replaced the internal components of the steering column twice which cost to date $3000.00 and the rear bearing for $600.00. The transmission has slipped since day one and I don’t want to know what that will cost to repair, the rear differential seals are leaking and the front bearing are starting to go. I am getting rid of the vehicle this weekend! It's Doge for me!

Good value for the price
By bcamp55 on 04/10/09 09:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The car has performed well with very little service issues other than the computer going out at 135K ($1,400). Other than tires, one brake change, and oil, I have put no money into this car considering I have almost 150,000 miles on it. I would feel quite confident driving it to Alaska today if I needed to.

Too Bad
By dannyboy on 03/26/09 10:08 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Too bad Ford shot themselves in the foot with this model.. Beautiful ride, but the transmission has a severe flaw in the valve body. It was NOT milled correctly meaning the fluid equals out to not let it shift.. Ford should have redesigned a new trans and recalled all 02,03,04 . What are they thinking selling us a $30,00 dollar defective SUV?

a good buy used
By Mark on 03/09/09 19:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Explorer.Obviously I like them and find them to always be a good buy used.Probably because there are so many of them.This one is a fully loaded XLT including sunroof.As I had to replace a transmission in my 98,I was very careful about regular and preventive maintainence.Didn't do any good,replaced transmission at 103000mi.About $1400 if you dont use a dealer and are a good shopper.Since I bought this unit at a good price,the transmission is an annoyance rather than a deal breaker.

Will Never Buy Again!
By sonybomb on 03/07/09 16:54 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Problems since day 1. Replaced all 4 wheel bearings, door ajar light is on all the time and there is no door open! Peeling clear coat around windows. Now tranny is slipping like crazy, can't wait to get rid of it as soon as I pay it off!

Newby to 4x4s
By Blondy on 01/11/09 12:58 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've only had my '02 Explorer Limited for less than 2 months but I love it! I went from a '90 Firebird to this. It's like going from a jonboat to a cruise ship. I decied I wanted a 4WD cause of the Nebraska winters. My family is predominantly GMC but they all like it a lot. My husband keeps trying to get me to swap him his '94 Jeep Grand Cherokee for mine. No way! I just like driving it. I don't care where. Who knows, maybe I'll encounter some probs but for now I like it a lot!

Never again
By Bri on 01/08/09 13:19 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was my first and last Ford purchase. I went with a newer and more expensive car hoping for better quality for my money, no such luck. I had the car no more than six months when the transmission went, costing me over two grand. Then just last month, not 6 months since the last time the transmission went again! Among many other problems this car has given me this has been the most expensive.

Needs Improvement
By Morgan on 01/06/09 10:07 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

AC makes rattleing noise, in the garage twice for check engine light. Gas mileage stinks. As soon as 36 mo. warranty was up, the rear grease seal on the rear drive began to leak. Cruise control works sometimes. Ford means fix or repair daily.