Used 2002 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

very dependable
By Craig

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

vehicle has 72,000 miles on it and I've only replaced the tires and rear brakes...this SUV has been good to me but, then again, I don't drive like a maniac and change the oil every 4,000 miles.

Favorite Features

sturdiness and exterior appearance

Suggested Improvements

none

Break Downs
By Dan

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

With less than 90,000 miles, I have replaced four wheel bearings, rear coil springs and struts, four wheel drive module, "Transmission" and now the starter. This is the worst ford I have ever owned, and Ford will not stand behind any of my break downs. I have owned fords all my driving life and this is the last one. I have over $6,000.00 in repairs to this vehicle in just under a year.

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your product.

3rd XLT
By Tim

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have had three Explorers since the first in 91, No unusual trouble with any of them. The latest, a 2002 has been with us the longest 103,000 + miles. Just replaced the rear struts, the only other real expense was tires at 75,000 miles. Bought all 3 new and was pleased with every one. Quality is job one - well done!

Favorite Features

Ride, overall space and durability

Suggested Improvements

Mileage should be better with the 4L V6

What a RIP OFF!
By Rachael

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had problems for the past 2 years w/ this vehicle. I have replaced 3 wheel bearings w/ in the past year and now they are loose again. I have the infamous rear panel crack, replaced fuel pump, replaced intake manifold, replaced fuel line, had starter problems, rear passenger door does not lock, door ajar light will not stop (WD40 is a temporary fix). I am afraid to drive it because the check engine light is always on. This truck is high maintenance. Ford Motor company does nothing to help. Basically every month I make a payment I feel like I am being robbed. CHECK OUT ALL REVIEWS BEFORE BUYING THIS SUV.

Favorite Features

Nothing.

Suggested Improvements

I thing they should scrap the whole design and save people a lot of aggravation and money.

the money pit!
By lisa

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I fell in love with the "look" of the explorer xlt, and had always heard that Ford built a good vehicle. Everything started out great. But, around 70,000 miles that all started to change. I have replaced 6 wheel bearings, rebuilt the transmission, changed window switch, the interior lights works only when they want too, heat doesn't work anymore, volume knob is broken, clicking noise coming from dash, 4x4 doesn't work, trim started fading to quick, leather seats don't hold up, rear passenger door won't lock and after all this the transmission is going out again. Don't waset your money on what is now known as the Ford exploder.

Favorite Features

Looks good sitting in my driveway.

Suggested Improvements

Only build quality products or, don't put it out there for consumers to spend there hard earned money on.