Used 2002 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Biggest Mistake
By Biggest Regret on 08/13/09 19:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Loved exterior so much compulsive buy. Biggest Mistake I ever made. Friends had been driving Fords for years no problem. mine Blew spark plugs. Dealer wanted 3000 to replace heads. Luckily private mechanic repaired for 800. Only prob, it kept happening. 3 of 8 cylinders blew over a year so in all 2400. Trans problems too. I have to say it never stranded me and I put 147000 on it in 3 yrs. With blown spark plug engine ran and got me to safety.Replaced rear Bearings, and Brakes froze in "applied" position. This warped rotor, melted brake lines, and ruined pads. 700 in repairs. A PLUS though after going offroad and air borne into small river (knee deep in water upon exit)it never tried to flip

HAVE A CRACK UNDER THE REAR WINDOW???
By Bakemama on 08/13/09 13:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I see so many people posting about getting a crack on the body below the rear window, sometimes under the rear wiper. I had that on my 02 Explorer Limited in 05, but had it fixed asap as it was a recall issue. So if your dealer says they cant fix it... thats a bunch of bull. As for my Limited, I don't have it any longer, and wish I still had it! I have a huge commute and couldn't afford the gas when it went up to $5 a gallon, so traded it in for a sedan. Am now looking to get rid of the sedan and find another Explorer. The limited trim and features were excellent and I converted more GMC/Chevy and import guys that hated Fords with it. Also worth noting, never had any mechanical probs with it

NOT WORTH IT!!!
By crsl67 on 08/11/09 15:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle is nothing but problems! Transmission slips, had rearend replaced once already, car dies while driving. In hot weather car will not start no one can tell me why. Have had electrical problems. This car isn't worth the aggravation.

Wheel bearings, brakes and computers
By Mhammer on 07/31/09 10:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Vehicle gets a surprising 19 mpg on highway. AWD is great in snow, mud and beach sand. Sound system is awesome as well as front/rear AC. Easy entry and great visibility. But Ford really blew it underneath. I have replaced both wheel bearings front (once) rear (twice). Rear struts and springs after both springs broke. Emergency brake pad and cable twice. All four brake calipers twice as they froze up. As for the cars brains, I had to replace a very expensive security system computer module, as well as the courtesy light system computer. All this with only 71,300 miles and only one driver. My old Izuzu Trooper went 163,000 miles until the engine failed. Just brakes and a clutch there.

Breaks My Heart
By Sad Ford owner on 07/30/09 06:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I loved this SUV and still do but after a wheel bearing went out and I almost lost the back wheel at 70 miles and hour (thank god the break kept it on the car). I then had the transmission start acting up, they quoted me quite a chunk to fix it, it has the delayed engagement of gears when you first put it into gear. Also the rear axle case leaks and has for quite some time. I looked up these issues and they are far to common. I hate to say it but since it is so hard to find manual anymore I guess I'm heading to a car... a Honda and it hurts because I have always believed in ford but I can't take a hit like this again so hooray for cash for clunkers.

Design Flaw
By Gary on 07/28/09 03:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

02 Explorer 70K Needs rear springs/struts, replaced front bearings and hubs, needs rear bearings. Has the big old crack down the rear another one of many design flaws. This truck has never towed or hauled a thing

Same problems as everyone else
By Brian Apple on 07/07/09 06:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Well, my problems seem to not be a coincidence compared to others. I've had wheel bearing problems since I got the car and the strip under the rear window has a crack. I've had this car towed once because the wheel bearings failing in the front almost killed me on the interstate. I can't believe it has such an average high rating on this site. The V6 is one of the weakest on the planet. If Cadillac can get 306 hp out of 3.6 liters, why does Ford manage 210 hp from 4? They still use the same crappy V6 and the mileage is pretty terrible too. Oh, and the ride is rough and the open differential is also terrible. If you have one wheel on mud and one on pavement, you're going no where.

ITS Junk
By xpd154 on 07/05/09 13:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

it was great the first year, but i could have bought a new car with of how much i have payed to get things fixed on it. we also have a 1997 Nissan Altima and it is rarely fixed but our ford every 3 moths it in the shop. ITS A LEMON!!! I will never drive a ford again even if it was given to me. right now the rear heat doesn't work and makes a thumping noise, there is a massive computer problem, windshield fluid drips from the celling, the radio or cd player doesn't work ( and i have 6 cds stuck in it) there is a wheel bearing problem and it grinds, AND THAYS JUST AT THIS POINT IN TIME! DONT BUY ONE!!

Worst Car I ever owned
By CT Mom of 2 on 06/23/09 07:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the 2002 Fod Explorer brand new from the dealer. Only 55,000 miles on in. The past year we had to replace the transmission (3k) and all wheel bearings at 400 each. Going broke. Will never buy a Ford again. This is by far the worst car I have ever owned.

waste of money
By john on 06/05/09 10:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Waited until I could afford Exp. 1st rear end replaced(warranty), then not under warranty was window motor, faded window panels and abs sensor. Then within last 6 months cracked rear panel in lift gate and heat/air fan control is stuck on vent. With in last week transmission solenoid pack needs to be replaced as do all 4 wheel bearings. When I contacted Ford they replied "we hope that your future experiences with Ford products will be more positive." Huh?