2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
NOT WORTH IT!!!
By crsl67 on 08/11/09 15:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This vehicle is nothing but problems! Transmission slips, had rearend replaced once already, car dies while driving. In hot weather car will not start no one can tell me why. Have had electrical problems. This car isn't worth the aggravation.

Wheel bearings, brakes and computers
By Mhammer on 07/31/09 10:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Vehicle gets a surprising 19 mpg on highway. AWD is great in snow, mud and beach sand. Sound system is awesome as well as front/rear AC. Easy entry and great visibility. But Ford really blew it underneath. I have replaced both wheel bearings front (once) rear (twice). Rear struts and springs after both springs broke. Emergency brake pad and cable twice. All four brake calipers twice as they froze up. As for the cars brains, I had to replace a very expensive security system computer module, as well as the courtesy light system computer. All this with only 71,300 miles and only one driver. My old Izuzu Trooper went 163,000 miles until the engine failed. Just brakes and a clutch there.

Breaks My Heart
By Sad Ford owner on 07/30/09 06:28 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I loved this SUV and still do but after a wheel bearing went out and I almost lost the back wheel at 70 miles and hour (thank god the break kept it on the car). I then had the transmission start acting up, they quoted me quite a chunk to fix it, it has the delayed engagement of gears when you first put it into gear. Also the rear axle case leaks and has for quite some time. I looked up these issues and they are far to common. I hate to say it but since it is so hard to find manual anymore I guess I'm heading to a car... a Honda and it hurts because I have always believed in ford but I can't take a hit like this again so hooray for cash for clunkers.

Design Flaw
By Gary on 07/28/09 03:57 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

02 Explorer 70K Needs rear springs/struts, replaced front bearings and hubs, needs rear bearings. Has the big old crack down the rear another one of many design flaws. This truck has never towed or hauled a thing

Same problems as everyone else
By Brian Apple on 07/07/09 06:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Well, my problems seem to not be a coincidence compared to others. I've had wheel bearing problems since I got the car and the strip under the rear window has a crack. I've had this car towed once because the wheel bearings failing in the front almost killed me on the interstate. I can't believe it has such an average high rating on this site. The V6 is one of the weakest on the planet. If Cadillac can get 306 hp out of 3.6 liters, why does Ford manage 210 hp from 4? They still use the same crappy V6 and the mileage is pretty terrible too. Oh, and the ride is rough and the open differential is also terrible. If you have one wheel on mud and one on pavement, you're going no where.

ITS Junk
By xpd154 on 07/05/09 13:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

it was great the first year, but i could have bought a new car with of how much i have payed to get things fixed on it. we also have a 1997 Nissan Altima and it is rarely fixed but our ford every 3 moths it in the shop. ITS A LEMON!!! I will never drive a ford again even if it was given to me. right now the rear heat doesn't work and makes a thumping noise, there is a massive computer problem, windshield fluid drips from the celling, the radio or cd player doesn't work ( and i have 6 cds stuck in it) there is a wheel bearing problem and it grinds, AND THAYS JUST AT THIS POINT IN TIME! DONT BUY ONE!!

Worst Car I ever owned
By CT Mom of 2 on 06/23/09 07:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the 2002 Fod Explorer brand new from the dealer. Only 55,000 miles on in. The past year we had to replace the transmission (3k) and all wheel bearings at 400 each. Going broke. Will never buy a Ford again. This is by far the worst car I have ever owned.

waste of money
By john on 06/05/09 10:17 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Waited until I could afford Exp. 1st rear end replaced(warranty), then not under warranty was window motor, faded window panels and abs sensor. Then within last 6 months cracked rear panel in lift gate and heat/air fan control is stuck on vent. With in last week transmission solenoid pack needs to be replaced as do all 4 wheel bearings. When I contacted Ford they replied "we hope that your future experiences with Ford products will be more positive." Huh?

fixed or repaired daily
By rick on 05/21/09 17:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The looks and the 4.6 shifted me to buy this big piece of junk, I owned limos with the 4.6 that got over 300k with no problems, so I brought this xlt, my mechanic hugged me and said we might as well be family now, so many problems with this suv. Omg. Maybe I'll be lucky, nope 111,000 miles tranny acted up, Wayne county Ford pa, said we don't bother rebuilding that tranny, new 1 $4,600, . Installed, rear wheel bearings, broken springs, alternator, rear seal, a/c gets warm then boom overheats twice... Uhaul refuses to let this car be used to tow, my sable can LOL, to all who love there explorers good luck cause your gonna need it, my last Ford

Wished for better
By MIBobG on 05/16/09 15:25 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had owned the previous model Explorer and liked it. Pluses for this model included a nicer ride with less cornering sway, a bit roomier interior. Cargo space is excellent for hauling all kinds of camping gear. Only initial downside was that the car is noisy on the highway. That having been said, the car has been a turkey. Transmission #1 failed at just past the warranty mileage for a $2.5K repair. Now that transmission is failing at the same point - perfect planned obsolescence. By 80K miles I had to replace all four wheel bearing sets, and both rear springs. Had several expensive cases of engine oil leakage which required replacing engine seals. Interior trim falls off. On & on.