Used 2002 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Do Not Purchase
By susanconn

2002 Ford Explorer Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car has been nothing but trouble since we purchased it. The transmission has been rebuilt, wheel bearings replaced, and now the o/d off light is blinking, the service engine light is on and the ABS warning light is on. Apparently the o/d off light blinking means our transmission is not functioning properly again.

very dependable
By Craig

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

vehicle has 72,000 miles on it and I've only replaced the tires and rear brakes...this SUV has been good to me but, then again, I don't drive like a maniac and change the oil every 4,000 miles.

sturdiness and exterior appearance

none

Break Downs
By Dan

2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

With less than 90,000 miles, I have replaced four wheel bearings, rear coil springs and struts, four wheel drive module, "Transmission" and now the starter. This is the worst ford I have ever owned, and Ford will not stand behind any of my break downs. I have owned fords all my driving life and this is the last one. I have over $6,000.00 in repairs to this vehicle in just under a year.

Stand behind your product.

3rd XLT
By Tim

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have had three Explorers since the first in 91, No unusual trouble with any of them. The latest, a 2002 has been with us the longest 103,000 + miles. Just replaced the rear struts, the only other real expense was tires at 75,000 miles. Bought all 3 new and was pleased with every one. Quality is job one - well done!

Ride, overall space and durability

Mileage should be better with the 4L V6

What a RIP OFF!
By Rachael

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had problems for the past 2 years w/ this vehicle. I have replaced 3 wheel bearings w/ in the past year and now they are loose again. I have the infamous rear panel crack, replaced fuel pump, replaced intake manifold, replaced fuel line, had starter problems, rear passenger door does not lock, door ajar light will not stop (WD40 is a temporary fix). I am afraid to drive it because the check engine light is always on. This truck is high maintenance. Ford Motor company does nothing to help. Basically every month I make a payment I feel like I am being robbed. CHECK OUT ALL REVIEWS BEFORE BUYING THIS SUV.

Nothing.

I thing they should scrap the whole design and save people a lot of aggravation and money.

• SUV