2002 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews 5

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Worst vehicle ive ever owned
By MichaelWall on 11/25/09 19:12 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Exploder from my grandparents best friends in 2007. It had 69000 miles on it when i bought it for 7000 dollars. At 79000 miles the 4wd went out, right after that the o/d light would blink the airbag light would stay on and the service engine light came on and wouldn't go off. I serviced the vehicle regularly and and 84000 miles the transmission went out. I paid the dealership 4300 dollars to get a new tranny and now im at just over 89000 miles and its back at the dealership getting the 2nd tranny put in it! I will never buy another ford ever again. I you wanna read more, google "02 ford transmission problems and see for yourselves

Last Ford I will ever buy
By luvencl on 11/17/09 04:16 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven Fords all my life but this 2002 is the worse experience I have ever had. First to go was the rear AC, kept getting a click noise. Had it replaced under warranty, but then it went bad again just after the warranty ran out. Then had stereo also go bad. CD player got stuck, then 2 months later, volume would just start to get loud with no control touching. Master brake cylinder replaced at 42,000, and then the oxygen sensor, door trim @ same time. Then one very cold morning, I go to my car and notice a huge crack in the hatch below glass. I called the police because I thought someone tried to break into my SUV. Found later that others have the same problem. I am done with Ford!

Solid vehicle
By Paul on 11/06/09 16:48 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I been putting plenty of miles on this vehicle and she holds up strong. Am currently pushing 170,000 miles and have not had to put any major cash into maintenance. Would highly recommend this suv to anyone out there looking.

The Honeymoon ended quickly.
By Sean on 11/04/09 03:03 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in '02. The new car smell, and the dealer gave me a great deal. Loved the remodel from old style (Traded in '00 sport). Then reality hit. First time on vacation entire rear glass door assembly broke from hinges and I caught it luckily. Then had fuel pump assembly and tank relaced. Both under warranty thank god. Then the rear door broke again. Then the rear door cracked below the windshield wiper assembly. The interior plastic grey trim along the top of the door front seat doors along the windows has seriously faded. The black exterior trim between the front and rear doors has also faded. It now has 103K miles after 7 years and I will drive this into the ground.

7 years w/few issues
By Tolland Mc Murray on 09/27/09 20:28 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

On the hole, this has been a decent 'family truckster' for seven plus years. Major issues have been the leaking rear differntial and an alternator that quit on the freeway during rush hour. Transmission now starting to slip a bit at 87000 miles. Has been great in the snow and on other lnog-distance trips, good combination of passenger room and stuff hauling ability. I have been very pleased with my Explorer, look forward to having it for many more years.

has been a great SUV!
By MGGDTW on 09/27/09 19:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Can't believe hearing about all the probs people have been having with these! Very happy owner here. Owned since new,112k miles on my 4 door 2WD 4.0 V6 as of now. Rear axle replaced at 30k under warranty. Front suspension components were all replaced finally at 100k. Some AC components were also replaced. No continuous or nagging problems. Took a 6500 mile road trip from Detroit to Death Valley and back without a lick of probs back in 05. 123 degree's at Furnace Creek and AC kicking ice cold. Great for the long haul!

LOVE MY SUV
By LadyC85 on 08/29/09 13:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've only had my car 2 months but I love it I drove it from Missouri to California and back which is a total of 3,700 and had no problems but my brakes needed to be replaced once we got to California it drives just as smooth and quiet as it drove when we bought it.....I guess the only problem I have with it is the six disc CD changer sometimes gets stuck and its hell getting the cd's out

Death Mobile
By Deane on 08/25/09 13:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the worst car I have ever owned it is dangerous, expensive & unreliable. It started with fractured paint (over the whole car. I was told by Licardi Ford, where it was purchased, that I had the car repainted; not true!),the small back hatch exploding in my face, I then went on to replace: bad brakes,dropped transmission, broken front axle, broken rear axle, electrical system twice,the doors periodically go out of alignment & not close properly, and, when it rains, it rains in the car. Theres more but why continue; this is bad enough.

Wheel bearing nightmare
By Paul Becker on 08/17/09 06:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

It's obvious now that Ford has a real problem with the wheel bearings on the Explorer. Today, I am having the 4th wheel bearing replacement on my Explorer. Right rear (once) Left rear (twice) and today, Left front (once). It seems inevitable that the next to go is the Right front. What a complete pain and drain on the wallet with each replacement costing $400. Other issues include body hardware and a way underpowered engine.

love the safety and room but the engine.
By gerri on 08/16/09 08:48 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my ford explorer xlt brand new. I love the safety of it. The comfort is great but the engine yuk. I've replaced the transmission once already. Slowly parts start to go. Fords attitude was your warranty is up nothing we can do!! I would buy it again only if the quality of the engine and trani were better. And use better parts all around!! I love to buy american but lets see the quality and customer service get alot better!