2002 Ford Explorer XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2002 Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Sort Reviews by

Extremely reliable
By robt

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this car new and have had VERY few problems. Computer went out at 130,000. Bearings could stand to be replaced now (still on original set), I change the oil myself with high grade (purple magic) oil and 10K filter regularly at every 10K miles. Changed differential and coolant for first time last week. I have never serviced the sealed transmission on a mechanics advice. What more can I say. I couldn't kill this thing if i wanted. I would take it to Alaska tomorrow.

Favorite Features

Climate control, storage area, fold down rear seats, styling.

Suggested Improvements

Because the car last so damn long I wish they had made the driver seat a bit more comfortable.

Great Mid-size SUV
By KCAttorney

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this SUV with V6 in summer of 2007 with 95K miles on it. Sold it in November 2009 with 130K miles to a friend's daughter who just turned 16. It still looks great, interior & exterior. Only repairs during that time were 2 rear wheel bearings and the rear AC door actuator. Other people complain about having to repair items like wheel bearings at "only" 90K miles. Come on, be realistic. Once a car gets over 50K miles, it's going to need repairs from time to time. This SUV offers a great overall package. I've had 3 Explorers now and had good luck with all 3. They aren't perfect, but I've had several other SUV's also, and the Explorer is a great truck. That's why I've owned 3.

Favorite Features

Good 4x4 system, good price, lots of luxury amenities, leather held up well, good exterior styling, 7 passenger seating, reliable, comfortable. Sunroof, power pedals, 6 disk in dash CD changer, rear AC, good seat heaters.

Suggested Improvements

Like everyone else says, should get 3 or 4 mpg more based on size.

very good truck
By big_guy

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

very nice to drive not exactly used for normal things but took every thing i put it through got it with 33000 on it and now have 230000 and still going

Favorite Features

every thing

didnt even get 70,000 miles
By Ed C.

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Ford puts out another horrible product. This is my secnd ford explorer, my mistake, first one 1998 engine failed 70,000. Culdnt afford repair so took advantage of a special offer and purchased a brand new 2002 one. Well after paying it off and enjoying only one car payment in this economy, after only 67,551 miles this engine died. I will never purchase Ford product again. Reliability terrible Ford service terrible, ford customer service center.. terrible.

Favorite Features

Nothing.

Suggested Improvements

start over with a new name

02 explorer xlt
By DLW

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have had this explorer for ten years. We have had know issues what so ever. We have taken our explorer on multiple long trips. We have got as much as 21 mpg. A little uncomfortable but over all feels like you are driving a car.

Favorite Features

dependability

Suggested Improvements

Better trim. Trim tends to fade

Brake Downs
By Dan

2002 Ford Explorer SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this suv with 36000 on it. I have replaced all four wheel bearings at a cost of around $450. a piece. That started at 46000. The four wheel drive modual went out at 87000, cost 490. It just turned 90000 and guess what? The transmission went out, cost 3,550. I have driven Fords for over 35 years and this is the worst luck I have ever had and of course Ford won't help, I ask the dealer about the tranny at a local dealership and he almost laughed. Not sure but was told the parts are made in Mexico! Go figure! Oh the heated seats also quit last year. Guess I don't need a seat warmer anyway, and I forgot the lift gate shocks, I replaced all four of them.

Favorite Features

No comment

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your product.

I love this car.
By gina

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Explorer and I would buy a third one. This car has been amazing with very little work needed.

Favorite Features

The third row seating.

Suggested Improvements

The crack in the back by the hatch window. It has happened in a lot of Explorers and they won't fix it for me.

Love it
By Alan

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck with 100 miles back in 2002 i have had 2 problems at around 112,000 miles the tranny went in 2008 then a few thousand miles later the alternator went besides that well maintained and runs great have about 128,000 and still trucking love my ford.

Favorite Features

Does awesome in snow looks good

Suggested Improvements

better gas mileage stronger engine more horsepower

Extreme dissappointment
By stretch

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've been a Ford man all of my life; until now. Should have read the reviews before I bought it. What a mechanical piece of crap. Afraid to even drive it, wondering what is going to need repairs next. Door ajar light comes on for no reason, 4X4 is locked in low. Was going down the road at about 25mph in 4 auto when low locked in. Thought I had dropped the motor and tranny on the ground with the violent shifting that occurred.I'm just glad no one was behind me when it happened. Rear axle bearing noise, front wheel bearings bad, broken panel under rear window.It seems my vehicle has all of the problems combined that I've read on this and similar websites.Ford should be ashamed of themselves.

Favorite Features

It sure looks pretty sitting in the driveway.

Suggested Improvements

My Ford has 160k on it. In 7 years time, I don't care what kind of mileage it has, these things should not be breaking this soon.I thought quality was job 1. Well, bend over because all you're going to get is a good quality screwing from Ford.

REALTOR
By bruce

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After 50k Trans 1 replaced, after 90k trans 2 replaced,after 60k trans 1 replaced and after 100k trans 2 replaced. Also after 100k push button 4WD failed to work - altough only used 7 or 8 times. We call it the EXPLODER! rather than Explored. Now driving a $ Runner!

Favorite Features

Not any favorite features. The service department had great guys - almost on a first name basis!

Suggested Improvements

Should have given a LEMON with the SUV!