Used 2002 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Reliable SUV
By Louise

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought it used in 2007 with 112K, few things had to be tuned, one ball joint replaced. Since 2007 only had to change battery and tires. CD changer does not work right, climate control has a mind of its own. Currently got 155k, rides OK. I drove it across the country several times, comfortable, enough room for everything.

Adjustable pedals, seat memory, comfortable interior

Gas mileage, better climate control.

Switched to a Chevy
By Switched to a Chevy

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This was the 2nd Explorer that I had owned. Traded my 2000 in because I liked the body style of the newer Explorers. Never had any issues with the old one. I absolutely loved the 2002 Explorer, at first! It is a piece of crap. Looks and rides nice but replaced numerous wheel bearings and the transmission was clunking and shifting so hard at around 25 mph that my kids kept asking me what I was doing. CD player stopped ejecting CDs. Driver side window motor needed replaced. Leg room in back for 3rd row seat very cramped. If this vehicle would have held up I would have kept it forever. Got rid of it before we had to replace the transmission. Got a Chevy Tahoe, which I LOVE!

I like the looks of the vehicle. Comfortable to ride in. Sporty and handles nice.

Transmission needs to be fixed. Ford knows about the issue but won't stand behind it or fix it.

Only had two problems
By only one problem

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great SUV. love the 4x4. use it all the time. Only had 2 problems. 1) Passenger side external rear wheel bearing went out. $400 fix. 2) Brake pedal position sensor. $200 fix. No problems with tranny. I do pull a 1000 pound utility trailer a few times a month. I spend the time and money to have all maintenance done on schedule. I have about 117,000 miles on my 2002 explorer xlt. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

160,000 & like new
By George

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this truck with high miles & you would never know it had that many miles. Fun to drive, tons of room, reliable & looks good on me. Plastic trim inside & out is faded. Easy fix with a few cans of plastic seal matched color paint. Fine machine.

feel behind the wheel. sits perfectly.

use a better paint on plastics inside & out

Had been pretty good until
By POEO

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Like most Explorers of this vintage, the transmission just went at 96,000 miles. Major slippage from 2nd into 3rd, now looking at a $2000+ repair. This is a very common problem so beware if you are looking at picking up a used one. Ford knows about it, but doesn't care too much. Looking to see if there is a class action lawsuit in the works as it's not a question of 'if' but when this problem will occur in these trucks. Had been a pretty decent car up until this, now crossing my fingers that this isn't the start of major issues to come. Before this I was considering another Explorer in 2012, now probably not as these type of major issues seem to continue to plague American made cars.

Third row seat, command trac awd, decent room.

Use quality components in the major systems, cars these days should last well over 100,000 miles w/o major repairs.