2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
very good truck
By big_guy on 01/26/10 10:29 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

very nice to drive not exactly used for normal things but took every thing i put it through got it with 33000 on it and now have 230000 and still going

didnt even get 70,000 miles
By Ed C. on 01/26/10 07:16 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Ford puts out another horrible product. This is my secnd ford explorer, my mistake, first one 1998 engine failed 70,000. Culdnt afford repair so took advantage of a special offer and purchased a brand new 2002 one. Well after paying it off and enjoying only one car payment in this economy, after only 67,551 miles this engine died. I will never purchase Ford product again. Reliability terrible Ford service terrible, ford customer service center.. terrible.

02 explorer xlt
By DLW on 01/23/10 01:48 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have had this explorer for ten years. We have had know issues what so ever. We have taken our explorer on multiple long trips. We have got as much as 21 mpg. A little uncomfortable but over all feels like you are driving a car.

Brake Downs
By Dan on 01/11/10 09:09 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this suv with 36000 on it. I have replaced all four wheel bearings at a cost of around $450. a piece. That started at 46000. The four wheel drive modual went out at 87000, cost 490. It just turned 90000 and guess what? The transmission went out, cost 3,550. I have driven Fords for over 35 years and this is the worst luck I have ever had and of course Ford won't help, I ask the dealer about the tranny at a local dealership and he almost laughed. Not sure but was told the parts are made in Mexico! Go figure! Oh the heated seats also quit last year. Guess I don't need a seat warmer anyway, and I forgot the lift gate shocks, I replaced all four of them.

I love this car.
By gina on 01/08/10 11:48 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Explorer and I would buy a third one. This car has been amazing with very little work needed.

Love it
By Alan on 01/05/10 18:41 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck with 100 miles back in 2002 i have had 2 problems at around 112,000 miles the tranny went in 2008 then a few thousand miles later the alternator went besides that well maintained and runs great have about 128,000 and still trucking love my ford.

Extreme dissappointment
By stretch on 01/05/10 09:52 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've been a Ford man all of my life; until now. Should have read the reviews before I bought it. What a mechanical piece of crap. Afraid to even drive it, wondering what is going to need repairs next. Door ajar light comes on for no reason, 4X4 is locked in low. Was going down the road at about 25mph in 4 auto when low locked in. Thought I had dropped the motor and tranny on the ground with the violent shifting that occurred.I'm just glad no one was behind me when it happened. Rear axle bearing noise, front wheel bearings bad, broken panel under rear window.It seems my vehicle has all of the problems combined that I've read on this and similar websites.Ford should be ashamed of themselves.

REALTOR
By bruce on 12/27/09 20:47 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After 50k Trans 1 replaced, after 90k trans 2 replaced,after 60k trans 1 replaced and after 100k trans 2 replaced. Also after 100k push button 4WD failed to work - altough only used 7 or 8 times. We call it the EXPLODER! rather than Explored. Now driving a $ Runner!

Worst vehicle ive ever owned
By MichaelWall on 11/25/09 19:12 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this Exploder from my grandparents best friends in 2007. It had 69000 miles on it when i bought it for 7000 dollars. At 79000 miles the 4wd went out, right after that the o/d light would blink the airbag light would stay on and the service engine light came on and wouldn't go off. I serviced the vehicle regularly and and 84000 miles the transmission went out. I paid the dealership 4300 dollars to get a new tranny and now im at just over 89000 miles and its back at the dealership getting the 2nd tranny put in it! I will never buy another ford ever again. I you wanna read more, google "02 ford transmission problems and see for yourselves

Last Ford I will ever buy
By luvencl on 11/17/09 04:16 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven Fords all my life but this 2002 is the worse experience I have ever had. First to go was the rear AC, kept getting a click noise. Had it replaced under warranty, but then it went bad again just after the warranty ran out. Then had stereo also go bad. CD player got stuck, then 2 months later, volume would just start to get loud with no control touching. Master brake cylinder replaced at 42,000, and then the oxygen sensor, door trim @ same time. Then one very cold morning, I go to my car and notice a huge crack in the hatch below glass. I called the police because I thought someone tried to break into my SUV. Found later that others have the same problem. I am done with Ford!