Used 2002 Ford Explorer SUV Consumer Reviews - 374 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer SUV - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Great Family Vehicle
By Rocko

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a very good reliable family vehicle. Goes in snow in Northeast PA without difficulty. The deal beat the competition by thousands. We probably will buy another in a few years.

Third row seat.

Gas mileage is a challenge.

wish me luck!
By eric tangert

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I sold a '94 Explorer with 140,000 trouble free miles so I could get a 2002 model. I like the styling and the smooth shifting 5R55W transmission. I bought this truck used with 49,000 miles on it, so it shows a little wear, but the price was right so I went for it. The 4.0 OHC V6 runs great and everything works and is tight. The rear gears whine a little at speed but I understand this is a common complaint. As I own a transmission repair facility, correcting any drivetrain problems should not be an issue for me. I would recommend an Explorer (used of course, love that low resale value) to anyone who wants a nice truck at a great price.

Leather seats,smooth transmission (though I have worked on quite a few of these, and know they have their share of problems...hey, mine works O.K.). The ride and strong V6. Did I mention the ride?

If there are repetitive quality issues with this, or any other Ford vehicle, then I think it is the duty of Ford to remedy the issue and satisfy their customers. I have driven Ford cars and trucks my whole life, but I will not show blind loyalty to anyone, period!

Disappointed in DC
By JRob

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Rear end noise caused the dealership to replace 2 axles and a drivetrain. Now they tell me my tires are "cupped." After reading other reviews I think this is a more serious epidemic. Plastic exterior on rear hatch cracked with freezing rain. ABS parts failure. Bubbling interior door panel fabric in cold weather. My wife threatens to leave me if I ever buy another Ford.

Exterior and the high ride.

See review.

Love and Hate it
By WHITFOC

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had a '98 and an '02. I have had a number of problems with the '02. The rear seals and wheel bearing have been replaced twice, 10K miles apart. The transmission has been in four times. The filter assembly changed twice and now it is in for a new tranny at 43K. Luckily I paid for an extended warranty. Life span of rotors is horrible, same as '98. Sunroof, front wheel bearings, and driver's seat cover replaced. The truck is great. The reliability is horrible. This will be the last Explorer. Too bad they can't make quality job 1 anymore. First model year, but should not have had this many problems.

Styling, ride and handling.

Better interior quality, better mechanical reliability.

Never another Explorer
By Bill

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Explorer with a bad transmission, the first one was a 1996. When I wanted to have the tranny fluid changed my Ford dealer told me it wasn't a serviceable item. Funny, the owners manual says to change fluid every 30K miles. Also, at 75K miles the back wheel bearing went bad. I also had to have the rear axle seals replaced at 60K miles since I was leaking axle fluid on my garage floor. Brakes wear quickly as well. Too many problems to consider this vehicle dependable and/or economical. Will not buy or recommend another.

Auto 4WD, seating for 7, relatively spacious and comfortable.

Transmission, transmission, transmission. Improve rear drivetrain. Brake rotor longevity. Did I mention the transmission?