2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Satisfied
By simsropp on 04/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Love the 3rd row seats. They have come in handy.

Great family car!
By TomS on 04/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We bought this car a week before our twins arrived. We needed room for 3 young children and our 99 Volvo XC had no good 3rd row option(Volvo only offers a rear-facing 3rd row seat). The EB Explorer we bought is loaded (V8, 4WD, 3rd row seat, side airbags, reverse sensing system, auxilary climate control) and cost about $34K. It handles well, doesn't ride like a truck, has great power, tons of room, and has gotten excellent safety ratings. A comparably equipped Benz M30 would've cost me $44K. The Acura MDX has a tiny 3rd row seat and a 6- month waiting list. If you're outgrowing a wagon or a smaller SUV, I highly recommend the Explorer.

LOVE IT
By PFN on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We love the vehicle far more than we thought we would. It is a joy to drive.

LOVE IT !!!
By JJRC on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just purchased my 5th Ford Explorer, I now am the proud owner of a 2002 Eddie Bauer edition Explorer. The Quality is exactly what I expect from FORD and again I am not dissapointed, The redesign of the vehicle is beautiful and the ride leaves me without words. I have not had to bring any of my vehicles in to Ford for any major reasons and do not expect to see any problems with this one either.

explorer it is
By speed on 04/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is the greatest thing to happen to me. it is great.

Very Happy So Far
By Huskybass on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm nearing 2000 miles and have no real complaints. The vehicle has met my expectations in all major areas.

2002 Explorer Pros/Cons
By Wayne on 04/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer Limited 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ford did a great job on the 2002 Explorer Limited. I made a mistake and ordered it without the running boards. It is difficult for shorter people to get in and out of. The other poor feature is the seats. The lumbar support is wimpy. When I sat in it at the dealership, I believed the lumbar support to be adequate, however after driving it on a long car trip Ford should have increased the amount of lumbar support. Other than these two minor items, it is a great vehicle with no defects of any kind.

Buyers Beware
By xford on 04/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The "Ford Quality is Job One myth". Our special order 02 Explorer arrived (after 2.5 months)with a failed transmission, it would either slip, slam or not shift. Ford had put 32 miles on it but apparently decided "don't fix it until the customer complains". After 3 days it still isn't fixed and the dealer is still trying to close the deal. Nice try Ford, but NO-SALE. After also having to replace an F150 engine last year at under 4000 miles, this 35 year Ford buyer is now enjoying his first ever Japanese vehicle.

Wow
By Ronny B on 04/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I just bought it and can't believe all the negative feedback here. I think it is an excellent car and an excellent value. I love driving it and think that Ford has done an excellent job with the 2002.

It was a good buy
By CMM on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is much nicer than my previous 98' XLT. It's roomier, quieter (though still loud), and the 3rd row seating is great when travelling with a crowd. I have the 6-cylinder engine and the acceleration is fine for how I drive the car. The gas mileage has been less than what I expected (around 15mpg, 18 if I'm driving on the highway). Overall, it is a definite upgrade from the previous version but is still somewhat loud and drives, for lack of a better term, more like a truck compared to other (higher-priced) vehicles in its class that I test drove. If you need space, and want a mini-SUV, then you should definitely test drive this vehicle.