Used 2002 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Very Pleased
By curtk

2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has been very good to me. The only possible drawback is the level of service I received from the dealer. They seem to have trouble getting the few fixes that I have needed right the first time. Luckily, I bought an extended full service contract on the vehicle, which I've probably broken even with for service repairs and oil changes. ($890/3yrs)

Favorite Features

Comfort and power of the V8. Runs like a race car.

Suggested Improvements

Interior door handles are difficult to reach in the back seat. Transmission has been ok so far (42,000 miles) but occasional odd sounds leave me concerned for the future. What can I say? - gas milage on a V8 is not great (12mpg). If you're not trailering, V6 probably makes more sense.

Great Family Vehicle
By Rocko

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a very good reliable family vehicle. Goes in snow in Northeast PA without difficulty. The deal beat the competition by thousands. We probably will buy another in a few years.

Favorite Features

Third row seat.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is a challenge.

wish me luck!
By eric tangert

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I sold a '94 Explorer with 140,000 trouble free miles so I could get a 2002 model. I like the styling and the smooth shifting 5R55W transmission. I bought this truck used with 49,000 miles on it, so it shows a little wear, but the price was right so I went for it. The 4.0 OHC V6 runs great and everything works and is tight. The rear gears whine a little at speed but I understand this is a common complaint. As I own a transmission repair facility, correcting any drivetrain problems should not be an issue for me. I would recommend an Explorer (used of course, love that low resale value) to anyone who wants a nice truck at a great price.

Favorite Features

Leather seats,smooth transmission (though I have worked on quite a few of these, and know they have their share of problems...hey, mine works O.K.). The ride and strong V6. Did I mention the ride?

Suggested Improvements

If there are repetitive quality issues with this, or any other Ford vehicle, then I think it is the duty of Ford to remedy the issue and satisfy their customers. I have driven Ford cars and trucks my whole life, but I will not show blind loyalty to anyone, period!

Disappointed in DC
By JRob

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Rear end noise caused the dealership to replace 2 axles and a drivetrain. Now they tell me my tires are "cupped." After reading other reviews I think this is a more serious epidemic. Plastic exterior on rear hatch cracked with freezing rain. ABS parts failure. Bubbling interior door panel fabric in cold weather. My wife threatens to leave me if I ever buy another Ford.

Favorite Features

Exterior and the high ride.

Suggested Improvements

See review.

Love and Hate it
By WHITFOC

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had a '98 and an '02. I have had a number of problems with the '02. The rear seals and wheel bearing have been replaced twice, 10K miles apart. The transmission has been in four times. The filter assembly changed twice and now it is in for a new tranny at 43K. Luckily I paid for an extended warranty. Life span of rotors is horrible, same as '98. Sunroof, front wheel bearings, and driver's seat cover replaced. The truck is great. The reliability is horrible. This will be the last Explorer. Too bad they can't make quality job 1 anymore. First model year, but should not have had this many problems.

Favorite Features

Styling, ride and handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better interior quality, better mechanical reliability.