Used 2002 Ford Explorer XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer SUV

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Buy a chevy !!!
By nick from nj

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I thought I was the only person with transmission problems. The dealer acts that way !! Has been back 3 times for trans slamming and shuddering, still not fixed !! I am glad I purchased the extended warranty, even with 0 % financing you can not keep up with depreciation so you can trade them in. I will bite the bullet and lose money so I can trade it in before warranty runs out.

Favorite Features

exterior styling

Suggested Improvements

transmission and fit and finish

Poor Performance
By Frank Cuca

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Beware of 2002 Ford Explorers with new rear suspensions. After numerous trips to the dealership, the noise was corrected with replacement parts. Now that the vehicle is three years old, the noise is back, and is not covered by the original warranty. It seems the aluminum housing used in this model, rather than the traditional cast iron, has created the problem due to expansion and contraction with heat.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Rear end.

Used to like Fords
By Give Up on Ford

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had problems with my 2002 XLS since I purchased it. The rear gate would not latch and they had to replace the whole gate. It took All American Ford a week to do that. Front driver side door leaks when driving on highway during rain shower. The transmission constantly slips and thumps in and out between gears at low speed. Noisy cab at speeds in excess of 55 mph. The interior dash lights come on and off for no apparent reasons. Dealership claims there are no problems. I don't like the cheap plastic bumper. It is like a bug magnet. Not very roomy interior for a driver that is 6'4" either. Overall, I had a Ford pickup truck before the EXPLODER and I think that mechanically, Ford missed it!

Favorite Features

Body styling, Rear cargo room and hitch.

Suggested Improvements

Better luggage racks, less plastic on exterior, better transmission and electrical system. Does not seem to be air/water tight. Lots of noise and leakage issues around doors.

Quality is NOT #1
By egarces

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned mine for almost 3yrs and have had many probs. w/it. They tried fixing the a/c five times before they replaced the entire system. Now I have a rattling noise under the hood and it's taken 3 trips to the dealership and it is still not fixed. The seats are horrible in the rear AND front, no comfort what so ever! Storage space is great and good sized SUV. The back window opens up if you don't want to lift the entire rear door, but I have a crack in the plastic that covers the rear window. Some times the rear window requires more force to shut it and it will take 2 or 3 times to close it before it finally closes.

Favorite Features

Lots of storage in the back, its lower to the ground for my pregnant wife!

Suggested Improvements

Make better seats, too much plastic makes a cheap vehicle so use better parts.

Nice truck/SUV, but worried
By mikeiver37

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Really a nice package for the money, but worried about long term ownership. Recently had rear end replaced @ 34,000 (under warranty). Seems these things eat a rear end every 30-40K. Ford dealer acted surprised, but Internet bulletin boards are full of this problem. Also, took 2 full weeks to repair. Managed to get a free rental car after first week, after throwing a fit to Corporate customer service. Guess that is one way to ensure buyers get the extended warranty. Not sure I'd buy another one.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, great options included on base XLS. Roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Not inpressed with overall ride quality. Need to change rear seat bottom angle-a real back breaker for adults. Mechanical integrity needs improvement to avoid a "Pinto" or "Escort" stigma.