2002 Ford Explorer XLS SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2002 Explorer Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Sort Reviews by

Better but not perfect
By cwhitford

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Had a 98 XLT V6 and traded for the 02. Much improved ride and handling. Better stock stereo than 98, but an upgrade should have been offered like in the 04's. Transmission filter assembly had to be repaired. still shifts hard at times, bad smell from cat converter after engine pushed hard. dealer says it is normal. Overall happy with truck.

Favorite Features

ride/handling, third row is easy to operate, looks great!

Suggested Improvements

Leather steering wheel, but is offered in 2002.5 along with dimming rearview mirror and foglights, sunroof does not operate when ignition is off, sunroof switch should light up at night, no gas cap holder, tilt steering/power seat awkward, interior is bland, BAD resale value!

Not happy with Ford
By stacey moran

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am very disappointed with the Ford manufacturers. I recently found out that there is a design flaw in Ford trucks from years 2000, 2001 and 2002. This is a flaw with the "air intake". You could drive through three inches of water and the air intake is placed so low that it will "suck up" the water causing the engine to lock up and have to be replaced. Ford refuses to take responsibility for their design flaw and will NOT do a recall. Yet they leave the insurance companies to cover all expenses for their mistakes in design.

Favorite Features

Comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously, take responsibility for and correct the mistakes made in creating the vehicles.

Excellent Vehicle
By cyprinella

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Would do it all over again. We love this SUV!

Favorite Features

Independent rear suspension. Excellent acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Put lumbar in this model.

a whole lot for the price
By jags4all

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this 2002 Explorer for my wife and we just love it. It has adjustable pedals and the entire is very functional. The v-6 is suprisingly quick and responsive. My wife is 5'1" and has very good visibilty in this truck. We traded in a 2001 4 dr Tahoe and we really do not see much in the power loss and we are saving a ton in gas. Overall, we are very happy with the purchase. In fact, I have ordered a F-250 and can't wait to get it.

Favorite Features

Efficient V-6. Functional interior, comfort and driving visibility

Suggested Improvements

Extra storage

Quality Build
By Hillary Wu

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Consumer Report's review is biased. I had test-drives of all compatible Japanese SUVs, before I bought the Explorer. Highlander is only a Camery pretending to be an SUV. Pathfinder's leg room for the rear seats is too small. Explore costs less but offers better package, more power, more cargo space, and better performance in Explorer. Explorer is comfortable on the road. For more than year, no mechanical problems have ever happened. As for the gas mileage, at least it's no worse than the Japanese SUVs. On the highway, it can reach about 22 miles a gallon, sometimes even with air conditioning on. The average gas mileage is 18.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride, quality build, purshase incentives, and different options for different needds.

Suggested Improvements

None

Poor Steering
By louie

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a 2003 XLS. When parking, an extreme turn of the steering wheel causes it to bind in that position and car has to be mamhandled into space. Testing in empty park lot shows that the stuck steering wheel will remain in that position up to three full circles at low speed before beginning to unbind by itself. Also, power steering appears not to help much in parking. Original dealer said nothing was wrong. J.O.Williams dealership changed rack and pinion, but that did not solve problem. I have driven several other new Explorers at dealership and they all appear to have same problem.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Correct steering problem

making me a believer
By ford is cool

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Fix Or Repair Daily has been the rep. for FORD in my mind. Reliability is yet to be judged since I've only driven this car 600 miles. Apart from that, great car and no problems so far. Like the spartan functionality of the XLS better than the other trims. All the necessary options for cheap compared to other midsize SUV's. Quiet at hwy speeds, good acceleration, good maneuverability especially in tight parking spaces. Like the high ride height. Aggressive styling is a plus. After driving Japanese cars all my life, this car is restoring my faith in American automobiles and is turning me into a Ford fan.

Favorite Features

Looks (black XLS with Sport package), engine is sprightly, huge cargo area can haul all my stuff.

Suggested Improvements

hood and liftglass material feels really flimsy and cheap.

emmision problems
By WORRIED

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I drove for six months with the "new engine smell", I thought, to find out the catalytic converter was bad. Had to wait a week to get a new one. Back to dealership for that only to have service engine soon light come on. Now it has a bad oxygen sensor. Wait again for that to be replaced. Picked it up and now the idle is bad and it is back in the service dept. I don't know if this is a sign of a "lemon" or a bad service department. But my original excitement is starting to wane.

Favorite Features

spacious cabin, great handling and visibility, appearance is good

Suggested Improvements

they could light the sun visor mirrors in the XLS. the only way they had them at the dealership was to pay another $4K for the XLT. They could also keep some parts in stock at the service departments rather than have to keep making repeat trips every time something goes wrong.

Finally Bought
By kelbrit

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

.I drove a Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota 4Runner and the Ford Exployer. I thought the 2002 Ford Expolyer was superior to the others to driving, comfort and style.The standard 2002 Ford Exployer XLS comes with everything I need, (Except Auto Trans) At that time Ford had a $1500 rebate. I thought that was great until I visited a Ford Dealer in another town. They had a $2000 rebate. I went back to my orignal dealer. He met the rebate plus put is a CD player and mats. I paid cost less $2000, plus $190.00 in doc fees. I have 2500 miles on the Exployer.The new suspension on the 2002 is fantastic. Thanks Edmunds

Favorite Features

Favorite Features. Ride, style, comfort, very well built.

Suggested Improvements

Put as standard, Automatic Transmission

Rattles and stalls
By Junk

2002 Ford Explorer SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since I bought this explorer it's been in the shop for repairs 5 times for 3 to 4 days each time. It has rattles in the dash, steering column and rear window. It hesitates when going into trafic. The alternator has been changed along with the left rear view miror.The rear end hums at 50 to 60 mmh. Ford said this is normal, I disagree and plan to sell the thing. JUNK

Favorite Features

keyless entry

Suggested Improvements

new rear end and better trim