2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:
Better but not perfect
By cwhitford on 11/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Had a 98 XLT V6 and traded for the 02. Much improved ride and handling. Better stock stereo than 98, but an upgrade should have been offered like in the 04's. Transmission filter assembly had to be repaired. still shifts hard at times, bad smell from cat converter after engine pushed hard. dealer says it is normal. Overall happy with truck.

Not happy with Ford
By stacey moran on 09/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am very disappointed with the Ford manufacturers. I recently found out that there is a design flaw in Ford trucks from years 2000, 2001 and 2002. This is a flaw with the "air intake". You could drive through three inches of water and the air intake is placed so low that it will "suck up" the water causing the engine to lock up and have to be replaced. Ford refuses to take responsibility for their design flaw and will NOT do a recall. Yet they leave the insurance companies to cover all expenses for their mistakes in design.

Excellent Vehicle
By cyprinella on 07/31/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Would do it all over again. We love this SUV!

a whole lot for the price
By jags4all on 06/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this 2002 Explorer for my wife and we just love it. It has adjustable pedals and the entire is very functional. The v-6 is suprisingly quick and responsive. My wife is 5'1" and has very good visibilty in this truck. We traded in a 2001 4 dr Tahoe and we really do not see much in the power loss and we are saving a ton in gas. Overall, we are very happy with the purchase. In fact, I have ordered a F-250 and can't wait to get it.

Quality Build
By Hillary Wu on 05/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Consumer Report's review is biased. I had test-drives of all compatible Japanese SUVs, before I bought the Explorer. Highlander is only a Camery pretending to be an SUV. Pathfinder's leg room for the rear seats is too small. Explore costs less but offers better package, more power, more cargo space, and better performance in Explorer. Explorer is comfortable on the road. For more than year, no mechanical problems have ever happened. As for the gas mileage, at least it's no worse than the Japanese SUVs. On the highway, it can reach about 22 miles a gallon, sometimes even with air conditioning on. The average gas mileage is 18.

Poor Steering
By louie on 05/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is a 2003 XLS. When parking, an extreme turn of the steering wheel causes it to bind in that position and car has to be mamhandled into space. Testing in empty park lot shows that the stuck steering wheel will remain in that position up to three full circles at low speed before beginning to unbind by itself. Also, power steering appears not to help much in parking. Original dealer said nothing was wrong. J.O.Williams dealership changed rack and pinion, but that did not solve problem. I have driven several other new Explorers at dealership and they all appear to have same problem.

making me a believer
By ford is cool on 07/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Fix Or Repair Daily has been the rep. for FORD in my mind. Reliability is yet to be judged since I've only driven this car 600 miles. Apart from that, great car and no problems so far. Like the spartan functionality of the XLS better than the other trims. All the necessary options for cheap compared to other midsize SUV's. Quiet at hwy speeds, good acceleration, good maneuverability especially in tight parking spaces. Like the high ride height. Aggressive styling is a plus. After driving Japanese cars all my life, this car is restoring my faith in American automobiles and is turning me into a Ford fan.

emmision problems
By WORRIED on 05/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I drove for six months with the "new engine smell", I thought, to find out the catalytic converter was bad. Had to wait a week to get a new one. Back to dealership for that only to have service engine soon light come on. Now it has a bad oxygen sensor. Wait again for that to be replaced. Picked it up and now the idle is bad and it is back in the service dept. I don't know if this is a sign of a "lemon" or a bad service department. But my original excitement is starting to wane.

Finally Bought
By kelbrit on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

.I drove a Nissan Pathfinder, Toyota 4Runner and the Ford Exployer. I thought the 2002 Ford Expolyer was superior to the others to driving, comfort and style.The standard 2002 Ford Exployer XLS comes with everything I need, (Except Auto Trans) At that time Ford had a $1500 rebate. I thought that was great until I visited a Ford Dealer in another town. They had a $2000 rebate. I went back to my orignal dealer. He met the rebate plus put is a CD player and mats. I paid cost less $2000, plus $190.00 in doc fees. I have 2500 miles on the Exployer.The new suspension on the 2002 is fantastic. Thanks Edmunds

Rattles and stalls
By Junk on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Explorer XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Since I bought this explorer it's been in the shop for repairs 5 times for 3 to 4 days each time. It has rattles in the dash, steering column and rear window. It hesitates when going into trafic. The alternator has been changed along with the left rear view miror.The rear end hums at 50 to 60 mmh. Ford said this is normal, I disagree and plan to sell the thing. JUNK