Used 2002 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

Excellent SUV for family travel
By skarland

2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first SUV. I bought in 2010 with 96,000 miles. Now it has 125,000 miles. Things I have done: brakes, a set of new tires, regular motorcraft oil change every 3k miles. No major repair. For people complains the transmission problems, it's better to customize it with an external ATF filter and extra big ATF cooler. You should check the ATF level regularly and also its temperature (I also add a temp gauge). Because ford put a sealed transmission with this SUV, there is no way for regular person to check the ATF fluid level. With all these done, you won't have a failed transmission. Recently I drove this car from Austin Texas all the way to Buffalo NY, and back to Austin, never failed.

2002 Ford Explorer XLT - WEIRD EXPENSIVE REPAIRS!
By prazb2jc

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased used in 2004. Clear CarFax, 1-owner, under 50,000 miles. 2 mths later Oil Leak, output seal leaking, replaced seal. In '06, replace leaking axle seals, May '07 loose front driver's side wheel bearings, rear noise inspected on lift, differential removed to find cause, replaced both front wheel bearings; noise STILL there. June '07 vibration & noise, remove rear differential, disassemble, left carrier bearing and cup failed, discoloration of bearing, replaced pinion & carrier bearings & cups, replace axle support bearings and seals, replace pinion seal, replace left rear wheel bearing, replace speed sensors, just tip of the iceberg repair list. Not worth it - horrible riding!

2002 Ford Explorer xlt
By stevieray573

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle used 3 years ago. Currently has 115,000 miles on it. two years ago, rear differential started to whine (very common problem on this vehicle). I was told by several sources that the rear will last anywhere from 1,ooo to 1o,ooo miles and will cost a few grand to replace. Two windows died during the past winter (one was the motor, the other was the track). This vehicle will coat alot to maintain. If you can get over the rear differential problem, it is a good vehicle that will get you anywhere (I have taken it off road a few times, and the snow & ice of PA has never stopped me). Also, the little problems seem to add up alot!

It's power and 4x4 performance. Very comfortable inside with lots of space!

Build it mechanically better!

My Baby (a 2002) has over 200,000 miles!
By nikkio

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have to tell you .. this is a reliable family vehicle! I have a 2002 Ford Explorer 4.0 (4x4). We have the third seat. We purchased it in 2002 with about 18K miles on it. I am a mother of 3 & 5'10". I have total confidence in this vehicle! You will always have slight issues with vehicles but, this vehicle held out for many years! I have over 200,000 miles and have only done the following: - basic tune ups - brakes -oil changes every 3,000 miles (Motorcraft synthetic blend) - all four wheel barrings (But at 200,000 miles!) - Replaced the lower housing unit - it started to overheat (at 200,000 miles!) I'm getting a new truck after the holidays and will be getting a new Ford Explorer!

I love the third seat. We are a family of 5 and this gives space where needed and still have a decent amount of trunk space. It's really a smooth ride. Doing 75 on the hwy is a breeze!

I wish they put an extra layer of clear coat on the back of the vehicle... it faded a bit.. but only after the vehicle sat in the sun (we live in FL) for many years... then it started to peel... overall, it is still in gorgeous condition, even after 200,000 miles!

2002 Ford Explore Limited 4.6L V8
By carguy03

2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle in October 2010, and really liked it, but after I drove it for a while, I realized that I didn't have enough leg room, I'm 6'4". The Explorer had a lot of power, and would get you where you needed to go!

Pearl White exterior paint. Electric everything. Power from the 4.6L V8.

Interior build quality was less than I expected. Could use more MPGs, I averaged about 11-15 MPG.