Used 2002 Ford Explorer Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Explorer - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Explorer

View reviews for a specific Explorer model:

2002 Ford Explorer xlt
By stevieray573

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle used 3 years ago. Currently has 115,000 miles on it. two years ago, rear differential started to whine (very common problem on this vehicle). I was told by several sources that the rear will last anywhere from 1,ooo to 1o,ooo miles and will cost a few grand to replace. Two windows died during the past winter (one was the motor, the other was the track). This vehicle will coat alot to maintain. If you can get over the rear differential problem, it is a good vehicle that will get you anywhere (I have taken it off road a few times, and the snow & ice of PA has never stopped me). Also, the little problems seem to add up alot!

Favorite Features

It's power and 4x4 performance. Very comfortable inside with lots of space!

Suggested Improvements

Build it mechanically better!

My Baby (a 2002) has over 200,000 miles!
By nikkio

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have to tell you .. this is a reliable family vehicle! I have a 2002 Ford Explorer 4.0 (4x4). We have the third seat. We purchased it in 2002 with about 18K miles on it. I am a mother of 3 & 5'10". I have total confidence in this vehicle! You will always have slight issues with vehicles but, this vehicle held out for many years! I have over 200,000 miles and have only done the following: - basic tune ups - brakes -oil changes every 3,000 miles (Motorcraft synthetic blend) - all four wheel barrings (But at 200,000 miles!) - Replaced the lower housing unit - it started to overheat (at 200,000 miles!) I'm getting a new truck after the holidays and will be getting a new Ford Explorer!

Favorite Features

I love the third seat. We are a family of 5 and this gives space where needed and still have a decent amount of trunk space. It's really a smooth ride. Doing 75 on the hwy is a breeze!

Suggested Improvements

I wish they put an extra layer of clear coat on the back of the vehicle... it faded a bit.. but only after the vehicle sat in the sun (we live in FL) for many years... then it started to peel... overall, it is still in gorgeous condition, even after 200,000 miles!

2002 Ford Explore Limited 4.6L V8
By carguy03

2002 Ford Explorer Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased this vehicle in October 2010, and really liked it, but after I drove it for a while, I realized that I didn't have enough leg room, I'm 6'4". The Explorer had a lot of power, and would get you where you needed to go!

Favorite Features

Pearl White exterior paint. Electric everything. Power from the 4.6L V8.

Suggested Improvements

Interior build quality was less than I expected. Could use more MPGs, I averaged about 11-15 MPG.

Great until it hit 100k miles!
By chase2634

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought mine used in 2004 with around 30k miles. Aside from general maintenance this vehicle was great until it 100k miles. Wheel bearings, cracked rear panel out of the blue due to design flaw and now at 150k miles the transmission is on the way out. Just got the dreaded blinking over drive light and found out my new trans will cost about 2k.

Favorite Features

4wd when it works

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, wheel bearings, rear panel design.

BIG time TRANNY issues/Bearings also
By tracydeech

2002 Ford Explorer XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Mine was a demo when I bought with few miles on. Absolutely loved it for the first 6 years. 09 is or 08 is when I saw problems. The heat/AC went out. And then the wheel bearing started going (every 6-8 months one would need fixed) It has around 120k miles on it. Tranny died 3 weeks ago!-and on top of that 2 more wheel bearings need fixed on it plus tie rods. AND it is a gas guzzler! Its paid off but it is still costing me lots to keep it! So I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with my explorer. Goes GREAT in snow(only reason why I would consider keeping).I'm going for a more economical vehicle now.

Favorite Features

drives great in snow.. comfortable cabin.. love 3rd row seating for xtra people

Suggested Improvements

make a tranny that last and figure out the wheel bearing situation.